Beginners and Beyond

Running my first HM this Saturday. (Read 106 times)

delicate flower

We've all been neurotic before races no matter the distance!  Heck, I've done an entire COUPLE DOZEN of them and I still get nervous before every one (kind of drives DW nuts).  You'll be fine though.  Looking at your log, you won't have any problems.  You got this.    Smile   I agree with LRB...soak it all in.

<3

Not much more to add that hasn't been said. Good luck and enjoy!

Mostly harmless

My first HM is on May 5 and you guys have really encouraged me and helped with the anxiety that has already set in.

I am going to crush this.

Thanks

Frederick is an awesome race for your first. Small enough that you aren't too crowded but plenty of crowd support, aid stations, etc..  I have not run a ton of races but Frederick is easily my favorite.

My only complaint with that race is the finish at the Fairgrounds.  After running the entire race on the streets the course takes you onto a horse track for the finish.  The change in running surface for the last .2 miles or so can come as a bit of a shock.  It's not terrible, but it is something that can throw you off if you aren't ready for it.

I wish they were able to offer a marathon like they used to. There were a lot of complaints from the community about road closures, etc so they switched to a HM only in 2011.  Anyway, good luck in your race and have fun!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Mmmmm...beer

I had no idea how to pace my first half, got talked into going out with a pacer that was a lil too fast for me.  Hung with him till about mile 8 and then started to fade.  Still hit my goal, but probably could have done a little bit better with better pacing.  For my second half, I had a tuneup race a month prior, that really helped me pick a race pace.  I'm running another half tomorrow, and since it's only been a month since my last one, I'm just gonna go for a lil faster pace and see how it goes.  But from now on I'll make sure to get a tuneup race in before a goal race if I haven't raced recently, that really helped.  I'm less nervous about tomorrow's race than I was for my last one, but I think that's because I had all winter to worry about the Shamrock, so there was a big buildup to the race.

Good luck, you're gonna do great!! Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Good luck racers- First time at a new distance is always fun, exciting, and a little nerve racking. If you have gotten in most of your runs, you will be fine. HAve fun with it, push yourself some, but dont kill yourself to the point that it isnt fun anymore.

Take pictures and enjoy a cold beverage afterwards Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My 2 cents is to stick with your plan.  I really like the idea of a "practice" race!  I'm sure that will lead to less surprises when you run the "real" race in May.  Treat this like a dress rehearsal and run it at your long run pace.  Enjoy the atmosphere and make it fun!  We run because it's fun, right?

MTA: Another bonus to running this one at LR pace is you'll get a great PR in May! Big grin

+1.  This is your first one, so just run it as planned, have fun with it, enjoy the experience.  This one will give you and idea of what to expect and help you form the plans for the upcoming one you really plan to race.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

Good luck tomorrow! You'll do fine, it's your first, so you can't go wrong. Enjoy!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

kettledrum

My first HM is in 3 weeks and I'm not nearly as anxious about it now as I was a couple of months ago (when I was injured).  Unfortunately, I know the anxiety will come back at some point closer to race day.  Reading this thread reminded me about how close race day actually is!

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good luck today!!!

Running for TJ because he can't.

Mostly harmless

Good luck all you first time HM racers today!  We want full race reports by COB today.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi