Beginners and Beyond

Go Fly A Kite Monday Penguins (Read 19 times)

GinnyinPA

Obie - an activity streak is a good idea, just to get the habit back.  Be careful since you haven't run much for a while.  It's frustrating being slow but your fitness will come back pretty quickly if you don't try to push it too fast.

Brilliant - great news.

PAD - were you a runner before you were diagnosed with PAD?  DH was diagnosed with PAD before he became a hiker, and the exercise cleared up the problem.  He hasn't had leg cramps in years.  All your running should help circulation enormously.

Traci - 5 minute plank - wow!  I am back to barely able to hold 1 minute.  Good luck with the PT.

sapf - good job on the TM run.  That's a long time to be staring at a wall.  Or do they have movies at your gym?

tracilynn

Ginny, haha no it's a 5 min plank ROUTINE. So yeah, they are broken up to 1 min planks different ways, like arm plank, side planks, elbow etc.  I wish I could hold a 5 minute plank.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

9 miles on a treadmill should be like dog years and YA get to multiply it by at least 2.5x

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Obie - an activity streak is a good idea, just to get the habit back.  Be careful since you haven't run much for a while.  It's frustrating being slow but your fitness will come back pretty quickly if you don't try to push it too fast.

Brilliant - great news.

PAD - were you a runner before you were diagnosed with PAD?  DH was diagnosed with PAD before he became a hiker, and the exercise cleared up the problem.  He hasn't had leg cramps in years.  All your running should help circulation enormously.

Traci - 5 minute plank - wow!  I am back to barely able to hold 1 minute.  Good luck with the PT.

sapf - good job on the TM run.  That's a long time to be staring at a wall.  Or do they have movies at your gym?

My view out the gym window is the Manhattan skyline... not too terrible.  There is a TV there but I find that I feel a bit sick if I try to watch it while running.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

No, I didn't start running till after I was diagnosed. I was hoping that it would help but I think I've taken it as far as it will go. I got a call this afternoon. Cardiologist cleared me to run the marathon and said PAD and Carotid tests were stable. So no better or worse. Before I got the stents I couldn't walk 100 yds without a break. Now as long as I keep the pace slow enough for the distance I can prevent the cramping.

Brilliant

PAD, that is great news (the clearance).

Traci, what exercises do you do for shin splints?

sapf, your view sounds fantastic.  I will be traveling to a dangerous city later this week (I'm not being funny, really!) where hubby has already warned me he won't let me run outside - maybe the hotel gym will have a pleasant view of Distrito Federal!

obiebyke

Yes! I'll be careful. I ran a tiny run today, and my lungs felt good. I also made a workout pact with a good friend. Accountability helps.

sapf, I'm jealous of your view!

PAD, that's amazing.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Zelanie

Scotty, I got a new whiteboard at work and the first thing I put on it was your Teddy Roosevelt quote. It fits our situation perfectly.

Brilliant- Besides the fact that I'm ornery enough that if DH or anybody else told me I wasn't allowed to run outside, I'd be out there for sure, I found that watching cars outside play "portón Frogger" as they tried to get their cars in and out of their driveways while stashing coworkers' cars into the same gated driveway (because of license plate smog restrictions, usually) all while dodging crazy traffic and stray dogs, to be fairly amusing treadmill entertainment. Hopefully you have something similar to watch.

tracilynn

I do most of these for shin splints plus weighted foot rises and toe taps to failure

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/29c26fa1014b4cf79f569c25cb73266c

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Hmm link didn't work.  Poo.

its venomizes routine

~~~~~~~

Traci

Robert31320

Team TJ

Today ended up a RD with the rainstorm this evening cutting out my run after work.

Running for TJ because he can't.