Beginners and Beyond

My first confrontation with a dog! (Read 112 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't trust those damn things, a lot of yards in my area have "Warning: Invisible Fence Training", yeah......... that sounds reassuring lol.

I don't. Fortunately the only times I have had dogs charging at me, they were behind invisible fences. And even though I knew (or was pretty sure) they couldn't get me, it still scared the living shit out of me. So I have no idea what I would do with one actually on the loose.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If I lived in the country, I think I'd invest in a small pistol and just shoot the fuckers.  Problem solved.

I am tempted with small dogs, dislike them very much but other than that I'd much rather shoot the owner than the dog. Then again I am an animal lover, and I'd rather not hurt the animal but if it was me or them I wouldn't hesitate.

Dtothe2nd that is exactly what I am talking about, normally packs of 3 or more dogs is so much more dangerous than just one dog, they have a lead dog (alpha) and follow his/her moves. Luckily I don't have that issue around here, and small dogs suck ass damn it.

Except for the lab mix that always seems to catch me on his road and tags along for 3-5 miles, in my experience (MINE) most dogs intent on attacking/eating you will not bark, sometimes not even growl as they're coming at you, they have an intent in their eyes. Dogs that are warning you, wanting you out of their territory, want  your attention, etc.. will bark at you. I've noticed that the moment I stop and look at them, facing or to the side, they stop dead in their tracks and just wait.... like it's a game or something  and sometimes I have to walk a little while keeping an eye on them, in which they soon get bored and go back to whatever. But that is my experience.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Yikes, glad you're ok, Rick.

Never mind pepper spray, carry a cat Big grin

kettledrum

This is the #1 thing I worry about while out on runs.   My family did not have a dog growing up and I had a scary (to me at least) experience as a child and that has stuck with me my entire life.   As a result, and unfair or not, I tend to be leery.

I have taken the approach of lily and try to ignore them, don't stop, don't speed up, don't acknowledge them at all.  In my limited experience the small dogs are the worst.  They are the ones who will cross the neighborhood street to mess with me.  Maybe that's because larger dogs get put on invisible fences?  Like others have said on here the owners either aren't around or don't seem to care very much, yelling at their dog only after it would be too late, if in fact it was actually attacking.   Of course I could probably drop kick one of those pretty far if I absolutely had to.

But I have considered that this approach could fail and if I keep running and they chase they could get me in the calf before I realized it.  Which makes Freesoul's approach a good possibility too.  Something to consider for sure...

As for shooting a dog....perhaps packing heat while running my not be such a good idea.  Don't be this guy.

LRB

This is the #1 thing I worry about while out on runs.   My family did not have a dog growing up and I had a scary (to me at least) experience as a child and that has stuck with me my entire life.   As a result, and unfair or not, I tend to be leery.

I have taken the approach of lily and try to ignore them, don't stop, don't speed up, don't acknowledge them at all.  In my limited experience the small dogs are the worst.  They are the ones who will cross the neighborhood street to mess with me.  Maybe that's because larger dogs get put on invisible fences?  Like others have said on here the owners either aren't around or don't seem to care very much, yelling at their dog only after it would be too late, if in fact it was actually attacking.   Of course I could probably drop kick one of those pretty far if I absolutely had to.

But I have considered that this approach could fail and if I keep running and they chase they could get me in the calf before I realized it.  Which makes Freesoul's approach a good possibility too.  Something to consider for sure...

As for shooting a dog....perhaps packing heat while running my not be such a good idea.  Don't be this guy.

That headline was worth clicking the link alone.  lol

happylily

Wow, that was a weird story, kettledrum. How could he not have felt it?  Can't say I'm all that surprised that he shot himself, though.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Well I ordered the stupid spray, it should be here in a few days. I am not sure how practical it will be to carry it since I currently run in a singlet, shorts, socks, shoes and little nothing else.

That is far departure from all the crap I used to take with me on runs but the thought of that helpless feeling remains etched in my mind so we shall see...

LRB

I'll tell you what I might end up doing; I might just go down the street where this particular dog lives and empty the entire can in his left eyeball.  Problem solved!

B-Plus

Well I ordered the stupid spray, it should be here in a few days. I am not sure how practical it will be to carry it since I currently run in a singlet, shorts, socks, shoes and little nothing else.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My spray has a little handheld thingy it goes in so I've got it in my hand always ready just in case. I need to get some more. This is what I have.

http://www.guardian-self-defense.com/sabre-red-jogger-pepper-spray

I have the black one and unless how that last pic is showing, I carry mine on the inside of my palm, much more comfortable.

That is far departure from all the crap I used to take with me on runs but the thought of that helpless feeling remains etched in my mind so we shall see...

PRs

#artbydmcbride

yeah, like this one!

Runners run

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This will require stitches.  You must have never carried a cat while they are dancing a merengue after seeing a dog?

Damaris