Beginners and Beyond

Slow, hot and humid SaturDAILIES (Read 55 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  Didn't sleep last night as hershey is sick so I wasn't expecting a good race.  Met bobruns and chatted before the 10K race started.  Then, since the race was not well routed, I turned with everybody around me and ended up finishing the 5k.  Took a DNF and ran 2 more on my own.  Weird day but I got to meet and had breakfast with bobruns!

Damaris

LRB

Supp Ami, nice to see you back!

Scap, I credit the 10k for my speed and endurance gains.  It has been an invaluable tool for me this year as every time I have raced one, I am faster and able to hold challenging paces more easily afterwards.

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

G'ud morning all. got up before sunrise for a slow run (how slow? 43 minutes and 26 seconds slow) of 3.5 sweltering miles in 75 degree temps and 91% relative humidity. Soggy season is in full effect.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

Hip Redux

You should do that!

There are cardiovascular benefits to racing the mile, along with knowing your mile time.  It's nice to be able to say, "I run the mile in (fill in the blank)" whatever time that is, it's cool!

Unless some miracle happens, I will miss the one here on Memorial Day, and likely will not race it again until the week of July 4 I think.

I just might.   I would guess my mile pace would be around 8mm at this point, but who knows.  Of course, that's my husband's 'easy run' pace, so Roll eyes

YAYpril - B-Plus

Good morning!

I can run 10 miles on an empty stomach no problem (other than my normal coffee, but that's a given) so I decided to try 12 today. Not the best idea, haha. My last 3 miles were tough and I had to take a few walk breaks. I had water with me at least, and my generous RP gave me one of his fuelbelt bottles of Gatorade in mile 10.

Live and learn, right? I got the miles in and that's all that matters. That was my first marathon training long run and my last one in known territory. Next week is 15. Meep.

DavePNW

Unless some miracle happens, I will miss the one here on Memorial Day, and likely will not race it again until the week of July 4 I think.

Oh please do the Memorial Day one in Novi! I had that marked on my calendar, to come by & watch LRB run his a$$ off! No pressure.

Hey I ran the mile today, 8.22 consecutive times, with times ranging from 8:23 to 8:47.

Beautiful day today, a ton of people out running. A lot of them looked like they were training for something, you can just tell....

Dave

DavePNW

Live and learn, right? I got the miles in and that's all that matters. That was my first marathon training long run and my last one in known territory. Next week is 15. Meep.

That IS how you learn! Good luck next week, those "uncharted territory" runs are scary/exciting.

Dave

YAYpril - B-Plus

That IS how you learn! Good luck next week, those "uncharted territory" runs are scary/exciting.

Thanks! I'm scared/excited. I've run 5 HMs so 12 mile runs are old hat. And 15 miles is just like, half an hour more, so...

Ric-G

ran 13.1 in 1:54 this morning. niece's graduation to go to now and lunch afterward. have a good day all.

fla - glad you're ok...you never know when some crazy sh*t like that is going to unfold

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

Oh please do the Memorial Day one in Novi! I had that marked on my calendar, to come by & watch LRB run his a$$ off! No pressure.

Can't, or the Grand Prix Shakedown the following evening.  Kid # 3 took a job in Houston so I will be driving there instead.  And in case anyone is wondering, parental sacrifices don't end when your kids are grown lol!

Oski, you may surprise yourself, just try not to go out faster than your target pace.  This is my opinion of course but for what it's worth, if your target pace is 7:50, do not run faster than that until the end...and if you pull that off you will have done better than I have in two attempts!

LRB

I can run 10 miles on an empty stomach no problem (other than my normal coffee, but that's a given) so I decided to try 12 today. Not the best idea, haha. My last 3 miles were tough and I had to take a few walk breaks. I had water with me at least, and my generous RP gave me one of his fuelbelt bottles of Gatorade in mile 10.

Do not give up, it gets easier.  I went through the same thing three runs in a row when I attempted to go from 10 miles to 12 on an empty stomach.  I am now up to 14 sans sustenance and run them without an issue.

Like anything else, you are training your body to do something it is not used to.  Stick with it, it will get better and you will be better for it I promise!

B-Plus

Heading out for 10 hungry miles in a bit.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.5 for me and also did several hours yard work.

Marjorie

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning/afternoon dailies! I had my HM this morning. I was within a minute of my PR, but that's all I had. I didn't leave anything on the course - I was whipped! The humidity did pick up, so I hope StepByStep knows how to run in it since she's running the full.

I was thinking that I'd be able to improve my time today and I'm starting to have doubt if I should start FM training this summer for an October Marathon. I really want to run a sub 4 hr FM and my PR in the HM is 1:53:10 or so.

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm going to drop my DD off with Gma and head to a wedding.

- Andrew

hog4life

Can't, or the Grand Prix Shakedown the following evening.  Kid # 3 took a job in Houston so I will be driving there instead.  And in case anyone is wondering, parental sacrifices don't end when your kids are grown lol!

Amen to this!!