Beginners and Beyond

RR - my debut 10k (Read 63 times)

Love the Half

I like the small local races for a whole host of reasons.  Better chance to score some swag, parking near the start/finish, no getting herded around like cattle, not having to jostle for position, etc.  BTW, pacing a 10K is the hardest damn thing in racing IMHO.  If you ever figure out how to do it, let me know.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I like the small local races for a whole host of reasons.  Better chance to score some swag, parking near the start/finish, no getting herded around like cattle, not having to jostle for position, etc.  BTW, pacing a 10K is the hardest damn thing in racing IMHO.  If you ever figure out how to do it, let me know.

No shit, completely agree.

Echoed by my coach who got on a soap box about the evils of the 10k distance - he hates it.

LRB

I use my tempo pace as a baseline, then adjust from there in-race according to how I feel.  That with the knowledge that I should be able to run faster than my tempo pace in a 10k, but that is not always the case.

Love the Half

No shit, completely agree.

Echoed by my coach who got on a soap box about the evils of the 10k distance - he hates it.

I have never run a 10K and felt good about it.  I either hit Mile 5 and think, "well shit, I've got way too much gas in the tank" or I hit Mile 4 already praying for death while my pace fades.  Part of the difficulty is that 10K's are becoming something of a rare breed and I only get the opportunity to run one or two a year.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

I have never run a 10K and felt good about it.  I either hit Mile 5 and think, "well shit, I've got way too much gas in the tank" or I hit Mile 4 already praying for death while my pace fades.  Part of the difficulty is that 10K's are becoming something of a rare breed and I only get the opportunity to run one or two a year.

Bingo. There is one I've done a couple of times here on Labor day and another that is run in April. There are others but you definitely have to search them out around here.

I like the small local races for a whole host of reasons.  Better chance to score some swag, parking near the start/finish, no getting herded around like cattle, not having to jostle for position, etc.  

I thought this one was pretty well organized, well marked course, all you could really ask for. LRB was there & can better comment on how it stacked up vs. others in the area, as he races a lot more. And mercifully they did not bother with finisher's medals. Which did not even strike me until I got home, after flashing my AG award mug, and my daughter asks "didn't you get a medal?".

Dave

LRB

The Martian 5k medal is on par with Olympic medals but no I do not want that.  And just when event shirts started to become optiona,l finishers medals became the new hotness keeping race fees escalated.