Beginners and Beyond

Fall marathon? (Read 96 times)

Right now I have two major candidates, but am open to input.

1)  Erie, PA @ Presque Isle 9/15 -- this would knock out a 4th state, is flat, and is a short drive from Buffalo.  Downsides -  It's Erie, I would go strictly for the race and drive home that day without even hitting my closest Chik-Fil-A there, as it is closed on Sundays.

2) return to the Adirondack Marathon 9/22 -- then hang out in Lake Placid again and climb a few more mountains.  Win-win vacay, but for trying to go sub-3 on hills, meh.  The hills are not any tougher than what I train on, but they're big enough to be a factor.

Somewhere else?  I'd really be open to anything in the lower 48 or not-super-remote Canada.  Also trying to keep the race before Boston reg opens up so that if it becomes tough to qualify I have one more chance to better my time for 2014.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Depending on how flexible your dates are, three fast fall marathons in that area are Wineglass in Corning, Mohawk-Hudson in Schenectady-Albany, and Steamtown in Scranton. Hartford is also supposed to be a good marathon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

Hamilton isn't very far for you, I believe. Ugly, but still weirdly charming, industrial town near the lake. About 900 runners. The course is flat, except where it goes down for about 4-5 miles. The course itself is nice enough. Volunteers are great and so is the finish line in a park, along the water. November 3rd, I think? I ran it twice and the weather, though cool, was perfect. Then, you can vacation in Toronto after, about 40 minutes away or Niagara, about 60 minutes the other way.

Not an exciting destination by any means, but a great course for a PR. http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=2788131103

Also, Sept. 22nd (again, not sure of the date). Amherstburg. Flat as a pancake, near Windsor (Detroit). Small town. Considering how easy the course is compared to Boston, I think you'd have a chance at top 3 overall, or at least an AG award. Now that's something you have to start thinking of, running for the bling! Big grin

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=4249130922

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

YAYpril - B-Plus

One of my friends who runs Boston every year said that registration opens for -20 on September 10.

That being said, the marathon I'm running is September 8. It's probably a little bit of a drive for you (Eastern PA) but it's a top Boston Qualifier. www.viamarathon.com

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

One of my friends who runs Boston every year said that registration opens for -20 on September 10.

He must have inside information because the BAA website says the date is still to be determined.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Also, Sept. 22nd (again, not sure of the date). Amherstburg. Flat as a pancake, near Windsor (Detroit). Small town. Considering how easy the course is compared to Boston, I think you'd have a chance at top 3 overall, or at least an AG award. Now that's something you have to start thinking of, running for the bling! Big grin

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=4249130922

I also heard good things about this one (9/22 is correct) from a couple guys at my last race, it is called Run for Heroes Marathon. Yes very small - last year only 135 finishers. And the guys I met were wearing the shirts, which were really awesome. And if Lily will be there - that closes the deal!

Of course if you're going that far, you're almost in Detroit (10/20). Much bigger race of course, but the chance to knock off another state and another country at the same time - crosses back & forth over the border. Side benefit of potentially meeting LRB & me (although I doubt you will want to be hanging around the finish line long enough to see me). I have not done it, but if LRB checks in here he will prattle on about it endlessly, singing its praises.

I am really tempted to try to do both - either do Amherstburg as a slow training run for Detroit, or race Amherstburg & have Detroit be just for fun. But I am getting ahead of myself; after the one I have next month I might decide I hate marathons & never want to do another one.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Dave

Hip Redux

Depending on how flexible your dates are, three fast fall marathons in that area are Wineglass in Corning, Mohawk-Hudson in Schenectady-Albany, and Steamtown in Scranton. Hartford is also supposed to be a good marathon.

Mohawk has already sold out, I think.   The DH is doing that one for his fall race.

Hartford is a great race!  They do a nice job with it and it's an easy race to go spectate, too, for family/friends (I'm a pro at spectating).