Beginners and Beyond

Houston Half Marathon RR 10/27/13 Rain Rain Go Away!!! (Read 68 times)

TxDiverMom

Thanks so much to you all!

I asked so many questions last year, if any of you remember.  I was constantly asking about pace, etc. and trying to figure out how to get faster, what I was doing wrong, etc.  I thank you all for your patience!

Starting in about May or June, I started doing some speed work on the track...well, I guess you can call it speed work, but whatever, I ran intervals.  I ran with a club.  People helped and encouraged me.  I slogged away at my intervals at a pace somewhere between 10:30 and 11:30 and I guess I eventually got a little faster.  I ran slow and steady thru those horribly hot (I'm in Houston...It's a sauna!) summer months.  I found a group of ladies that run as slow as me!  We're all slowly getting better and faster.  I ran with my daugher some and she told me that I lean forward and hunch over.  Amazing how much easier it is to breathe when you stand up straight!  It really helped me a lot to run with others.

Getting ever slightly better, ever so slowly is good!  It's just hard to understand so much of what you say until you do it!  I think I've improved because of the intervals which several of you encouraged.  In the beginning, they weren't even intervals so much as just speeding up for a little bit and then slowing back down for a while.  Also, I'm pretty sure I even did a little of Love the Half's just run faster stuff.

I think it takes both and I'm still out there and enjoying it!!!  Thanks so much for everyone's help!!!  I'll have another RR to write here in a few more weeks!