Beginners and Beyond

Think Tank Thursday Penguins! (Read 27 times)

GinnyinPA

Scotty - I do the late night finish the book thing all the time.  Fortunately, I don't have to get up at 5:30.  Hope you get your power nap.  And I agree, you can run 3 races in one weekend.  I am wiped out doing one!

Lauren - you may have been slow, but you finished 5 miles.  That's what matters.

Jimmy - 9 miles isn't so bad, but when you run with the group, you tend to push the speed.  Be careful.

Jerry - sorry about the pouring slush.  Sounds like a good time for a rest day.

Baconista - good job on the morning run. I am not a morning person.

D - is the lack of exercise starting to get to you, or are you enjoying the break?

Kristin - enjoy your yoga and running.  I've done some yoga (with a dvd) after running, never tried it before.  I wonder if it makes the run better since you start warmed up?

Z - I'm sorry to hear about Zoe's back issue coming back.  Did the vet say how long the shots are supposed to work?

HM - enjoy your spring day walk.  I would rather run in colder temps, but not in snow and ice.

SO42 - my husband is diabetic, and he has also found that more exercise and losing weight make a huge difference both in his meds and in what he can eat without having problems.  When we are doing long backpacking treks, he stops his meds entirely.  I wish he could run, but at least we get daily walks and that helps keep us both healthy.

AFM:  we had sunshine and blue skies while walking Ben earlier, but now the clouds are moving in for the next storm.  Still, it's 46, so I'm going for a run outdoors anyway before the rain starts.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

YEAH, BABY!!!  I am already packed and ready to go tomorrow morning. The weather there will be clear and in the high 50s low 60s, perfect for hiking and running. Oh man, this is going to be good! (Yes, I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl) I will try to get a few pictures.

I did a nice 6 mile tempo run last night and it felt good to run "fast" again. I might do a few recovery miles tonight.

Have a good day and weekend.  Smile

Dad on the run.

Mitch - Looking back at last year and I ran the Rumpshaker 5k at 26:46, my current best 5k is 25:45. Looking for a sub 25 this 5k, not sure If I can hold that pace since I've put on some exrta weight and haven't been back running long but I'm gonna give it my best shot. What are you looking to run it in?

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Docket - How long before your cleared to run again?

Supposedly three more weeks but he also said once I could walk 2 miles without pain to start jogging.  I will ask again next week at the appointment.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

D: good news! Smile

hog4life

SO42, Your last statement that Jimmy highlighted made me smile. I knew that the race would turn out okay, good for you on taking out the positive.

Jimmy, I hope to get better than 23:30. But after todays 3 mile tempo, that was supposed to be at 8:00, not sure that will happen. That's my goal, so I'll stick with it. Hey, we should plan to go eat afterwards.

Dad on the run.

Mitch - sounds good. We can eat at Rojo lol. Tonight will be my first night actually eating here so I'll let you know if it's good.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

Mitch - sounds good. We can eat at Rojo lol. Tonight will be my first night actually eating here so I'll let you know if it's good.

Lol, what is that? Maybe Cheescake Factory? When I first read that, I thought you said Rolo, lol.

SheCan

I wish I could be like some of the rest of you and get out there and knock out 10 miles or so with no problem!  However, my stupid old back just won't allow it anymore, causes me too much pain to do distance running these days.  

The friend i went hiking with today, used to be one of my most regular run partners.  He's had to give it up though because of his back.  He still has a great attitude though, and continues to bike, and hike.  His answer is always to have a backup plan.  You're an optimist.  You'll do what you can and stay in the game I know.  As much as you've been though, it's wonderful that you're still able to run.  Love ya, Scotty!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I got my run in. 4 miles by the water. Was sunny and 40 degrees felt so warm (funny what such a cold and snowy winter will do for perspective). Officially back to my old pre-injury easy pace, and scrapped the walk breaks except for a few really icy patches on the path I had to walk over (but none had me walking for more than maybe 20-30 seconds 1-2 times per mile).

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

I did a 6 mile loop this afternoon.  It would have been longer, but a very large German Shepherd mix ran out into the road and stopped me.  I was able to calm him down, even offered him a treat that he refused, but it seemed like a good idea to turn around rather than risk having him chase me down the road, and then do it again on my return.  Still, it felt like spring out there, even with the clouds.

Jack - have fun this weekend.  I do envy you your closeness to the red rock country.

Damaris - have you started walking already?

Kristin - I agree.  I've gotten to the point that anything above freezing is good, and even below that is doable if it's not icy or windy.   Mid-forties feels like spring.  Good news getting back up to speed so quickly.  I'm still not completely back to my previous pace, except on the really good days.  How is the foot?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not yet.  I am walking around the house and the fitbit says it's been 2-3 miles a day, but apart from cooking, doing things inside the house, I am not walking in addition to that.

Damaris

Dad on the run.

Mitch - Cheesecake is good! Never can go wrong there.

I only did 3 with the group since I did 3 with my buddy after work. My legs were screaming at me for making them run today after doing weights yesterday.. oh well, they actually feel better now that its all over than they did this morning so...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ginny my foot rarely bugs me and when it does it's usually not during the run but later at night. I will ice it before bed if it is bugging me and that takes care of it. And I wouldn't describe the feeling as pain really and it happens rarely. I promised myself if it ever hurt while running I would stop running immediately and walk home/get off the TM and thankfully it hasn't happened!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to