Beginners and Beyond

Dallas Hot Chocolate 15k - RR (Read 61 times)

Pinktastic

Congrats, PAD!  Way to get it done!   Hope your knee is feeling better today!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

That is some swag worth running for.  Nice!

MothAudio

I've read some bad reviews on this series. How would you grade it from an athletic perspective. Were there corrals? Was the course condusive to racing? Mile markers and course length accurate? A/G awards? I know it's pretty expensive for a 9.3 mile race. 15k is my favorire distance and there are so few of them. This race was held in my city last year and was curious.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

PADRunner

I've read some bad reviews on this series. How would you grade it from an athletic perspective. Were there corrals? Was the course condusive to racing? Mile markers and course length accurate? A/G awards? I know it's pretty expensive for a 9.3 mile race. 15k is my favorire distance and there are so few of them. This race was held in my city last year and was curious.

I can't really comment on the 5K but I'd say there were more there for the chocolate than the race. Smile. There were corrals 8 for the 5k and 5 for the 15k released 3 min apart. It was a little high but I registered early so it wasn't to bad, and the hoodie seems to be pretty good. The 15k was well laid out and I'd say very conducive to racing.  Well marked with clocks at each mile marker, my time was about 10 min from the gun time, and timing pads at 5k & 10K. Plenty of water and Gatorade stops, that were still stocked and well manned when I went through late. My iPhone died around mile 7 but I'd say the course was accurate. +- .05

The 15k started 45 minutes after the 5k, 20 after the last 5k corral. The courses used a little common route at the beginning and some at the end but I don't think they had any problems intermingling between them, the 5k's were out of the way before the 10k's got there, but I was near the back so can't say for sure. When I finished most of the 5k crowd was gone.

Some hills and a couple of overpasses through some nice and OK neighborhoods, all good streets, made it a nice interesting course.

My half training calendar called for a 10k race and I saw this one so I thought it would be fun to do it. Overall I'd give it an A. It's one of the biggest I've been in and I think it went pretty well. Only thing you had to go to the expo for packet pickup and the expo was not much, but I'm just a penguin so take it for what it's worth.

MothAudio

Thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds pretty good. I checked results and surprised only 14 people ran between 50 - 59 minutes for the 15k. Even with a 20 minute delay after the last 5k corral those folks still caught a handful of the 5k finishers.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Zelanie

Congrats, PAD, nice race and great swag!  Hope the knee is healing up with the rest.

Ursa

Spam