Beginners and Beyond

Why Would Two Weeks Of Rest Make My PF Flare Up? (Read 64 times)

Buelligan

My tempermental right knee started having swelling issues after my last long run.  I decided to take some time off and let the knee fix itself and let my almost gone PF in my left foot finally go away forever.  Well... my knee got better, but during the time off the PF in my foot actually got worse.  I've had it for about 5 months and was dealing with it really well.  The pain never got really bad during my active recovery (kept the speed down and did lots of PT) but it flared up just doing nothing for some reason.  Now after 2 runs in two days (6 and 7 miles)  I have full blown PF.

Why would taking time off make my PF so much worse now?

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Hmmmm, that definitely sounds weird to me. (I remember you talking about the knee the night *my knee* started acting up for no reason).

I can only guess that while resting, you still do have to get yourself around and perhaps just the walking itself was enough *activity* to exacerbate the problem but not enough to influence healing? (i. e.  enough tissue movement to induce good blood flow)

I tend to deal with light cases of PF that come and go and I used to freak out a bit more but after that article in RW several months ago which implied that we can usually run thru the common issues, I tend to just keep rolling with my routine and ignore it unless it gets worse.

I wouldn't ignore your gut feeling that you have full blown PF but maybe you can still overcome it with active covers now that your knee is feeling better??? (Shrug)

Randy

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

What kind of footwear do you sport when you aren't running?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Buelligan

What kind of footwear do you sport when you aren't running?

Old running shoes mostly and Clarks desert boots (shoes actually... not sure why they're called boots).

Maybe it was the near complete inactivity that exacerbated the almost gone PF?  I thought I was nearly done with it but now it feels like I'm back at square one.  I'm gonna run anyway.  Hopefully the pain will go away during the run like it typically does when you first start getting the symptoms of PF.  If I can run relatively pain free or at least with manageable pain, I'll live with the suffering when I walk.

At least the knee feels good... so far.  The PF I know I can get over.  The knee I'm not so sure about.  It's been compromised for 20 years now (not from running, btw.  No telling how bad it would be if I wasn't running).

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I have no idea.  That is strange.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

happylily

I just started having PF myself. I was under the impression that I was stuck with doing the boring calf stretches for the rest of my life, whether I run or not. Did you keep stretching or you stopped? How do you treat your PF, aside from total rest?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Maybe you were walking favoring the knee you hurt and therefore injured the PF?

Damaris

LRB

Maybe you were walking favoring the knee you hurt and therefore injured the PF?

I suppose that is plausible, I think I injured my achilles favoring my hip.  I have no evidence to back it up but I clearly remember thinking during that fateful run that I was going to screw something up favoring my hip, and sure as shit I did.

Buelligan

How do you treat your PF, aside from total rest?

I did lots of stretching and took a lot of ibuprofen initially (for 2 weeks) and it seemed to keep it from flaring up badly during my active recovery.  When I had it in my right foot a few years ago I did lots of icing and rolled my foot constantly on a ball, but this didn't seem to help at all so I didn't do it when I got it in my left foot.   The PF was almost gone when I took the 2 weeks off and it got worse with no activity at all.

I did 5 miles last night (my shortest run in 4 years!) and the pain was tenable.   Might rest today, we'll see.  I don't really want to, but maybe I'll just have a few beers instead.

happylily

I did lots of stretching and took a lot of ibuprofen initially (for 2 weeks) and it seemed to keep it from flaring up badly during my active recovery.  When I had it in my right foot a few years ago I did lots of icing and rolled my foot constantly on a ball, but this didn't seem to help at all so I didn't do it when I got it in my left foot.   The PF was almost gone when I took the 2 weeks off and it got worse with no activity at all.

I did 5 miles last night (my shortest run in 4 years!) and the pain was tenable.   Might rest today, we'll see.  I don't really want to, but maybe I'll just have a few beers instead.

PF is scary, with all the horror stories about it that go around on the internet. I've stopped researching it because it was driving me crazy with anxiety... After 7 weeks of not being able to run at all, I can run now (been 2 weeks back), albeit with some amount of pain. I figure the PF is here to stay for a while and if I wait for it to be completely gone, I'll never run again. As long as my gait isn't affected, I'm willing to put up with it. I ran 9 miles today. The first two were really not comfortable, then I went tempo and the pain went away. Weird... You remind me, time to stretch and ice (or is it ice and stretch? I hate that stuff...)

RSX

1 word cortisone.

happylily

1 word cortisone.

I thought of that, but I've read so many scary stories about things gone bad because of it!

...  The pain never got really bad during my active recovery (kept the speed down and did lots of PT) but it flared up just doing nothing for some reason.  Now after 2 runs in two days (6 and 7 miles)  I have full blown PF.

Why would taking time off make my PF so much worse now?

Most things do better with some level of activity. It's been 10 yr since I had my hip / core problems, but if there's certain things I don't do, they remind me.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog