Beginners and Beyond

To race or train, that is the question: 10k Race Report (Read 71 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I've been wanting to reply to this...I just really don't know where to go with it!  I get wanting to drop out of the half.  Halves scare me as tune up races because they've derailed me in the past.  But I also know you like racing, and think there's a lot you could get from it.  I guess it's really just a do what's best for you kinda moment.

As for the race, it looks like one of those days where you just didn't have it.  If we were pros, I think we'd pull out of these kind of races ahead of time.  But we're not, so we go out there and do what we can with what we've got.

It also seems to highlight the fact that it's really hard to be prepared to run good races at a bunch of distances.  There's a reason why people specialize.  Yes, you can run good races of training for other distances, but it's not ideal.  That in and of itself isn't really an issue, but it's hard to lower our expectations.  (Okay, maybe I should just say that I'm talking about myself and guessing your experience is similar.  It's hard for me to lower my expectations lol)

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

It's hard for me to lower my expectations lol

Pretty much the same here, I purposely ran 6 lively miles the day before (unlike my usual pre-race slow 4) to ensure tired legs then flipped out at my performance.  Oy!

Meaghan I suppose that even in awful conditions I expected better.  I think the gist of the race was mentally, I was fried and never overcame it.  But yeah, snagging an age group is not something I should poo poo.  Maybe just poo.  ; )

Good point Ric, thanks everyone!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Another great RR, LRB. You tell it like it is!

LRB

You tell it like it is!

There is that!  lol  : : shakes head : :

delicate flower

Sorry you had a crappy day, LRB.  Your crappy day is still better than my PR though.  Like others have said, you can't expect too much in conditions like that.  Cut yourself some slack, man.

<3

That still looks pretty fast to me. Congrats on the AG win (and out-kicking the woman at the finish)!

I am not qualified to offer any training advice. But I know the Detroit full is the goal race for you, so just do what you feel in your gut is right to prepare, and have no regrets.

Dave