Beginners and Beyond

Santa Rosa (CA) HM - RR with a few pics in living color! (Read 82 times)

Reebokabec

Great job under not so great circumstances! How frustrating for your wife, but it sounds like she gave it her all.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. As always it is much appreciated and they help to keep me going. Smile

Like I said, this was a great race and like WC, you should put it on your short list. I really liked the small town feel to it, the slow pace of Santa Rosa, just a good vibe all around. LRB and Docket would enjoy the wine and could easily spend a few days going on wine tasting tours.  Come on out and we could have one fun FE.  Even if I just do the HM again, it is still worth the trip.

Traci: DW has no plans (as of today) for another marathon, although that could change in a few seconds.

Nice pacing Klompus! Excellent race considering the injury and lack of training.

Can't believe DW came so close, twice. Crazy.

Dave

GinnyinPA

That sounds like a really nice race.  I wish I were closer.

I'm sorry your wife came so close without attaining her goal.  Still, she should be proud of the effort.  Sub four is still a good race.

I'm glad your butt pain mostly held off for the race so you could enjoy it.  Good job on keeping up the pace despite the lack of recent good training. Your previous hard work helped you get through.

outoftheblue

You had a great attitude for your HM and did very well considering your injury and training.   It really looks like a nice race.  I'm going to keep this one on the back of my mind for next year.   It sounds like I need to make hotel reservations well in advance, however.  I'm glad that Motel 6 didn't collapse down on your heads.

I really feel for your wife.  It sounds like she gave it her all and ran a great race, so there are no regrets.  Still being short of BQ by only a few seconds must be so frustrating.   The silver lining is that the motivation will be there for next year.

Life is good.

Brilliant

Great report!  I'm glad you & your wife were both OK with your times, although wow - how hard it must be to miss your goal by 16 seconds!

I have some friends who did this race also and tried to get me to go.  But I had to take my 18yo son to the airport on Sunday - his first semester away, so I felt I couldn't miss it!   I'm putting it on my list for next year.  Hubby and I love Sonoma County.  One friend signed up at an expo and got a bottle of wine and some swag (a sweatshirt maybe?) at signup, so I'm going to try to sign up in person instead of online. Smile

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Nice job, Brad!!

My first thought was....."Whoaaa!!  I wonder if Brad felt the earthquake??"   That was a pretty good one!

Man, hope that piriformis goes away soon!

I still gotta find us a fall race!!  

Randy

SheCan

Congratulations to you and your wife, Jack!   Y'all are such good athletes.  Even with the injury you did fantastic.   I'm always amazed  at what you're able to pull off.   It really sucks that your wife was so, so SO freaking close to BQing, but wow at that time anyway.  Most anybody would be thrilled for such times, especially as short of time as she has been running.

And this race sounds fabulous!  I want to do a race that starts at a winery and give away wine as swag!  Beautiful medals too.  Only thing missing from this report was a youtube video of you singing "Ring of Fire"!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Good showing after the injury, Jack.

Sooo close for Mrs. K again.. if she decides to do another marathon, she'd likely have to do two more marathons Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats to you and the DW!  Wow, you two are speedy!

If you want a destination race and you like wine, put this one on your calendar.

I might just do that...if they had an accompanying 5K or 10K.  Stupid back won't let me do distance running anymore.   

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congrats to you and the DW!  Wow, you two are speedy!

If you want a destination race and you like wine, put this one on your calendar.

I might just do that...if they had an accompanying 5K or 10K.  Stupid back won't let me do distance running anymore.   

They do have a 5K...or at least they did this year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Cyberic

Nice RR. Enjoyed that. Nice intro that explains the state of mind and body you were in. Personnally I don't travel to run. I run and race local. But the way you describe it, I would have liked it too.

Ric-G

nice job and great report....falling really sucks, glad it wasn't worse...and big congrats to your wife as a marathon is never easy...

marathon pr - 3:16

B-Plus

Great report and nice strong finish for you on your longest run in a while. That's tough for Mrs. JK.