Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES are in the building (Read 38 times)

My dentist is one fast dude. He is training to beat last year's 3:10 in Boston. And is at the point in his training where he hates the very idea of a marathon. And it turns out that talking running was much more fun than talking about all the dental work I apparently need. Sad

I'm sure you were able to offer some insightful comments on training strategy, such as "mmmfgrzgl". I love it when dentists try to make conversation while you are in the chair.

5.2 easy miles at lunchtime, low 40's & sunny, in shorts.

Dave

happylily

I'm sure you were able to offer some insightful comments on training strategy, such as "mmmfgrzgl". I love it when dentists try to make conversation while you are in the chair.

5.2 easy miles at lunchtime, low 40's & sunny, in shorts.

Even more fun is having a conversation with a gynecologist, during an exam.

"So, Mrs L., do you have an Apple computer, or an IBM? And could you open your legs a bit wider, please?"

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Or ask you a question then immediately shove a drill down in your mouth.

delicate flower

My dentist is one fast dude. He is training to beat last year's 3:10 in Boston. And is at the point in his training where he hates the very idea of a marathon. And it turns out that talking running was much more fun than talking about all the dental work I apparently need. Sad

Funny, the woman who cleans my teeth is also a runner and always wants to discuss it while she's scraping away at my teeth.  And I am not at the point yet where I am hating the marathon, but I suspect the next four weeks will get me there.  Peak weeks.

<3

Funny, the woman who cleans my teeth is also a runner and always wants to discuss it while she's scraping away at my teeth.  And I am not at the point yet where I am hating the marathon, but I suspect the next four weeks will get me there.  Peak weeks.

But I'm sure you are always at the point where you hate the very idea of someone scraping away at your teeth.

Dave

delicate flower

But I'm sure you are always at the point where you hate the very idea of someone scraping away at your teeth.

I don't mind until she hits a sensitive spot.  Then FML.

<3

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.1 for me today.

Marjorie

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I don't mind until she hits a sensitive spot.  Then FML.

Word.

I don't think I go through the hating the marathon thing. I just get a case of "Are we there yet?"

- Andrew

Zelanie, enjoy your track workout. Great news about Zoe. I hope that your teeth are better soon.

Slymoon Runs, you have been running all over the place.

Andrew, nice 11.5.

scottydawg, 5K in 88F? Yikes. I hope that your appointments go well.

Marjorie, terrific 10.1.

I did the hill two blocks from work three times. .76 mile in 7:51. 10:20 pace. The soundtrack was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDk6fvkEp2k.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Or ask you a question then immediately shove a drill down in your mouth.

This reminds me of Bill Cosby's HIMSELF so much!

Damaris

I don't think I go through the hating the marathon thing. I just get a case of "Are we there yet?"

^Mostly this for me. Although I have not gone through any training plans as brutal as some here have.

So far, the greatest feelings of hatred for the marathon have happened when I was actually running them.

Presumably my issue is I need to hate the training more, so I will like the race better.

Dave

Mmmmm...beer

This reminds me of Bill Cosby's HIMSELF so much!

Rbinse? You want me to rbinse when my bottom libp is on the floorb? Obkby! Smile  One of the best comedy routines of all time.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

Back from my three hour class, ugh.  A guy sitting next to me began snoring so loud that everyone started looking at me.  So I finally woke him up before the speaker noticed it!

Looks like everything is good here.  Carry on. 

StepbyStep-SH

Hello, all! Late checking in - partially because I decided this was a day for me. Dropped DS at school, drove down into La Crosse to run my 14.28 miles (9:15 average pace) with some different scenery, including paved trails through a few parks and a couple of miles past neat older homes. I included 8x5:00@10k effort with 2:00 recoveries. My paces:
                              8:20
                              8:25
                              8:21
                              7:54
                              8:15
                              8:00
                              7:58
                              8:10

Not quite what I wanted, but OK. I'm thinking my goal of getting under 40:00 for my 5-mile race Sunday may not happen.

Then I stopped by a new running store that just opened last week, bought a pair of shoes (Asics Cumulus 15), a pair of socks and a couple of energy bars/chews. Total was only $139, which was less than I expected. I guess the store owner might be more competitive on price than I had expected - hope he can make a go of it, since it's a young guy just out of college.

I bought a sandwich and an apple from the local food co-op to eat sitting in a park overlooking the Mississippi River, then stopped and bought a new phone on the way home. Yes, a day all about ME!

Martial arts class yet tonight and watching Nature on PBS with my son. That's how wild and crazy this family is.

Today's beautiful sunshine and temps in the 30s and 40s makes it hard to believe that we could have anything from just icky rain to freezing rain or potentially a few inches of snow 48 hours from now, depending on how the system develops. I'm crossing my fingers for garden variety spring rain. Please.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

outoftheblue

Good afternoon -- it was a busy morning, so I'm checking in late.  Elliptical and core last night and 6 easy miles on tap for tonight.

For those following my Chicken Dailies, we lost one of the five eggs under the broody hen this morning.  When I checked and there were just 4 eggs, plus  an empty shell with a little blood on it.  I think the egg got cracked when the nest overturned yesterday and so she went ahead and ate it.  A little gross, but I understand that's what chickens do when an egg breaks that they are sitting on.   Can't just leave it stinking up the nest, I guess.  I just hope she doesn't develop a taste for them.  Sadly, some chickens do and can't let them brood any more.

Zelanie   -- As to your question, I pondered over that 8 mile LR on race week as well.  I kept thinking, isn't you know, my HALF MARATHON supposed to my long run this week?   Then I went back and read the section explaining his charts again, and I'm pretty sure he was figuring that you would be doing a Sunday thru Saturday run week, and that the long run would be done on Sunday, Day 1, of each week.  So, using that approach, your last long run would be 8 miles  the Sunday (and thus 6 or 7 days) before your race.    By the time I realized that, I was already out of sync, as I had been doing my long run on Day 7 of my run week.   I ended up with my final longs runs being 12 miles (2 weeks out)  and 9 miles (7 days before my race).     Otherwise, I would have cramming in 2 long runs in the week before my race, and that just didn't seem like much of a taper to me.

Life is good.