Beginners and Beyond

Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon Recap (Read 48 times)

Runshortii

Okay, I guess I'll make this it's own thread lol

This was my first full marathon, I've ran on and off since xc and track in HS, have done 7 or 8 HMs since 2012 and started "seriously" training in...late 2015 or early  2016 I think? (Aka not slacking as much on my mileage). I followed the Higdon intermediate 2 plan for the most part, added some mileage here and there but kept the peak at 50 and didn't do as many of the MP runs. I've been injured in the past and was paranoid about getting injured. Training actually went really well (I guess that's what happens when you're consistent with mileage and don't do 20 miles one week and 36 the next). I ran a 1:37:44 HM in September (4 minute PR) and tentatively wanted to run under 3:35 if possible...I knew a BQ would require a BQ -3-5 minutes and I had  tentatively planned running a spring marathon, assuming I didn't swear off marathons all together, so the BQ wasn't as a huge deal to me. And it was my first full so I had idea what to expect.

Lakefront is put on by the local running club and is in something like it's 35th year. It's a point to point that starts in Grafton and ends in Milwaukee. It's a rolling course with a net downhill and a huge downhill the last few miles as you get closer to the lake. Temp at the start was around 48 I think, temp at the end was probably 65ish. No real wind until a 16-20mph headwind the last few miles.

It was a nice race (around 2,000 runners, and only a marathon, no HM attached.). The start was super organized, and you could use the bathrooms inside the high school. My bf and I drove up to Grafton, but they had a lot of shuttle busses from Milwaukee as well. I did a few warm up strides and some stretching but that was it. They had a 3:40 and a 3:30 pacer but no 3:35 pacer. I started with the 3:40 pace group just so I wouldn't go out too fast (which I'm glad I did because as you can see they were ahead of a 3:40 pace anyway). I didn't start off feeling that great, and I left the pace group around mile 4 ish (so congested, on a side note I'm glad I didn't do Chicago for my first, I want to do Chicago eventually, but I think the size would have freaked me out.) and kept trying to push into the lower 8:00s but I felt like I was having to push it and I remember onemile saying that if the pace isn't coming to you naturally it might be too fast lol so I just went with it . Plus I had a lingering side stitch from like miles 2-5. And I kept thinking "omg it's only mile 5 I'm never going to make it 20 more miles" I started feeling pretty decent around miles 7-8 (it goes through the Concordia U campus and they had one of their bands playing which was kind of cool) and told myself to just hold it until the half and then to try to speed it up if I still felt good. I took a Gu at miles 4 and 10. Future note to self: don't wash down Gu with gatorade  I didn't lose it or anything, but just not a pleasant aftertaste.

I felt good at the half (and coincidently my half split was my HM PR up until 2015 I think, 1:48:12) and just kept telling myself if I could make it to 20 I could make it 6 more miles. I felt okay through 20..had taken a GU at mile 15 and planned on taking one at 20 but didn't think I could stomach it. I took water though somewhere around there. Told myself if I could just make it 2 more miles, then it was only 4 more miles I could easily do 4 more miles (oh the mind games we play). Then somewhere before 21 the wheels started coming off. I wasn't breathing that hard, but my legs just did not want to move anymore ( I guess this must be the wall lol). I felt like I was still putting in the same effort when I ran an 8:40 mile than when I ran a 8:00 mile. Luckily at this point it's a lot of downhill as you start coming down by Lake Michigan in Milwaukee so that helped, although when your quads and hip flexors are screaming a downhill isn't really that fun lol. There was kind of a nasty headwind too on and off from mile 20 that got worse towards the end. Goes with the point to point course I guess. I still passed quite a few people in the second half, and even when I slowed I still managed to pass people as I saw a lot walking. I really really wanted to walk but was pretty sure I would never start running again if I did. I had a pretty big kick the last .2 (according to strava 7:33 pace. oops.) but I think that was really just because I was so damn happy to be done. And then once I stopped and started walking around my legs almost felt worse than when I was running  My lungs weren't spent at the end like a 5K or even a HM, but damn, those last few miles trying to make it when your lungs/heart want to go and your legs are about to fall off is tough. Positive split was only 45 seconds or something like that, so not too bad.

I liked that at the end of the chute was a huge area only for runners, and spectators had to wait outside the fence in another section. I'm not sure if it's like that for other marathons, but for the HM/FM combos I've ran it's been kind of just a free for all at the end. I like that there was a section for the runners to collect themselves and not get bombarded by family. I would run this race again, it's really well organized and put on by the local running club which I like. And the food bag came with an orange, which is my favorite post race food  There was also free beer, and you didn't have to rip off one of those stupid "free beer tag" from your bib.

It was good, I'm happy. 3:35 would have been nice, but I would have needed a bigger buffer for a BQ anyway. Plus my mileage is low and I figure (hope) with more mileage under my belt I can get a BQ 

Favorite sign was definitely "you only have a shitload more miles to go" and the guy on his front lawn re-enacting the Will Ferrell cowbell skit from SNL 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Great execution. I did the exact same mind game in mine--I think it helped, somehow at that point 2 or 4 miles seemed a lot less scary than mile 24.

Cyberic

I'm so happy for you that you had a great first marathon experience. It's all yours now! Wear it proudly!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Congratulations! Pfitz would say that's a great slightly positive split. I've seen that sign before - about 6 hours into a 24 hour race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

oldfartrunner

Great Job Shortii! Yeah, you deserve a separate thread and will BQ easy with a little more mileage and training.

GinnyinPA

Great job!  I'm so glad you enjoyed your first.

bluerun

Super B****

That's very impressive for your first marathon!  Congratulations 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

GC100k

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good time there in my home town.

Coastal

Great RR.  Congrats on an even better race!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats!  Great performance!

And yes, most larger marathons are like that after the finish.

Damaris

delicate flower

Really great job, shorti!  Damn fine execution for a marathon veteran, let alone a first timer.  Looking at your log, I am impressed at your avg heart rate.  A 181 avg would have me puking.  I can't even hit that in a 5K.

The closed off finish area has been there for all 8 marathons I've done, and it's nice to have that space right after the race.  Philadelphia was the best.  You have to walk like a quarter mile to get out of the finish area.  Lots of space to sit and chill before having to deal with the swarms of spectators.

<3

onemile

Congrats again shorti. This is a race I have always sort of wanted to do.  I'm glad you had a good experience for your first and it sounds like you did everything right. It really doesn't get any better than a 45 sec positive split

Runshortii

Really great job, shorti!  Damn fine execution for a marathon veteran, let alone a first timer.  Looking at your log, I am impressed at your avg heart rate.  A 181 avg would have me puking.  I can't even hit that in a 5K.

I think my max is around 203, that's the highest I've seen anyway

LRB

Very nicely done. You have come a long way in your running career!

Great point about running after stopping. I've done it twice in 5 races and it's absolutely awful.

I loved the video, too. You looked like you just ran a marathon. That's now you do it!

Damn girl, that's one hell of a first marathon!!!!  Well, well, well executed.  I hated my first marathon, and as a result, it is my only marathon.  That was 14 years ago, and I'm still skurrd.  I cannot tell you how impressed I am that you nailed this so hard THE FIRST TIME.  Well done, and congratulations!