Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Dailies (Read 20 times)

60min run/stand on the mill, 40 mins of actual run time, 2% grade.   Wanted something lighter/lower impact as still feeling Tuesday’s stream grade 12 and want to do 12 at Accotink Saturday.

Pardon my rambling:  I think I have mentioned why I starting doing the run/stands, but I don’t think I’ve given credit where credit is due.

I had hip bursitis for years; after I got it settled down trying to restart running kept irritating the hip until I read an article in The Physician and Sportsmedicine titled “Quick solutions for iliotibial band syndrome”

Return to running phase: ….

“Biomechanical studies’ have shown that faster-paced running is less likely to aggravate ITBS because at foot strike the knee is flexed beyond the angles that cause friction.”

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Michael-Fredericson/publication/297392472_Quick_solutions_for_iliotibial_band_syndrome/links/5813725708ae90acb23b76d9/Quick-solutions-for-iliotibial-band-syndrome.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Well, if good for Knee IT problems I figured it might work with my hip.  

I started with reps of 40 seconds run with 20 seconds standing recoveries on treadmill.  Shortly after I added the 2% incline to also change the hip angles.

I also experimented with lots of different rep lengths; 80 seconds with 40 seconds standing recoveries is what I’m most comfortable with.

Note: I’m slow so hopping on and off the moving treadmill is no big deal.  Someone faster would have to do longer reps, slow the belt speed during the standing recovery then speed up after hopping back on.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

“Biomechanical studies’ have shown that faster-paced running is less likely to aggravate ITBS because at foot strike the knee is flexed beyond the angles that cause friction.”

That's interesting and may explain why sometimes my leg hurts during the cool-down/slower portion of a workout when it felt fine while running harder/faster.

My RP and I went for 11 miles with 8 at marathon effort (at 76º with a dew point of 70º, it was way too warm to run at actual marathon pace).

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

sdWhiskers

3.5 miles because cut back week.

Last night I came home to find like 10 of my neighbors all outside in the street, including DH. Some AH was driving wildly through our dead end part of the neighborhood at >60 mph (speed limit 25) and one of the neighbors, who was quite pissed, was outside throwing a football with his kid. He threw the football at the car when it went past, AH gets out and huge confrontation and yelling. Neighbors from multiple houses come out. Yikes, this is how people get shot. DH said the guy was like 60 so not a dumb teenager. On my run this morning, I saw AH's car parked in his driveway about 0.25 miles away.

Baboon

delicate flower

Hey-oh!!  I jogged/walked 4.1 miles on the track before work.  A little further and faster than yesterday.  I am treading very carefully.  Plus, I just finished a one hour bike workout for lunch.  I am cutting off work a little early to go test drive a four cylinder "turbocharged" Subaru Outback.  I have a 2019 six cylinder, so I am curious to see how the turbo compares.  I hear it's got better pickup and handling than the six cylinder.

Whiskers, it seems that every neighborhood's got that one asshole.  We've definitely got one, though he's just an inconsiderate prick which is completely unrelated to his driving, other than his HUGE pickup truck that was designed to be as loud as possible, because 'MURICA!

<3

That's interesting and may explain why sometimes my leg hurts during the cool-down/slower portion of a workout when it felt fine while running harder/faster.

My RP and I went for 11 miles with 8 at marathon effort (at 76º with a dew point of 70º, it was way to warm to run at actual marathon pace).

My slow runs on gentle stream grade causes me right hip ‘warmth’ because of the long gentle declines… slow runs at accotink with much steeper downhills does not.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Baboon,  I was driving various 2023 Outback loaners over the last month (my Subaru love is very low after this). Anyway, I think I had the 4 cylinder version and no issues.  Drove well and plenty roomy. Not as fuel efficient as my Legacy.

DavePNW

On my run this morning, I saw AH's car parked in his driveway about 0.25 miles away.

Too bad you didn't go running with a baseball bat; some accident might have befallen his windshield.

Our neighborhood has the house that would seem to qualify - they have a ginormous jacked-up pickup, and a Corvette. But I haven't met them and haven't noticed any particular bad behavior, other than periodic loud engine noises. The asshole was our former next door neighbor, who would get into loud screaming matches with his girlfriend at all hours of the day or night. Not a lot of space between our houses, and when both of us had windows open you could hear every word. It was honestly a bit scary, I thought we were going to get a Rear Window kind of situation. We called the cops a few times, they even came out, but nothing changed. Till finally the guy moved. And there was much rejoicing.

Last hard workout of the cycle today. Went to the track for 4x1 mile tempo + 3x200m, 10 miles total. I was pretty satisfied with the result. And speaking of rejoicing - I've started weather-stalking for race day. Of course we've never gotten as hot as most of you, but even more so recently we've started a cooling trend, like fall is arriving. Plus the race site is more toward the mountains and seems to run ~5 degrees cooler. Starting temp looks like low 50s. This early in the season, that's about as good as I could expect. Fingers crossed that it holds.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Someone ran over a stop sign and into a gas line (and possibly a house, couldn't get a good look) on Tuesday at the entry into our development.  I'm sure they were driving safely and abided by the 4 way stop 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Day 2 of this fucking BS. Took the afternoon off after the gathering ended and ran 4, went to the massage therapist, and now I'm tired. And I still have to go tomorrow because no one was allowed to switch today for tomorrow.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

Football is back! Anyone else see Detroit's TD dance? Lol

DavePNW

LOL, I forgot about it. The Thursday game kind of sneaks up on me every week. Even more so in the beginning of the season. Plus some of us still have baseball teams in the playoff hunt. 

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

LOL, I forgot about it. The Thursday game kind of sneaks up on me every week. Even more so in the beginning of the season. Plus some of us still have baseball teams in the playoff hunt. 

Bruh did you see Joe Burrow's contract extension??  5 years/ $275 million.  $55 million a season to play football.  HOLY BALLS.  I'm not even mad...I'm more impressed than anything.  That's good coin if you can get it.

<3