Beginners and Beyond

Intestinal Cramping on the Long Run (Read 56 times)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Mexican food and a sports drink before/during a LR would destroy me.

I used to have issues on my LR's when I first started doing them.  As I ran more of them, the problems when away.  I think there is something to be said for your body needing to adapt.  You're putting a tremendous load on your system that the body hasn't experienced before.  And if you did that run on an empty stomach, your body is trying to use fuel that isn't there.  I've found Hammer Nutrition products serve me well (Perpetuem, Heed, and Hammer Gel).  They are much easier on my stomach than the Gu, Clif, and ShotBloks of the world.

Wow what a powerful combination.  Destruction would ensue, one can only hope the aftermath would propel your forward at great velocity.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

How funny, I made a thread with a similar topic on RunnersWorld (and received responses that were much less helpful, and ruder, which is why I prefer this site... but that's another story).

http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/how-to-eat-fewer-vegetables

For me, part of the problem is that I do actually have a disease/thing (my uncle, who has run a marathon, has the same condition; so does my cousin).  But the good news is that means I have done a LOT of research into what helps with stomach discomfort while running!

For me: more starch less fiber.  I am a big vegetable person.  Yeah, not so much before a long run.  Potatoes are AWESOME the night before a run, btw.  So are very well-cooked vegetables that are lower in fiber.  Zucchini is my favorite.  Salads are not my friend.

Also: lower fat for breakfast pre-run or at least a more digestible fat, i.e. peanut butter not bacon.  (Foolproof pre-long-run meal for me is toast with PB on one side, an egg on the other).  I hear oatmeal sits well for some.

Avoid excess caffeine!  If you can run without coffee, do so.  If you DO have coffee, DO NOT have it on an empty stomach and go with one cup, not two, preferably with about 1 tablespoon of milk (helps with acid).  And watch out with coffee pre-race, as well, as it speeds things up.  Unfortunately it is also a proven performance enhancer.  Coffee + immodium anyone?  Er. Hm.  Not tested that one out myself.

Also: eating more regularly but less at each sitting helps me.  That way you keep your digestive tract on a regular schedule.  So I eat small meals, spread out, and I don't fast before my run--I do eat something, just leave at least an hour to digest it before running.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb