Beginners and Beyond

Question..... trail running vs. road running when training (Read 119 times)

dallison

registered pw

I have been doing some trails this past winter and had the same thoughts.

Now, when i hear about the elite marathoners running trails to make them stronger, how often are they running trails to be a benefit?

Are they doing all of their long runs on a trail for a period of time or is it one run a week? what is a good integration of trails?

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's a good question.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

MrNamtor

one thing is, as has been pointed out, that trail running is more dangerous (exposes you to more chance of injury) than road running.

I've twisted my foot several times running on un-even trail surfaces, the last time being last week where i couldn't walk for a day and couldn't (or didn't) run for 3 days.

So I'd say that if you are going to incorporate trail running into your training for a road race, don't do trails as you approach the race date. That way you have a better chance of avoiding an injury that could hurt or cancel your race.

one thing is, as has been pointed out, that trail running is more dangerous (exposes you to more chance of injury) than road running.

I've twisted my foot several times running on un-even trail surfaces, the last time being last week where i couldn't walk for a day and couldn't (or didn't) run for 3 days.

So I'd say that if you are going to incorporate trail running into your training for a road race, don't do trails as you approach the race date. That way you have a better chance of avoiding an injury that could hurt or cancel your race.

One can trip over sidewalks.

A couple years ago, I ran all winter, mostly on trails with a bunch of ice - no injuries. Then tripped on a chunk of sidewalk during breakup and had a major face plant - worst injury I've had in 12 yr of running. People thought I had either had a major crash on a bike or gotten into a bar room fight.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          MrNamtor

One can trip over sidewalks.

A couple years ago, I ran all winter, mostly on trails with a bunch of ice - no injuries. Then tripped on a chunk of sidewalk during breakup and had a major face plant - worst injury I've had in 12 yr of running. People thought I had either had a major crash on a bike or gotten into a bar room fight.

There is something to be said for paying attention. You're probably not going to get hurt doing risky things as long as you are conscious of the dangers. Once you relax and your mind wanders, that's when you're vulnerable. I can totally relate to your experience - I've had similar things happen to me.

GC100k

I do all my running on trails, some rooty and rocky, some smooth grass.  I've never had an injury in 25 years of running.  Folks who run on roads all the time seem to be constantly battling injuries.

I've done a few road marathons and it's different.  You don't really pull through on your hamstrings that much on the trail because you're picking your footing.  And it's different on your quads too, although I can't really tell you why since going up and down the stair steep trails works your quads.  So next time I do a road marathon, I might do some hard longish runs on pavement just to get my legs used to it.