Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILIES (Read 40 times)

Gale-force, "sink the Edmund Fitzgerald" wind going on right now.  Easy day might be downgraded to hmm, no.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am a little miffed to be on antibiotics for a UTI during the weekend.  No martinis! 

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Gale-force, "sink the Edmund Fitzgerald" wind going on right now.  Easy day might be downgraded to hmm, no.

Stay safe (and grounded, please).

Damaris

StepbyStep-SH

Phil - Sorry to hear that. Those hills, on a winter of TM training, had to have been killer. I like what LRB said - you got a kick-ass workout today that will make you stronger for your marathon.

Dtothe2nd - Congrats on the great race!

Lily - Banana bread French toast: Slice banana bread, dredge 4 slices in (2 eggs, splash of milk, splash of vanilla, 1 tsp sugar - whisked), cook on a griddle over medium heat until the egg mixture is set on both sides, butter and sprinkle with just a touch of powdered sugar. Devour.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

LRB -- Good luck with the wind.  It can wreck havoc on speed.

Sister girl you ain't never lied!  I had been thinking about this stupid workout for four days only to get out there and get tossed around like a baseball at a boy scout jamboree!

I was unable to run at mile pace for much of the workout but definitely ran at mile effort, which is just as important when running hills or into a headwind.

This was actually a workout I came up with myself and the idea was to run for the longest duration last, thereby testing ones ability to keep going while in duress.

Daniels does not recommend running mile pace for 800 meters at my speed but I have tweaked quite a bit of his teachings to my benefit thus far.

4 x 400

2 x 600

1 x 800

I took full recoveries and ended up with 9 miles total.  2.2 of them @ 6:05.  All in all, I made the best of the situation.

happylily

Phil - Sorry to hear that. Those hills, on a winter of TM training, had to have been killer. I like what LRB said - you got a kick-ass workout today that will make you stronger for your marathon.

Dtothe2nd - Congrats on the great race!

Lily - Banana bread French toast: Slice banana bread, dredge 4 slices in (2 eggs, splash of milk, splash of vanilla, 1 tsp sugar - whisked), cook on a griddle over medium heat until the egg mixture is set on both sides, butter and sprinkle with just a touch of powdered sugar. Devour.

OMG, it sounds so good! Would a tiny bit of maple syrup instead of powdered sugar be overkill? I have to try it. Thank you, Shari! I will report to you with the result. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Not quite that strong but I definitely had my share of that crap today!  I am sure you will do what you feel is best.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

OMG, it sounds so good! Would a tiny bit of maple syrup instead of powdered sugar be overkill? I have to try it. Thank you, Shari! I will report to you with the result. 

Wait until you hear her recipe for slow cooking scalloped potatoes with ham.

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The conversation started because a lot of people who were picking up bibs for the marathon were expressing being very nervous because their training wasn't up to snuff due to the awful winter we've had, and the time limit for this marathon was 5 hours. And the woman looked at me and rolled her eyes and said, "Come ON! People are nervous about not finishing a marathon in under 5 hours, that is WALKING! They could walk the whole thing and finish fine, they're being ridiculous." Obviously, I looked her up on Athlinks when I got home, and her races times are nothing special. I know she runs a lot of races with her 10 year old son, but she mentioned that he often dusts her, so she can't claim he slows her down. Her 5K PR is 27:43. Mine is 28:16. Go to hell! LOL...... but she did give me a free running jacket sooooo whatever.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

Would a tiny bit of maple syrup instead of powdered sugar be overkill?

Maple syrup and overkill do not belong in the same sentence dear.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The conversation started because a lot of people who were picking up bibs for the marathon were expressing being very nervous because their training wasn't up to snuff due to the awful winter we've had, and the time limit for this marathon was 5 hours. And the woman looked at me and rolled her eyes and said, "Come ON! People are nervous about not finishing a marathon in under 5 hours, that is WALKING! They could walk the whole thing and finish fine, they're being ridiculous." Obviously, I looked her up on Athlinks when I got home, and her races times are nothing special. I know she runs a lot of races with her 10 year old son, but she mentioned that he often dusts her, so she can't claim he slows her down. Her 5K PR is 27:43. Mine is 28:16. Go to hell! LOL...... but she did give me a free running jacket sooooo whatever.

Wannabe elites....

Damaris

LRB

Honestly though, the idea that it might be warm enough for shorts has me on the giddy side.

Bawahahahahaha!  Man it was not even close with them winds!

DavePNW

Bawahahahahaha!  Man it was not even close with them winds!

Yeah I was scratching my head at that shorts comment. It was pushing 30 but windchill in the teens. And I dress for the windchill. Although I felt like I needed to bundle up when running into the wind, and strip down when the wind was at my back (and when the sun came out).

Dave

Zelanie

Got my 15 miler done, so the same mileage as Lily's recovery day today.   That's the second of three 15's that I hope to get in before my half, so almost there!  That way the HM distance will be seriously no big deal, right?

Had some strawberry popcorn for recovery, and made some pizza dough for pizza and cards at the in-laws tonight.  Now I just gotta stop eating for long enough to get in the shower. 

Phil- Sounds like you had an awesome hill workout just a couple of weeks after frying your legs on your ski trip.  I'm sure you're just going to recover stronger from it!

D2- Congrats on the "race".  Strong run!

Dave- Nice LR!

LRB

Yeah I was scratching my head at that shorts comment. It was pushing 30 but windchill in the teens. And I dress for the windchill.

I hear ya man but it is hard to glide like a gazelle when you are trapped in a snowsuit.  I wanna glide dang it!