Beginners and Beyond

Epsom salts - educate me (Read 98 times)

StepbyStep-SH

How much do you use?

What temperature water?

How long do you soak?

Does it need to be soon after exercise, or is it still helpful several hours later?

I picked up a container of epsom salts at Walgreens a few days ago, partially because DS wants to try a science experiment with them, and today/tonight seems like a good time to test them out.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't use them that often but when I do, I empty half of the bag (I buy the medium sized bags, not the huge but not the small) into the tub, I open the hot water until it starts to get uncomfortable, add a bit of cold water into the mix and fill it up.  I stay inside the tub until the water gets cool (or until one of the cats jumps into it, whichever happens sooner).  I prefer doing the bath the night before a race rather than afterwards, but afterwards is great too.

I usually bring a book and a glass of wine or martini to the bathroom and relax.

Damaris

LRB

I usually bring a book and a glass of wine or martini to the bathroom and relax.

You crack me the hell up.  lol

StepbyStep-SH

You crack me the hell up.  lol

What? That was exactly what I was planning to do. Maybe hot tea instead of wine (since I don't have a bottle of white right now - and red doesn't recork that well), but still...

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Don't use it on your fries. Wrong kind of salt.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

What?

She makes me laugh.  It had nothing to do with you or your plans S, by all means drink tea and relax away!

TxDiverMom

LRB, doesn't everyone do that?  I know I do!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LRB, doesn't everyone do that?  I know I do!

Apparently, not him!

Damaris

SheCan

LOL, you ALL make me laugh! 

SH-- did you try the epson foot soak out?  What'd you think?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

I do Epsom salt baths after most of my long runs.  No wine, but I do bring a book.  It seems to help ease muscle soreness.  I use less salts that Damaris, but still about a cup.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL, you ALL make me laugh! 

SH-- did you try the epson foot soak out?  What'd you think?

The foot?  We are talking full body's worth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damaris

onemile

1-2 cups.  HOT water. Soak for 15-20 minutes.

Sometimes right after, sometimes hours later.  But usually after a hard workout or race where I'm really sore.  It definitely helps with muscle soreness but I'm not sure that it really does anything but make it feel better temporarily.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

1-2 cups.  HOT water. Soak for 15-20 minutes.

Sometimes right after, sometimes hours later.  But usually after a hard workout or race where I'm really sore.  It definitely helps with muscle soreness but I'm not sure that it really does anything but make it feel better temporarily.

At least it helps you sleep better being less sore.

Damaris

StepbyStep-SH

I didn't try it that night. I probably should tonight. But getting it ready sounds like effort - and I'm already laying on the couch with my feet propped up and a drink at hand.

I thought that "bath salts" were an entirely different thing Tongue