Beginners and Beyond

Respect the distance (Read 323 times)

monkkey

I just didn't see much to discuss... I mean, it's pretty clear she didn't train and had a miserable time.

How did the half go for you yesterday?

No, I just thought it would be interesting to discuss the merits of different parts of her post. Feel free to ignore it.

Hip Redux

I was thinking about inviting her here.

That would be a lot more productive than just bashing her. Smile

Just B.S.

That would be a lot more productive than just bashing her. Smile

Yes, great idea Jan!!

That way she might learn something about proper training.

She would probably also learn that even if you are trained for a race things can happen on

race day that might cause a DNF or a miserable race.

However I do believe she said she was never doing a marathon again, and seemed quite

adamant about that!LOL

xor

No, I just thought it would be interesting to discuss the merits of different parts of her post. Feel free to ignore it.

Um, ok.  What are the merits as you see them?

It really does seem like a "here's something that sucks" post.  The "what do you think" is an invitation for pile on ass kicking.

Which she may or may not deserve.

But it's Disney.  The only high and mighty there is green and has presidents on it.

xor

Yes, great idea Jan!!

She would probably also learn that even if you are trained for a race things can happen on

Fiddlesticks.  What she would learn is that there's a group of people making fun of her.  Edit: and getting all harsh because she didn't "respect" and all that judgy stuff. At Disney.

(which, hey, she publicized her antics in a blog.  You do that, you pay the poke-fun tax)

Just B.S.

Fiddlesticks.  What she would learn is that there's a group of people making fun of her.  Edit: and getting all harsh because she didn't "respect" and all that judgy stuff. At Disney.

(which, hey, she publicized her antics in a blog.  You do that, you pay the poke-fun tax)

I was trying to be facetious....but apparently not very well.....and point out that people who frequent

running message boards don't necessarily always do everything right when it comes to training and

racing. And that they also can  have poor training cycles, bad run, bad races and DNF"s.

And really, I feel badly for her. She is just some poor chick that had an idea that she excuted poorly and then

unwittingly put it on a blog for "real runners" to make fun of.

Plus, Kevin is really cute.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

The majority of the "healthy living bloggers" I've heard of stop mid-race, or even mid-long run, to take pictures and update Twitter. From their blog posts I can tell that they take their training/racing quite seriously.

In transit, arriving on time. 

xor

I was trying to be facetious....but apparently not very well.....and point out that people who frequent

running message boards don't necessarily always do everything right when it comes to training and

racing. And that they also can  have poor training cycles, bad run, bad races and DNF"s.

True true.

When a person-not-from here does something like this, 90% of the posts about it are "what an idiot".  10% are "eh, whatever".  When a person-from-the-forum does something like this, 75% of the posts are all "haha, what fun!" and "there, there... you'll get em next time".  22% of the posts are "respect the distance".  1.5% are "what an idiot".  1% are "hey haters, don't you see the fun in this?" which may or may not devolve into an internet fight. 0.5% are unknown substance.

Those numbers were scientifically derived.

(the internet explained)

xor

Me and Frozone.

Just B.S.

So you stopped during a race to take a photo with a character? did you tweet about it afterward?

I'm doing the Disney Princess next month with a friend for her 50th bday. She chose the race and

it's also her first half.

Our goal is as many pics as humanly possible in 13.1 miles. Now I"m thinking I need to get

myself a Twitter account so you call can follow my race day antics in real time.Big grin

Me and Frozone.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Isn't that her fault for not training properly?  Had she trained and do the same and DNF for other reasons, she might not have been so adamant about not doing it again.

Yes, great idea Jan!!

However I do believe she said she was never doing a marathon again, and seemed quite

adamant about that!LOL

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

marymary and I stopped on every character during the Goofy (the HM portion).  It was lots of fun.

So you stopped during a race to take a photo with a character? did you tweet about it afterward?

I'm doing the Disney Princess next month with a friend for her 50th bday. She chose the race and

it's also her first half.

Our goal is as many pics as humanly possible in 13.1 miles. Now I"m thinking I need to get

myself a Twitter account so you call can follow my race day antics in real time.Big grin

Damaris

Mmmmm...beer

"One of the first things he told me after he finished was “Never again.” .... And I know a lot of people say this and don’t mean it but really, I’m never doing this again."

This is the really sad part, imo.  I'm still a noob, but I've already seen a lot of people do this, they go into a race unprepared, have a horrible experience, and then swear it off. 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

monkkey

Stevie Ray wins the thread with that pic.

Village people

True true.

When a person-not-from here does something like this, 90% of the posts about it are "what an idiot".  10% are "eh, whatever".  When a person-from-the-forum does something like this, 75% of the posts are all "haha, what fun!" and "there, there... you'll get em next time".  22% of the posts are "respect the distance".  1.5% are "what an idiot".  1% are "hey haters, don't you see the fun in this?" which may or may not devolve into an internet fight. 0.5% are unknown substance.

Those numbers were scientifically derived.

(the internet explained)

You dazzled me with your math!