Beginners and Beyond

Rolling Stones making Boston Bomber a Rockstar? (Read 124 times)

Hip Redux

What's funny is that that'd get a much more positive reaction!

Probably not from the Polish Catholic sports group though.  They frown on that sort of stuff.

Love the Half

I posted this on FB:

My guesss is that Rolling Stone execs are tickled pink. The people who are outraged are middle age folks who haven't picked up a copy in 20 years. The very expression of that outrage intrigues the teen and young 20's males who want nothing more than to rebel against their parents. Plus, that cover has been splattered everywhere so they are getting tens of millions of dollars of free publicity. I'm reminded of "The Last Temptation of Christ." It was an awful movie that would have been relegated to art house obscurity were it not for the protests it generated. I watched about half of it on A&E once before I got so bored I quit. Look for the Rolling Stone editors to issue some kind of apology in the next few days but they'll be crying all the way to the bank.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

I posted this on FB:

My guesss is that Rolling Stone execs are tickled pink. The people who are outraged are middle age folks who haven't picked up a copy in 20 years. The very expression of that outrage intrigues the teen and young 20's males who want nothing more than to rebel against their parents. Plus, that cover has been splattered everywhere so they are getting tens of millions of dollars of free publicity. I'm reminded of "The Last Temptation of Christ." It was an awful movie that would have been relegated to art house obscurity were it not for the protests it generated. I watched about half of it on A&E once before I got so bored I quit. Look for the Rolling Stone editors to issue some kind of apology in the next few days but they'll be crying all the way to the bank.

For some reason, I take offence to what you just wrote. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Jess runs for bacon

Ok so I'll get some flack for this, but I don't care. I think people forget they do publish news, and they weren't the first person to put the kid on the cover.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Who the heck else did it, this is the only one I saw dang it....... Joking

The reason I don't like it is because to me it is glorifying a monster, a loser, another deadbeat who did nothing but hurt others... most of us think oh well or who cares but for other aspiring losers and deadbeats out there this guy is a rockstar to them and stuff like this might encourage them to try to either mock or worse - "do better". People like this guy don't deserve the time of day, they don't deserve to be on covers, t.v. and in the media because it either makes them look like the victim or the hero in some mentally disturbed person's eyes. But that is how I feel about it, and unfortunately this world (especially America) feeds on that kind of shock and drama, so things like this will always sell and always be in the spotlight.

Ok so I'll get some flack for this, but I don't care. I think people forget they do publish news, and they weren't the first person to put the kid on the cover.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I'm not outraged because I don't give a shit about RS...although I can understand why people would be.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My first time really taking less then a second to glance at their cover, I think mainly because I was bored with nothing to do at work when I came across it.

I'm not outraged because I don't give a shit about RS...although I can understand why people would be.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

runwell3

$$$$...really?.  On my run today I thought of :    Martin Richard,      Krystle Campbell,       Lu Lingzi,    and    Sean Collier.

Jess runs for bacon

Who the heck else did it, this is the only one I saw dang it....... Joking

The reason I don't like it is because to me it is glorifying a monster, a loser, another deadbeat who did nothing but hurt others... most of us think oh well or who cares but for other aspiring losers and deadbeats out there this guy is a rockstar to them and stuff like this might encourage them to try to either mock or worse - "do better". People like this guy don't deserve the time of day, they don't deserve to be on covers, t.v. and in the media because it either makes them look like the victim or the hero in some mentally disturbed person's eyes. But that is how I feel about it, and unfortunately this world (especially America) feeds on that kind of shock and drama, so things like this will always sell and always be in the spotlight.

This particular picture was on the cover of New York times I believe.

i don't know, the outrage of him being on the cover brought him more attention than the cover itself, so to me the outrage is self defeating. And I may probably only be the only person that feels this way, but I sort of feel bad for the kid. Not saying he doesn't deserve to spend his life in jail, but its pretty clear his brother was the mastermind and twisted the little kid's brain. The article is interesting to me for that reason, it gets it to the psychology of what the kid did.

I was actually kind of surprised how quickly after his arrest this faded from spotlight, although I think that had mostly to do with current events. If I mad to put money on it, America is still extremely frustrated with how events turned out (him surviving and pleading not guilty) and this is a way to express frustration.

That or its my two glasses of wine talking. I get all armchair shrinky when I am drinking.

Hip Redux

The good thing is that the royal baby is due soon and so this will fade into everyone's memory.  The stupid mag doesn't even hit the shelves until August and by then we'll all be hyped up on the future king/queen of some other country.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Eh, a lot of kids are lost in this country, and pretty much screwed. Sadly some of them decide to hurt others which dealing/suffering their own pain.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I thought their baby was already born? I suck at picking out what part of the media to listen to and read about..... dang it.

The good thing is that the royal baby is due soon and so this will fade into everyone's memory.  The stupid mag doesn't even hit the shelves until August and by then we'll all be hyped up on the future king/queen of some other country.

PRs

Hip Redux

I thought their baby was already born? I suck at picking out what part of the media to listen to and read about..... dang it.

According to my FB feed, we are still in "waiting" mode on this one.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

FB feed?  Oski's watching the royal FB feed?

I really did not feel outraged about the cover but I do think it was in bad taste.  Then again, the news have no taste most of the time, so it's par for their usual.

Damaris

happylily

The word "outrage" is tossed around a lot here. I don't think it expresses how I feel about it. I hate/dislike that they chose a picture of him with this sort of angelic look. It's deceiving. I also don't get the reason why a music magazine would write a story on a terrorist/nutcase. Has RS changed that much since, like, 20 years ago?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010