Beginners and Beyond

(NRR) DH wants next vacation in Maine (Read 75 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If I was the only one choosing, we'd so be going to Yellowstone, in a heartbeat. I've seen the beach enough times, and the only ocean front I would ever care to see are the ones with cliffs, anything with a beach and sand is just boring. I've always wanted to visit Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, The Tetons, hell all parts of the Rocky Mountains.

Be sure to include Glacier in that list. That's a hiker's paradise.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Birdwell

Be sure to include Glacier Waterton Lakes in that list. That's a hiker's paradise.

fyp.

Waterton is the Canadian version of Glacier (the parks border each other). Easier to get in and out of and much, much less crowded.

We met a lot of people getting into the Glacier backcountry via Waterton and one of the ferries they operate.

RSX

I prefer Portland and Old Orchard Beach in Maine. I would choose people over seclusion any day.

Village people

I prefer Portland and Old Orchard Beach in Maine. I would choose people over seclusion any day.

I used to live in Cape Elizabeth. I never tired of visiting the local lighthouses. Fort Williams is the biggy with Portland Headlight but Two Lights State Park has a lovely view and the lobster rolls are supposed to be topnotch.

Beach to Beacon is a beautiful course with views of the Atlantic. It has some rolling hills but not bad. The weather can be hot and humid, though.

This is in Lubec. Close to the CDN border and it might not be packed. I love Maine and if the southern points weren't saturated with physicians, we would still be there. NH is a great place, too. Lots of mountains and lakes in the north. Very laid back.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If we go west, I would like to stay somewhere in the middle of as many parks as possible.............. is that even possible?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If we go west, I would like to stay somewhere in the middle of as many parks as possible.............. is that even possible?

Southern Utah is probably best to hit the largest number of parks in one trip:

Arches

Bryce

Canyonlands

Capitol Reef

Monument Valley

Zion

Grand Canyon - North Rim

With the distances, they're still spread out.

Other combinations: Yosemite, Sequoia and King's Canyon

Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons

Glacier and Waterton in Canada

Banff, Jasper, Yoho, and Kootenay in the Canadian Rockies

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Birdwell

The Grand Circle 

The largest concentration of parks (that I know of)

(also known as, My backyard 

adkkev

Are you taking one week, two weeks, or three weeks for this vacation?  If you're only taking one week, it's going to be difficult to hit a lot of parks during that time period ... you'll be doing a lot of driving, that's for sure.  And I'm not sure that you'd get much of a "park experience" with drive-byes of the parks.  Don't you want to get out of the car & experience things?  Since you like trail running, I'd think you'd enjoy some hiking in the parks, & there are certainly plenty of opportunities for that in most of the National Parks.

If you were to stay in Moab, Utah, you can easily visit Arches & both sections of Canyonlands ... some really nice hikes in both parks.  We were there this past May ... temps in the low 70s, comfortable for hiking, beautiful scenery.  I would avoid this area in the summer!!

Another poster suggested a Canadian Rockies adventure ... another great suggestion.  Banff & Jasper are really awesome ... and again, lots of good hikes to choose from.  Our favorite was Edith Cavell meadows in Jasper ... loaded with wildflowers, etc.

And if your husband keeps waffling ... just choose the dates, make the arrangements, and tell him when & where y'all are heading!!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hmmm.... honestly I would like 2....3 weeks, it just depends on how busy our shop is.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)