Beginners and Beyond

Run Hard Columbia Marathon - RR...AKA...how not to train (Read 52 times)

RabbitChaser

What: Run Hard Columbia Marathon
    When: March 7, 2015
    Where: Columbia, SC
    Weather: 30F-50F, sunny
    Why: To meet some awesome friends!
    Goals: Mainly to just finish, but I did want to at least finish sub-5:00
    Official Time: 4:29:15

All in all, it was a great weekend. The race went well until Mile 21, then lack of training set in and I got in a funk. I eventually got defunkedified and found my wheels again. Mile 26 was my third fastest mile and the last .45 was run at a 7:16 pace.

Here is a link to my blog if you want to read the full report and see photos from the race:
    Full Race Report

If you just want to see my splits, here is a link to that data from my suunto:
    Suunto Race Data

Eric

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, considering!  Congrats, Eric!

Damaris

happylily

Cool RR and what an awesome FE! Congratulations, Eric!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I will read it later. Nice to see you still at it.

Cool  RR.  I'm sure it's a memorable race for the encounter with online running friends, the snowy drive there and the race itself.  Smiles abound in all those photos.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

RabbitChaser

Damaris - Thanks

Lily - Thanks, the FE was the best part!

Rich - Thanks! I've been keeping on, just haven't been writing many reports to share.

boyzdeco - Thanks! It's definitely a memorable race for all the reasons you described.

GinnyinPA

Given your lack of training in the months before the race, you did amazingly well.  Congratulations on meeting your goal.  Good job.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job! Wow on the pics..... I do not like traveling during bad weather... not fun.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cool report and pics, Eric.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice RR and nice photos too, looks like some nice scenery along the way! Sounds like you enjoyed yourself with your friends, etc.

Congrats on your race and on getting under your 5-hour goal time.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

I just read your full report.  You met your goal AND had a great time with new friends, way to go!

About that pile-up at the start:  I see someone drop their phone at the the beginning of almost every race!

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Thanks for the RR.  Always fun to read about others experiences