Beginners and Beyond

Race Packets - What Do YOU Get? (Read 83 times)

I got a beer ticket at my first race last spring.  It was a race in honor of an officer killed in the line of duty the previous year.  There was this guy I had been leapfrogging (I was jogging steady - he was doing a run walk thing.) and when it was clear I was about to pass him the last time, I verified he was a cop and gave him my ticket.

Other than that, the best swag I've gotten have been pint glasses.  They are giving out a really cool one at the race I'm doing in a couple weeks:

http://www.greatisland5k.org/2013/09/09/commemorative-glass/

happylily

Five years ago, I ran the Army Run HM in Ottawa. It was their inaugural race and although they were expecting about 3,000 participants, 7,000 registered. The goody bag was full of stuff with the Canadian Army logo. It was cool. Also some cliff bars, etc,,, Two weeks ago, I ran the same race. There are now 22,000 participants. The goody bag had nothing in it, except for a shirt (a nice one, though) and my bib. Weird... I hope it's not a sign of our army's sad budget...

For my marathon in Prague, I was given a cool backpack with the Prague marathon logo on it, an Adidas shirt, candy stuff,  gels. European running magazines, etc... This is in contrast with the empty packets I usually get around here.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

I didn't know Canada had an Army.  I thought they all looked like this:

Next time they should add a tunic instead of a shirt for swag!

TakeAHike

Mostly crappy brochures, ads and coupons. I don't really notice them when I race by myself, but when I run with my kids and come home with 3 bags of crap, we end of with a huge pile of waste.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Baboon

delicate flower

Race packets I get are pretty much worthless, for the most part.  Usually ads and coupons in the bag, then more ads and coupons under my windshield wiper when I get back to the car.  I expect only a shirt, and anything more than that is just a bonus.  I did get a number belt once, which I use regularly.  That was pretty cool.

<3

Mmmmm...beer

Only good stuff I've gotten was from my local club's distance series.  A knit cap that I actually wear when it's really cold out, and a pair of socks (both have the club logo on them).  While I don't run in the socks, they are great for wearing around the house, especially after a race, they're the thickest, softest socks I've ever owned. Smile

I want to run Boston just for the bottle opener, hope they still have it in 2015. Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Baboon

delicate flower

I want to run Boston just for the bottle opener, hope they still have it in 2015. Big grin

See you there?

<3

happylily

Only good stuff I've gotten was from my local club's distance series.  A knit cap that I actually wear when it's really cold out, and a pair of socks (both have the club logo on them).  While I don't run in the socks, they are great for wearing around the house, especially after a race, they're the thickest, softest socks I've ever owned. Smile

YES! That bottle opener is way cool! My SO loves to use it and pretend it's his.

Baboon

delicate flower

I'm curious, what comes with the Boston registration?  Do you just get the shirt and have to buy all the other stuff?  I know the jacket is $100 or so.

<3

happylily

I'm curious, what comes with the Boston registration?  Do you just get the shirt and have to buy all the other stuff?  I know the jacket is $100 or so.

Yep. You get a long sleeved shirt, bottle opener, lots of edible stuff and a nice certificate and souvenir catalogue with your name and time printed in it, mailed to you a few months later. Nothing else.

happylily

By the way, I heard that Canadians and Europeans had received their commemorative book a week early, before Americans. I was wondering if Americans had received a special edition (a more patriotic one, maybe...) because of the events. LTH, Jay... what was the cover of yours like?

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

The best three items I've received are:  1.)  5-gallon bucket (Evansville Half does this every year)  2.)  Recyclable grocery bag (Flying Pig, et al)  3.)  Drawstring bags.  These are all items I use frequently, so they're incredibly useful to me.  Most of the other stuff...  Not so much, unless it's unhealthy food.

Something witty

HobbitLegs

elevenses

I've gotten drawstring bags, shirts, a cutting board, brown rice, a cereal sample, shaving gel, lotion samples, granola bar, coupons to the LRS, coupons for restaurants, info about other races.

Mmmmm...beer

See you there?

Absolutely!  Providing I BQ in March of course, if not, then I'll give it another shot later next year, but I think I'll be good for March.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Baboon

delicate flower

Absolutely!  Providing I BQ in March of course, if not, then I'll give it another shot later next year, but I think I'll be good for March.

Well good luck!  I'm hoping to do it in May.  I think I need to get about 10 minutes faster than where I am right now, but I've got eight months to get there.  Might be a reach but we'll see how training goes.

<3