Beginners and Beyond

RR - Cranford Cure for Diabetes 5k (Read 44 times)

LRB

I actually cover it up with one of those floppy rubber wristbands (like the Livestrong style ones).  I just stretch it over my whole watch and the band is wide enough to cover most of my watch face.

You should try it during your quality sessions, it's actually pretty cool when you nail it. I've had some workouts where I didn't look at my watch for the entire workout. It's like running with less baggage, you feel lighter without the weight of trying to run a pace.

Baboon

delicate flower

Congrats on the OA placement!  All you can do is show up and race.  If you land an OA award by doing that, you earned it.

I definitely blame the combination of your fatigue and the cramp.  That travel schedule sounds rough.  Also, the cramp probably slowed you down more than you think.  A 10 second walk break also includes slowing down, and then having to ramp back up to pace, if you even can.  A couple of those can easily cost you up to a minute.  I think you did great all things considered.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Second overall is better than second AG. With all that travel and lack of sleep in the last few days, your time and experience don't surprise me, though I'll bet the side stitch accounted for most of the slowdown.

+1.   Congrats on your race and the 2nd overall.  I traveled a lot during my military days and that jeg-lag can keep you worn out for several days post-travel until your body clock readjusts.  Considering all your circumstances - travel, race terrain, etc. - you did really great.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sorry for the lack of PR.  Great job, though.

Damaris

workinprogress11

Apparently getting a side stitch is not limited to us recreational runners. 

You and I have something in common with the elites!  I get side stitches too in both 5ks and 10ks.

I think you did very well considering what you were working with.  The 2nd OA is great, small race or not.  If you ever find a cure for side stitches let me know and I'll do the same for you.

music_girl117

Baboon, thanks.  That's a good point about the slowing down and speeding up again around the walk breaks; I hadn't thought about that.

Scotty, thanks!  It was a really tough few days.  I am going to remember this for the future and not schedule a race immediately after getting back from a trip!

Thanks Damaris!

Workinprogress, it's a deal!! And thanks! Smile

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Brilliant

Congratulations on the 2nd!  That's amazing...with walk breaks, no less!  Don't beat yourself up over not making your time goal.  You know why... travel, exhaustion, and side stitches, pick any one of those.  You'll have another good day next time.