Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Pudding Thursdailies (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

on my way to badass

Good morning Penguins. Thanks for starting us off Scotty! I'm off to sit in a tree pretending to be Katniss.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

November 13th is National Indian Pudding Day.  What the heck is Indian Pudding?   Did they used to mix it up with some 'Custer"? 

Well, here is some Penguin Pudding instead....

Today is also Sadie Hawkins Day....

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Stonefence, what's katniss?  I know nothing about deer hunting...but I do have a couple of bucks in my wallet. 

Football game tonite at 7 PM.  My university team has a night-game, starting at 7 PM in the Alamodome.  Which means I will probably be worthless at work tomorrow, these night games usually run late.   So no running today.   Probably a good thing.  Dang cold weather, it went down to 35 this morning!  BRRRR!  I HATE cold weather, I am definitely a warm-weather person all the way.  Give me temps 55 and above FOREVER.

I did run after work last night when I got home.  Flippin' 42 degrees with a 20 mph wind making it feel more like the upper 30s.  I did wear running shorts out, but I had 2 layers on my upper body and my gloves.   Actually had a pretty nice run, did the hills in my neighborhood and ended up with 3.5 miles.

Also, got my Veteran's Day 5K race report posted.  Very inspiring watching some of the folks carrying the flag for the race.  Link to the reportt:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/c762fd7fd822479f88dd49efe39fb916/resume#focus

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Katniss, hope you get something today!  (only a week until the next movie; are you as excited as I am?)

Scotty, yikes, it seems you went overnight from the 90s to the 30s. We don't get blue northers here in SoCal.

I'm headed out to meet a friend for my run.  She wants to do 4; I wanted to do 7.  So we'll see if I feel like another 3 after she peels off. That's always discouraging!

tracilynn

Morning Katniss, scotty and Brill!

I got out early and did 4.3M in a feels like of 28 with a gusty north wind and it sucked!!  I hate wind. I think I rather run in 2° with calm or no wind!  Ugh.   Im such a wuss.

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Traci, but you got it done.

Scotty, good luck at the ball game.

Stone, I need to get my license so I can go sit in a tree. Running seems to interfere with that, lol.

8.4 miles for me in the same temps like Traci. It was 32 with feels like 25 when I went out. Bella loves the colder temps morethan I do. Perfect except for the wind. I aactually got the tights out and wore them.

Zelanie

May the odds be ever in our favor.

SRD for me today.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  Today is a SRD for me.  That means lots of studying - I have my human physiology final exam due by Sunday so I have to do a bit of catch up :-)  Contemplating a massage later if I can get what I need to do done.

Happy Thursday all!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Hi pens! It was finally cold enough to dress for winter today!! Big grin Tried out my new fancy tights and they are just lovely. Did 6 through the woods and by the lake Smile

Singer who runs a smidge

So bring us some figgy pudding, please bring us some figgy pudding.  Oh bring us some figgy pudding, and bring it right now!
                        Ok, that's the first thing that popped into my head upon reading Scotty's title.  Though partly it's because the chorus and quartet are both hot on Christmas music now, and I spent my morning commute listening to the CD of my church choir Christmas musical.
                        I'm all dressed up for my lecture this evening.  I should find time for a nap beforehand ...

Stone -- I don't think the deer in my neighborhood are trophies, but you're more than welcome to come thin them out by bow so that we don't have to thin them out by car!!

scotty -- Sadie Hawkins, maybe I should ask DH to dance tonight!!  Have fun at the game!!

Brilliant -- have a good 4 or 7!!

traci -- Ick, what a nasty run!  Good on you for getting it done!!

hog -- I'm wearing leggings under my skirt, it's a tights kind of day!!

Zelanie -- enjoy your SRD!!

sapf -- enjoy your SRD and studying!!  Well, enjoy the SRD, anyway ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Lauren, glad your tights are lovely!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens:

Katniss: Good luck!

Scotty: Have fun at the game. Too bad you don't have a proper outdoor stadium there.

Brilliant: I saw your message about the 5k. It's not far from you and you would be home by 11:00. Let me know if you change your mind.

Traci: "Feels like" 28 is cold and I doubt you are a wuss. Two HMs in two weeks?! You're no wuss!

Hog: Does Bella wear a sweater?

Gotta go!  Hi everyone else!  As for me, SRD!!

Word.

PADRunner

Morning Penguins! I feel like one  this morning. My summary page says the 'feels like' temp is 18 this morning, and it definitely felt like it!

Got a new plan from my coach over night.

Today's workout was 30 min warmup, 5 x 1K with 3 min rest between. About 6 total for the day.

Brilliant

Hello again!

I only ran 4.  Then I stopped at TJs, then Costco for gas.  Then I was hungry so I tried a different place for the post-run burrito.  Ham Breakfast Burrito at my regular place: $5, 1 lb 6.5 oz.  Ham Breakfast Burrito at new place : $6, 15.5 oz.  It was good but I'll go back to my regular place next time.  (although it begs the question do I really need a pound and a half of burrito?  I usually only do that on long-run days, so maybe the answer is yes!)

HopesMom - with all that choir practice, I bet your head is filled every minute of every day with songs!  I used to work my daughter's musical theater shows, and for weeks after, I couldn't get the songs out of my head.  A friend texted me a line from Les Mis this morning and for the last hour I've been humming "One More Day"!  (and Les Mis was almost 4 years ago)

Lauren, I love new gear.  Glad you enjoyed it.

Jack, happy rest day.  I'll let you know if I change my mind; meanwhile I'll save at least one bag of donated clothes to get my $5 if I do!

Sapf and Zel, happy rest day.

Traci and Mitch - Brr!  Hope you stayed warm enough.

PAD - a coach?  How does that work for you?  Is it an online relationship or IRL?

ETA: Traci, I just stole your "run the whole 13.1 without walk breaks" as a 2015 goal!