Beginners and Beyond

White Squirrel 5K RR (Read 57 times)

Hip Redux

Thanks all.  Now if I could just figure out how to not have my job interfere with what's really important.  Smile

When you figure that out, please let me know!  Big grin

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks all.  Now if I could just figure out how to not have my job interfere with what's really important.  Smile

Go into semi-retirement. Of course by that time 25:00 might look fast.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Old man, yeah right.  Well then, you are one damn speedy old man!  Congrats on your race!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

No more marathons

Go into semi-retirement. Of course by that time 25:00 might look fast.

Tried that.  Retired at 48 in 1999.  Moved to the mountains of North Carolina and built our retirement "cabin" in the mountains.  Damn thing kept getting bigger as we built.  Then remember what happened in 2002?  The financial markets tumbled - so back to work I went in 2005.  Oh well, a few more years and we'll try it again.  Funny though, while retired, I had no interest in resuming my running.  My interest then was in tennis and racquetball.  It was a combination of my son taking up the sport in hs and the limited time my job allowed that got me back in the game.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

Old man, yeah right.  Well then, you are one damn speedy old man!  Congrats on your race!

ha, I do believe we're in the same age group Scotty.  If I can work out a trip to San Antonio we'll have to run a 5k together.  I did manage to catch the attention of a few young ladies from Wellesley College during my run up there, but not so much at other races.  I think I need to get some tips from you.  

He's a leaker!

Mmmmm...beer

Great job!  I agree with LTH, easy sub-21 on a flat course. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

No more marathons

Great job!  I agree with LTH, easy sub-21 on a flat course. Smile

If I could just find one.  Might need to move back to Tampa.

Side note - I'm in the process of loading all my log books from the 80's into RA.  Just interested to see how my training then matches up with now.  My assumption is that my mileage as well as my consistency is much higher now.

He's a leaker!

LRB

Tried that.  Retired at 48 in 1999.

Wiggidy what?!  You're 63 running these times?  Impressive!

Nice PR, and on a hilly course, even!

"Old" is nonsense Smile

No more marathons

Wiggidy what?!  You're 63 running these times?  Impressive!

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Thanks for that.

Not quite - BD is Wednesday - then I'll be 63.

He's a leaker!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Agree with Lily. Congrats Smile

Anyone who can run an almost sub-21:00 5k is NOT an old man in my book. Congratulations, bluesky!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Love the Half

Ha, thanks! I have been surprised at how much speed you get just from building up endurance. Not sure I am ready to focus on the shorter faster stuff yet. But you are proof it can be done at an advanced age, so that gives me hope. Of course you had a quite the history to build on, I looked at your Thin Young Man PR's & they are pretty damn impressive.

I don't know what qualifies as "advanced age" but I have ran 18:33 at age 50 and had no history other than being an obese chain smoker to build on.  My only point is that if you focus on the shorter, faster stuff you may be surprised at what you can do and that's especially true if you pick a race with a fast field to pull you along.  That 18:33 would take top 5 at nearly every 5K in my area and it would win more than a few yet it was only good for 34th overall in the WV 5K Championship last year which is where I ran that time.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).