Beginners and Beyond

Need recommendations for neutral cushioned shoes (Read 98 times)

LRB

I tried on the Mizuno wave rider 16's (moderate cushion) and the Mizuno wave enigma (max cushion) last night at the race expo, and both were nice and roomy.

I have been running in a stability shoe for the past two years but am going to experiment with a neutral shoe for the off-season.

I am leaning towards the Asics nimbus 15 to start off, since I really respect their brand having run in two of their models without issue this season.  But I may go with one of the Mizuno's as they both felt nice.

I also looked at the Pearl Izumi EM road N1 and N2, which are nice looking shoes.  I am kicking myself for not trying them on as I race in their tops and shorts so the shoe would basically complete the ensemble.

Rats.

StepbyStep-SH

I just picked up a pair of Asics Cumulus 14s on discount and although I can't put my finger on exactly why, I really don't like them very much.  (I loved the 13s and went through several pairs.)  I'm glad I didn't pick up two pairs.  I also don't like the changes to the Saucony Ride.  I used to like them a lot, and with the last pair I bought, my legs feel beat up after I run in them.

My go-to shoe had been the Asics Landreth, which of course Asics in their wisdom discontinued.

Next pair for me will either be to try the Cumulus 15, or another pair of Mizuno Wave Riders.  I don't really like anything right now in the neutral class.

I thought of you when I posted this, since I knew you also leaned heavy on the Cumulus and Rides. I did buy a second pair of Cumulus 14s - they'll work, just not quite right.

You might like the NB1080s if you can get past the price point - they retail up in the same range as Nimbus. I've bought a couple on close-out that I have liked.

But I think after reading this thread (and the ones I posted on RWOL BF and Shoe forum), I'll try to get somewhere to try on: Mizuno Wave Riders, Brooks Launch, Ghost & Glycerin, Nike Pegasus, and the Cumulus 15s. See if I get a gut response on any of those in the store.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

I ran in the Cumulus 14s today and they seem stiffer and less flexible than the 13s.  I think that's why I don't like them.  I'll use them, I'm just not fond of them.

I've run in New Balance shoes with success before, but the price point on the 1080 is a deal breaker for me.  Sad

I really liked the Saucony Ride, but whatever change they made didn't agree with me.

Hope you find something you like.  I went away from the Wave Rider after not liking one version, but I think that may again become my "go-to" shoe.  I have a pair of 15s that I like.