Beginners and Beyond

9th Annual 5K Turtle Trot-Lovers Key State Park, Ft. Myers Beach, Florida (Read 45 times)

Hey gang, how's it going? I have been around, lurking mostly, and havent done much racing over the last year. I did one 5K in March and did'nt do too bad and then this one last weekend.

I found this 5K last year while planning our annual trip to the beach. Its a small but growing event with nearly 700 participants this year. Which is alot considering the crushed coral trails we run on are barely 10-12 feet wide.

The race was Saturday May 10 which was the day before the end of our beach vacation. We had been there since the previous Sunday and spending time with the in laws a couple of days before. The state parker is about 7 miles from the condo we had rented for the week. So we had a nice bike ride to start the morning. Its a beautiful ride on the beach before sunrise. We have rented bikes the last couple of years instead of a car. What a great way to get around on the beach and get a little excersize.

The below is the sunrise over the mangroves once we got in to the park.

And this is shortly after the sunrise.

The race was to start at 8am with the temperature being in the mid 80's and humidity around 65%. I must say it is very differnt from running in central Illinois all winter! My DW and I did had a couple of good runs on the beach earlier in the week and we were looking forward to a good race.

Last year when we ran i had just come off a PB that ended with a painful knee problem. So we ran(jogged) this race together and enjoyed the scenery.  The 5K we had done in March this year ended with a 31:16 so i was hoping for under 30 minutes for this one. The course wound around the park thru the mangroves and along the water that had manatees and sharks! We were lucky enough to encounter a couple of manatees earlier in the week while paddleboarding.

The bridge you see kind of upper left is where the race ended on the beach. And below is the course itself, that is me in the yellow/greenish tank.

The race went very well for me considering having to wind and weave around everyone. I ran hard and finished strong. Unfortunately my Garmin had stopped working a few weeks prior(which Garmin has recentely replaced even out of warranty) so i resorted to using the Runmeter app on my iphone. I really like the app as it announces your pace every 1/4 mile.

And the big finish at the beach. The trail was pretty much crushed coral and shell with the finish being hard packed sand.

The race ended for me with a chip time of 29:42 9:33 pace............i was really pleased when i finished and looked at the Runmeter App. It had the course at 3.4 miles with a finish time of 29:31 and a 8:41 pace. This would put the 5K just under 27 minutes. Whatever the correct time I was please with the results given the SW Florida conditions. I can't imagain what D goes thru when it really gets warm!

Anyway the week was great. Toes in the sand, drinks on the table and my beautful wife of 28 years alongside every minuted of the way.

Perfect sunsets every evening.........

With a few surprises along the way. We came across a fisherman about a mile from where we were staying.......watched him for 30 minutes before he pulled this Lemon Shark out of the surf........should I be comforted in knowing they only feed at night?

Thanks for taking the time to ready my RR and hope to be more active in the forum. BTW: It was hard coming home to mid 60's and rain all week.....all we can do is look forward to next year!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job on the race!

Damaris

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Sounds like a fun race. Easy pace and great scenery. What a good way to finish off the vacation.

- Andrew

GinnyinPA

Looks like a nice place to run.  Was it terribly hot?  Good job breaking 30 minutes.

happylily

Congratulations! Beautiful pictures and vacation and you two make a great couple!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Looks like a nice place to run.  Was it terribly hot?  Good job breaking 30 minutes.

It really wasnt all that bad, just different from what i am used too this time of year. The midwest heat and humidity will be here before i know it.

First Race

Second Race

Scott

Congratulations! Beautiful pictures and vacation and you two make a great couple!

Why thanks Ms. Lilly.

First Race

Second Race

Scott

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Very cool. DW and I also like to find races when we are on vacation or trips. That looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

LRB

What a nice picture story of your vacation and race.  The pure essence of life and love!

Though I despise high temps for training and races, I would absolutely run a race such as that while on vacation.  There is something about being in paradise which changes my perspective on that!

Just curious if the high prices for events have traveled that far south yet and what kind of swag they offered.  Here one expect to pay anywhere from $30 to $45 for a 5k depending on when you register for it.  They are obsessed with providing  finishers medals which obviously drives up the costs.

What a nice picture story of your vacation and race.  The pure essence of life and love!

Though I despise high temps for training and races, I would absolutely run a race such as that while on vacation.  There is something about being in paradise which changes my perspective on that!

Just curious if the high prices for events have traveled that far south yet and what kind of swag they offered.  Here one expect to pay anywhere from $30 to $45 for a 5k depending on when you register for it.  They are obsessed with providing  finishers medals which obviously drives up the costs.

Actually this is truly all fundraiser and definitely no frills.....heck the tshirts where for the first 300 registrants and was the exact same white shirt with all sponsors listed on the back. The only change to the shirt was the 9th annual instead of the 8th. This was a $30 race too. So I'm more than happl to support the cause to help maintain a beautiful park and it's wildlife.

i wish more were like this race.

First Race

Second Race

Scott

Cool pics, Sparker!

Congrats, that must have been tough running on sand and in warm temps.

Zelanie

Wow, looks like a fantastic spot for a vacation and a race!  Congrats on getting sub-30!  Now you need to race in your home temps so you can set another PR. Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice race and great place to relax post-race!  Congrats!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Just B.S.

Good job and nice vacation!

We took our kids to FL for 10 days in 1999 and stayed on-site at Disney for 7 of those.

We went to the Fort Myers area afterward for a few days too recuperate.  It was lovely.