Beginners and Beyond

Advice on adjusting for heat in my next marathon (Read 89 times)

happylily

Got it. I'll pay close attention to the day's temperature and make sure to adjust for it. It'll be interesting to see if I can listen to reason or not. I CAN, I CAN, I CAN...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

No more marathons

Late to the party, but that's never stopped me from chiming in before.

Couple of random thoughts and questions.

1.  Daniels projects a difference of 3 to 4 seconds per mile for each 5 degrees above 60 for a 3:30 marathoner.  So some of the earlier 5 second recommendations seem appropriate.

2.  Agree completely with the direct sun comments.  As I have said on more than one occasion regarding my epic fail in Quebec in 2012, it was 87 degrees in the shade, and there was no shade.

3.  Question - does heat affect some more than others (duh)?  And can training in the heat (step up here D) be effective as training at altitude.  Here's the basis for this question:

(Note to Lily - here's another old fart reminiscing)  My early running "career" was in Tampa, Fl.  I regularly ran 5 to 8 miles at lunch time most days of the week - temps in the summer would have been in the 90's with direct sun.  I am in the process of loading all my old log books into RA and ran across an entry for the Gold Coast Marathon in 1982.  I ran a 1:20 and change but the important part (at least for this discussion) is that my finish place was 18 of 705 and my notes included comments about beating several runners I knew for the first time.  So, my hypothesis is that, at least at that time, my training had positioned me to run better in the heat than others whose training was set to run early in the day.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'll throw direct sun into the equation also.  There is a huge difference between 70 mostly in the shade and 70 in the direct sun.  Temperature is always taken in the shade so factor in that also. 70 in the direct sun is going to be more like 80+.

A recent set of races drove home this point for me - once again. At the Jackpot Ultra 12-hour in February temps reached into the 70s but we had solid cloud cover and I had no problems with the heat. This month at the Ice Age Trail 50K temps were similar but we had bright sun which eventually drove me to a DNF at 18 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's interesting, Moth. You've had a great and long career, and more is to come, no doubt.

Re-reading LTH, mine and MothAudio's posts make me wonder whether it's a coincidence that the people who love to talk the most about their "running accomplishments" are amongst the eldest around here. I think we're trying to compensate for something (I mean old age ).

Who? Me?

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

With all this being said, who in their right minds would start a marathon at noon in mid-June, then add insult to injury by laying out a course with the last 4 miles basically uphill? Yes, it has been done and I was stupid enough to run it. I was also on PR pace (sub-3:00) through 20 miles. I finished in 3:13.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Late to the party, but that's never stopped me from chiming in before.

Couple of random thoughts and questions.

1.  Daniels projects a difference of 3 to 4 seconds per mile for each 5 degrees above 60 for a 3:30 marathoner.  So some of the earlier 5 second recommendations seem appropriate.

2.  Agree completely with the direct sun comments.  As I have said on more than one occasion regarding my epic fail in Quebec in 2012, it was 87 degrees in the shade, and there was no shade.

3.  Question - does heat affect some more than others (duh)?  And can training in the heat (step up here D) be effective as training at altitude.  Here's the basis for this question:

(Note to Lily - here's another old fart reminiscing)  My early running "career" was in Tampa, Fl.  I regularly ran 5 to 8 miles at lunch time most days of the week - temps in the summer would have been in the 90's with direct sun.  I am in the process of loading all my old log books into RA and ran across an entry for the Gold Coast Marathon in 1982.  I ran a 1:20 and change but the important part (at least for this discussion) is that my finish place was 18 of 705 and my notes included comments about beating several runners I knew for the first time.  So, my hypothesis is that, at least at that time, my training had positioned me to run better in the heat than others whose training was set to run early in the day.

I think it is effective when racing in cold weather (training in heat but race in cold weather). I have found it does jack shit for racing in hot and humid weather.

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think it is effective when racing in cold weather (training in heat but race in cold weather). I have found it does jack shit for racing in hot and humid weather.

