Beginners and Beyond

Running without music (Read 389 times)

Just be free and run with music or not on any given day.Wink

Jenven

Try going without music on your shortest run for the week, and see how that goes.

Agreed. I went headphone free a couple weeks ago and it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

Love the Half

I disassociate while running, so I thought I needed them to do that but learned that I do not.  I still disassociate, but now I am in tune with my body, while everything else is still a blur.

Actually, that's not correct.  Being in tune with what your body is doing is internal association.  There are essentially four ways you can race.

1.  Internal association.  Your focus is all about how your body is reacting.  How is my breathing?  How is my form?  How do I feel?

2.  External association.  Your focus is on the race.  Where is the next hill?  Where is a good place to make a move?  How strong does that guy look?  When should I surge?

3.  Internal dissociation.  Your focus is in your head but not on your body.  Doing math problems, reciting poetry, etc.

4.  External dissociation.  Your focus is on something other than your body or the race.  Listening to music.  Watching the scenery in a race.  Paying attention to the crowd.

The few studies are fairly clear is that association allows you to run a better race.  Dissociation is fine on easy runs or recovery jogs but even on quality workouts, you want your focus to be directed completely at your running.  I think folks are afraid to internally associate because they think they need to distract themselves from the discomfort that comes with racing.  Yet, focusing intently on that discomfort keeps you from blowing up while allowing you to push your limit.

Here's a fairly decent article.  http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/use-your-mind-reach-your-running-goals?page=single

Here's a study showing that even at the Olympic Trials level, the top runners tend to associate more than the lower tier runners although cognitive strategy shifts frequently between association and dissociation in the marathon.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01173272?LI=true

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Hip Redux

Totally agree with LRB here -  I had no ability to monitor my pacing in races with music on, and now I much prefer to race without!

I do my easy workouts with music, when I don't need to pay attention as much to my pacing - sometimes it's nice to just go out and run and enjoy some music and chill.

That decision has paid major dividends for me as a runner, as I have since learned how to pace myself by listening to my footsteps and breathing, whereas prior to that my pacing was all over the place.

Nevrgivup

The only time I ever run with music is when I run on the TM and its not connected to my ears. I can't stand having something in ny ears and the wires would drive me crazy. When running outside, I'm more in tune with my surroundings.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Angelbethany

Thanks so much everyone! I know there are races that people wear headphones to anyway, but this is a team relay race, and they're serious about their requirements. Interesting comments about association. I just read something about this recently in a sports med journal. I think I do some of both. With the music on the background I probably disassociate some, but there are often times ill run through a song or two and not even remember it. I think I'll have to go out for a shorter run and just not take the iPhone at all. If its there ill wind up using it. I do like the thought of having my phone with me in case I get into trouble, but that's not as much of an issue until I get further out on my long runs. Ill keep you posted Smile
              LRB

1.  Internal association.  Your focus is all about how your body is reacting.  How is my breathing?  How is my form?  How do I feel?

2.  External association.  Your focus is on the race.  Where is the next hill?  Where is a good place to make a move?  How strong does that guy look?  When should I surge?

3.  Internal dissociation.  Your focus is in your head but not on your body.  Doing math problems, reciting poetry, etc.

4.  External dissociation.  Your focus is on something other than your body or the race.  Listening to music.  Watching the scenery in a race.  Paying attention to the crowd.

I have seen these before and of the four, number 3 applies most to me. 

I go into deep thought, which is why I said you could scare me from behind because I usually am in another world.  I write a lot, and sometimes will compose an entire piece while out running.

I know that contradicts number 1, maybe I alternate between the two I don' t know, but I definitely take a trip to another planet when I run.  No doubt about it.

monkkey

I stopped racing with headphones because they weren't allowed at a race I wanted to do and I will never ever go back!

(I only saw one person in the entire race wearing them and he just looked weird.)