Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILY Penguins are Early Birds (Read 33 times)

hog4life

Hog - I don't know. HM training scares me now. I've attempted it twice and both times something has happened that has kept me from completing it.

I understand. Any other 5k's or 10k's you got an eye on? I'll Definitely be doing Rumpshaker again.

GinnyinPA

Welcome back EatsFood.  It is hard getting the pace back to where it was before, and getting the ease back.  I know that it will come in time but in the meantime it feels so much harder than I remember.  At the same time, it feels good to be able to do any running at all, even if I really am a waddling penguin again.

Cherie - nice drawing!  You are a good artist.  You're smart to pull back on the training if you aren't feeling it.  When I hiked the John Muir Trail several years ago, I spent months training for it, since it was my first time hiking at altitude.  The 211 mile hike was a good one, but lonely, since I was solo and only spent a few nights with other people.  I got burned out.  After I was home again, it took a couple of months before I was ready to do more than an occasional dayhike.  I had worked too hard before my hike, and once I had accomplished the goal, I really wasn't in the mood to work that hard again.  Then one weekend I went on a trip with some friends in Yosemite, and I was back, hooked on hiking again.  Two years later I rehiked the Appalachian Trail.  I think though if I hadn't given myself permission to back off until I was ready, I would never have done another long hike.  In your case, once it cools off, you may feel like pushing yourself again, or you may just enjoy a quiet winter running when you are in the mood.

Jimmy - I understand about being paranoid about HM training.  I've signed up for three races that I never got to run.  For now, if I do run a HM, it will be something I sign up for on the day of the race - not months in advance.  Fortunately, our 3 local HMs allow that.  I figure I'll build up my mileage again, but not train specifically for another race.  If I am feeling ready at the time the next race is on, I'll run it.  If not, no loss.

Coralie - what is the high supposed to be on Saturday?  Also, I was wondering if you are in the part of Louisiana with the water problems?  (Brain eating amoeba!)

Traci - I'd rather see snakes than run into spiders.  So far the only snakes I've seen while running were dead.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

that's 43 days in a row, Ginny.  4.5 today @ 10:30.  Singlet day again.  Now deck potatoing with a Miller High Life until rain starts.

Nice drawing Cherie.

If I felt like going into the city, it would be a great day for...

http://www.billygoattavern.com/

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Eats is Cheryl, a penguin from the old guard.  Or second guard.  What was your prior screen name?  I forgot.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Chermoni, wasn't it?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Sloooow.

Hey Eats!

Ginny, high is supposed to be 84 on Saturday. No brain eating amoebas in this parish! I think it's St Bernard? Further south.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey Eats!

Ginny, high is supposed to be 84 on Saturday. No brain eating amoebas in this parish! I think it's St Bernard? Further south.

And in other news of the weird, I have done work on Naegleria.  One of my investigators works on it, so I've done some proteomics on the organism.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

And in other news of the weird, I have done work on Naegleria.  One of my investigators works on it, so I've done some proteomics on the organism.

Seriously, i read orgasmic.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

I don't do proteomics on that.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi Cheryl !!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't do proteomics on that.

Would be weird if you did....

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Didn't make it to the Billy Goat Tavern for Cheezborgers, but stayed home for Costco cheeseburgers.  Probably better.