The point was that performance falls off less if you've been running in the heat and have acclimated than if you haven't, not that you can run as well in the heat if you are used to it.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The point was that performance falls off less if you've been running in the heat and have acclimated than if you haven't, not that you can run as well in the heat if you are used to it.

Oops.  But like I said, it is very individual and I don't think it helps me, or at least not anymore.  And the asthma issues heat and humidity bring makes it almost impossible for me to train well in Summer anymore (see my latest workout as an example) and most of the time not worth the extra pain.  Too bad my Summers last 10 months.

Damaris

happylily

Bluesky and wcrunner, I agree that there must be a basic acclimatisation and subsequent benefits from regular training in the heat. Don't African elites often train in the heat? And yes, some people must be much less affected by the heat than others. For example, Paula Keating, the Bew Brunswick woman who finished first in my last marathon, broke a course record that day (for women), in 2:53. In 2012, in Boston, she ran 2:48. Those are her usual finish times. She's 47 and trains in the harsh Canadian winters. Also, my friend Youssef, 56, usually runs 3:15 marathons and he was true to his habit when he finished in 3:14 in Burlington, where Phil ran his marathon. Youssef is Moroccan, but has been living in Montreal for more than 25 years...

happylily

Oops.  But like I said, it is very individual and I don't think it helps me, or at least not anymore.  And the asthma issues heat and humidity bring makes it almost impossible for me to train well in Summer anymore (see my latest workout as an example) and most of the time not worth the extra pain.  Too bad my Summers last 10 months.

Yes, it must be very individual. I am not as affected by the heat as you are. But like most, it sure slows me down a lot. But in Nassau, Bermuda and Jamaica, where I ran in very warm conditions, I managed to win AG awards, which to me indicates that heat must have affected me a bit less than it affected others that day. Still, I had very bad fades in the last 6 miles and even walked a lot in Negril. I thought I was going to pass out.

meaghansketch

One thing that no one has mentioned  (at least I don't think so) is how body size affects thermoregulation (your ability to keep yourself from overheating when running hard in heat).  I read an article within the past couple years on how, because of surface area to body mass ratio, larger runners have a much harder time with thermoregulation than smaller runners.  I am having trouble digging up the article, but it would explain why someone like me (5'11", avg-ish build) has a much harder time with heat, and why someone like you, Julie, would do relatively well in heat (winning AG awards in Nassau, Bermuda, and Jamaica).

Of course there are a ton of factors (conditions you train in being a major one) but that is one to consider.

happylily

One thing that no one has mentioned  (at least I don't think so) is how body size affects thermoregulation (your ability to keep yourself from overheating when running hard in heat).  I read an article within the past couple years on how, because of surface area to body mass ratio, larger runners have a much harder time with thermoregulation than smaller runners.  I am having trouble digging up the article, but it would explain why someone like me (5'11", avg-ish build) has a much harder time with heat, and why someone like you, Julie, would do relatively well in heat (winning AG awards in Nassau, Bermuda, and Jamaica).

Of course there are a ton of factors (conditions you train in being a major one) but that is one to consider.

Yes, Meaghan, I read that as well. That could be why many elites are short men and women (not all, but a surprising number).

happylily

Btw, Paula Keating, the woman who ran the 2:48 in Boston in 2012, is about 5'2''.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes, it must be very individual. I am not as affected by the heat as you are. But like most, it sure slows me down a lot. But in Nassau, Bermuda and Jamaica, where I ran in very warm conditions, I managed to win AG awards, which to me indicates that heat must have affected me a bit less than it affected others that day. Still, I had very bad fades in the last 6 miles and even walked a lot in Negril. I thought I was going to pass out.

I'll bet you Negril was more humid than the others.  That would explain your feelings and slower performance. Humidity (dewpoint, actually) affects us more than heat (once you're acclimated to heat) because the body does not cool off itself better even after acclimating.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not sure if there has been a study, but I also think that slower runners are worse affected too.

Damaris