Beginners and Beyond

Young at Heart Thursday Penguins (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yes, I am a kind of a 'klutz' runner, and yes I've had some 'adventures' - running off the S.A. Riverwalk and doing a splash-down into the river, running once into the flank of a police horse, running off a trail into the River Cam in Cambridge, England, getting knocked down by deer a few times - but on my run yesterday after work, this is the first time I've ever run into a hot dog...it was some guy in a hot dog costume advertising for some store or other..I was looking down at something while running, then looked up...and he was RIGHT there....BAM....Hot Dog and I collided...and we both got knocked down on our respective buns....good thing mine have a lot of padding...  No real harm done...although after I got back up I had to "mustard" up some energy and do some 'ketchup' to get back into the flow of my run and make up some time.

This morning I had a specialty appointment in New Braunfels (about 30 minutes from San Antonio) so after that I did a run/walk in the newest park recently opened in New Braunfels - Fischer Park.  It is VERY nice.  If you do the entire paved trail loop that goes around the park, it is 2.5 miles.  You can extend this by going onto the adjoining Memorial Trail, which goes for about 5 miles out one way and takes you through 'emergent wetlands" so you see all kinds of bird, plants, etc.   You can make your run even longer by winding through some of the very nice neighborhoods - with lots of wide roads - that are adjacent to the park.  The park has some high hills too, so atop of them you get a really nice view of the surrounding area. Pretty nice darn park.  This park also has a "Sprayground"...a playground area with water sprays,  a small 'water cannon' that shoots a spray of water, and a thing that lets out 'showering water" down on people...this water is all recycled and safe, so no water is wasted.  It's pretty cool, and VERY refreshing to stand under that shower thingy after a warm run.  There are also picnic pavilions, a regular playground, etc., so after my run I saw lots of families with picnic baskets in the pavilions and lots of kids having a blast in the Spraygrounds....two park employee lifeguards are also on duty too at the sprayground in case of any emergencies.  This park is definitely a keeper for future runs!   Might even be a good venue for some local races.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Scotty - only you could run into a giant hot dog while running.  Do you run while texting by any chance?  The park in New Braunfels sounds nice.  I've always thought the races they do there sound particularly nice.  Is New Braunfels still a German tourist town? When I was quite young (11 or so) we went to a festival there in the spring and I remember it as being old German.

Mitch - Bella worked harder than you did, given the heat.  Good luck with the 50k training.

sapf - your calves sound like mine.  Even before I was a serious hiker, I had strong calves.

Z - that is too hot to race, even for fun.  Good luck with your social run and race.  I hope it cools off for you soon.

emmbee - how old is your baby?  Pushing the stroller probably makes for a good total body workout.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh, Scotty, LOL.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty - only you could run into a giant hot dog while running.  Do you run while texting by any chance?  The park in New Braunfels sounds nice.  I've always thought the races they do there sound particularly nice.  Is New Braunfels still a German tourist town? When I was quite young (11 or so) we went to a festival there in the spring and I remember it as being old German.

Mitch - Bella worked harder than you did, given the heat.  Good luck with the 50k training.

sapf - your calves sound like mine.  Even before I was a serious hiker, I had strong calves.

Z - that is too hot to race, even for fun.  Good luck with your social run and race.  I hope it cools off for you soon.

emmbee - how old is your baby?  Pushing the stroller probably makes for a good total body workout.

Yes, it is...every year New Braunfels has the huge Wurstfest festival.   Also the Wurst 5 Miler, an associated race with it...that usually gets about 2,000 entrants!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt