Beginners and Beyond

blisters from my trail shoes (Read 69 times)

monkkey

I am an occasional trail runner, and my trail shoes feel good on my feet while I'm running, until they end up giving me blisters and bleeding on the heel near the top of the upper.  I thought maybe they needed "breaking in", although my road shoes never have.  I've tried bandaging my heels beforehand with large bandaids or gauze, but that doesn't always work.  Is there something else I should try or should I just look for another pair of shoes?

This is my first pair of trail shoes and they have about 65 miles on them.  They are Asics Trail Attack.  I also run in neutral cushioned Asics road shoes, mainly Cumulus and Speedstar.

sugnim

You could maybe try a different sock, or try lacing your shoes differently to see if loosening or tightening up the opening will help.

Did you buy them from an LRS or store that might let you exchange them?  If I got blisters like that, I would probably look for a different pair of shoes.

I run in Asics as well, and I just use my road shoes on trails.  They work fine for me.  I'm not sure what kind of terrain you're running on though.

Anomalous

I'd try looking for a different trail shoe. I had a pair that didn't work out for me and so t ended up exchanging for a new pair of road shoes since my local LRS didn't have a great selection of trail shoes. I've been running in my road shoes which seem to be fine for the time being. Most of the course I run on is crushed gravel.

It was suggested by a friend to go to REI since they have a better stock. That's on my immediate to do list since the nearest one is over an hour away. Check to see if you have one in your area.

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

65 miles should be broken in.  If socks don't fix the problem, I really don't know if anything will.  I just don't see a bandage staying put.  That shoes may not work for you.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

monkkey

Great ideas everyone.  I didn't think about lacing or socks.  I do like having a trail shoe for some of the gnarlier trails and even gentler trails in the snow.

I've had them for a year and I bled on them though, so I won't be returning them.  I don't even mind shelling out for a new pair, but not sure how I picked so badly the first time around since they look and feel so similar to my road shoes which work well.  I think I'm going to try something not as stiff in the heel.  I'm in NYC and we have have REI and lots of good running stores so lots of shoes to try on!

Thank you for the responses.