Beginners and Beyond

Would you run a race with someone else's bib? (Read 113 times)

I did it once in a 5K. But I talked with the RD before the race and had him remove the number from the official results. The bib was from a gal and I would have messed up the AG awards.

B-Plus

I was going to come on here with a simple one-word answer, "no," but I like this idea of removing the timing chip. Just make sure you take the precautions Birdwell and others have pointed out.

RSX

I have never done it, but know people on both sides (giving and running) so don't see it as all that bad. As an example the Falmouth Road Race is a lottery. Some people register every runner in their family, and worry about their availability later. 1 of my friends has ended up with extra #'s a few times, or knows others in the same boat so offers them around.

I do like the idea of removing the chip.

Philliefan33

I see no issue if you remove the chip or don't cross the finishing mat.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I'd remove the timing chip and run it. You won't look out of place and you won't show up in the results.

- Andrew

Love the Half

To me, unless it's with the permission of the RDs, I equal it to banditing the race.

Agreed.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I wouldn't do it, but I have no qualms about someone else doing it. Until they take an award (regardless if it is mine or not).

Of course I am just a runner, if I were in the medical field or race support I might find it less than acceptable.

tracilynn

Do it do itEvil

~~~~~~~

Traci

Ric-G

did it once with permission of one of the organizers whose son was not going to run...i didn't wear the chip.

I guess I would be going to runner hell too, because I would do it if I didn't wear the timing chip.

marathon pr - 3:16

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Funny this thread popped up.  While perusing the Chicago results to goof on B-Plus, I stumbled upon this.  The winner of the 15-19 yr old age group was Brianna Eaton from Annapolis in a blazing 2:42:00.  First place, nice job for a young girl.  Here is a picture of her from Marathon photo.

This is why running with false bibs is not good.  Clearly messed up the AG awards.

LRB

Not really understanding the whole it is okay if you remove the chip thing.  If you are going to step into the corral to race with someone else's bib in the first place, what difference does it make if you take the chip off, you are already racing with someone else's bib.  That would be like halfway breaking the law, e.g. stealing a six pack of beer, but paying for the chips and dip. If you are going to race the stupid thing, race it.  Just don't win it, which would open an entirely different can of worms.  ; )

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Just pay the fawking money to race.  I'm a certified cheap azz but even I won't do it.

You people have issues 

Not really understanding the whole it is okay if you remove the chip thing.  If you are going to step into the corral to race with someone else's bib in the first place, what difference does it make if you take the chip off, you are already racing with someone else's bib.  That would be like halfway breaking the law, e.g. stealing a six pack of beer, but paying for the chips and dip. If you are going to race the stupid thing, race it.  Just don't win it, which would open an entirely different can of worms.  ; )

I'm not making a statement on right vs. wrong but...

...most races use chip times for AG awards. If you don't have a chip you don't show up in the official results. The bib doesn't really have anything to do with it in those cases. Perhaps a subtle difference but at least you aren't taking something away from someone else.

But, in my opinion, if you are fast enough to place overall you really shouldn't be using another person's bib.

Jess runs for bacon

Did you send them an email?

Funny this thread popped up.  While perusing the Chicago results to goof on B-Plus, I stumbled upon this.  The winner of the 15-19 yr old age group was Brianna Eaton from Annapolis in a blazing 2:42:00.  First place, nice job for a young girl.  Here is a picture of her from Marathon photo.

This is why running with false bibs is not good.  Clearly messed up the AG awards.

aponi

never runs the tangents

I just want to switch my chip with DH's to get a PR.

plus it would make him batshit insane

bonus

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who