Beginners and Beyond

Kansas City area Runner Missing Since Monday (Read 177 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

I wear my road ID on the wrist every time I run/ride outside.

Its piece of mind for DW, that alone is worth the price.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Good to know.  I really like the idea of Road ID, and my plan is to order one eventually (procrastinating).  The more I think about it though, I wonder if the medic alert bracelets might be a better way to go.  EMT's have seen those for decades, and everybody knows what they are.  It's hard for me to imagine that they wouldn't check it immediately, and take note of the information.

As I previously posted EMTs and paramedics are trained to look for medic alert tags or similar.  If we see something around your neck (medic alert tags, dog tags, RoadID dog tags etc...) or on your wrist (medic alert tag, RoadID or similar) we're going to investigate a little more closely.  So long as you don't put it on your watch band a RoadID or similar will attract additional scrutiny.

Just be careful with which device you choose to order.  Some medic alert tags companies have very limited space and don't always allow for customization to include emergency contact information. Research accordingly.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

This week I will order a Road ID based upon what occurred yesterday during my long run.  At the 4.5 mile mark of my long run around 8am, I witnessed an older model Toyota 4Runner just run off the road at a curve. The vehicle went straight off and the driver did not make any correction once off the road.  The vehicle path followed a small ravine and landed near a fence.

I stopped my watch.  Then approached the vehicle. I was motioning the driver to get out if possible on the passenger side since on the driver's side theer was about a 6 foot drop into open sewer drain.  His window was up and the driver decided to exit on driver's side. As he opened the door I forewarned him about the drop. He extended his leg and body over the width of the hole and stepped onto the ground. After 2 steps, he started having seizures, then dropped to the ground.  It passed for a moment, then got up and walked about 2 more steps and seizures occurred again.

Immediateley I flagged down a motorist.  I yelled if you got a cell phone, call 911.  He's been in an accident & has been having seizures.  As the young woman was dialing 911, she looked at the guy and recognized the young man as a neighbor and knew his name and she thought he had a history of seizures..  The young woman finished calling 911, and I asked if she had his parent's phone number to call.  She did not but she replied "I can drive to their house and notify them, it's just down the street".

As the young woman pulled away, a couple around my age stopped.  the woman comforted the young man as if he was her son and the husband drove home to get a blanket.   Soon, the emergency personnel arrived.  I informed them and the police what I had witnessed.  As they were placing the young man on a stretcher into the emergency vehicle, his parents arrived.  The mother promptly went into the emergency vehicle to accompany her son.  After I confirmed the police had all the information from me, I resumed my long run.

The young man was fortunate that the young woman knew who he was and could contact his parents.

Thus, the importance of contact information and medical history was clearly evident for me.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot