Beginners and Beyond

Noob questions regarding pace groups (Read 119 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

No advice but I was JUST wondering a lot of this myself. I found out my June 10 Miler will have pace groups, as will my fall HM. I've never had a pace group before,and was thinking I'd try it out during the 10 Miler to decide if it is something I want to do for my half. But I was actually wondering a LOT of the same things....so thanks for starting this thread! Good luck!!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jess runs for bacon

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone!   It doesn't sound like there are any rules around the pace groups, except of course the race etiquette that applies to all runners.

I like the concept of being a parasite, latching onto a pace group if I need it.  I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't bad form to do that.

I'm ready to go....can we just do this race already??!!!

Say hi to me if you can! i'll have a Breakfast Club Runners shirt on. I have no voice right now so you won't have to worry about me being chatty, lol.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

You'll do great Margo, pace group or not.  Don't forget, I set a low bar of 2:24 for the April debut's.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I've done that same race several times, and I usually start off with a pace group for the very same reason you said...to avoid going out too fast.  However, once you hit MLK Drive (about 3 miles in), that's when the crowd thins out a bit, and you can step it up if you feel you can do so at that point.

I will say the first time I ran that same race was with the 2:00 pacer, and she was great...she actually said, "I'm here for you to beat me, so if you feel good, go for it", which I ended up doing at mile 12 and ended up coming in about a minute ahead of them.  So, no, you absolutely DO NOT have to stay with the pace group.  However, the 2:20 pacer (Laura) is a friend of mine who's a great pacer, so if you manage to catch her, you can stay with her too. Smile

I will tell you, that they only start their watches when they actually cross the start mat, so while the clock may show you as being behind, they're probably not according to their watch.  Oh, and I forgo wearing the pace group bib on my back...you don't need a bunch of people asking you if you're on time to finish.

But good luck on Sunday!  I'll be doing the 5K, so I'll be starting 10 minutes before you. Smile

Philliefan33

LJ -- I'll look for you.  I don't know yet what I will be wearing.

Now I'm tempted to go out with the 2:20 pace group and adjust as needed.  The pace of the 2:30 group is right about my typical LR pace (~11:30 m/m).  I should be able to do better than that, with a taper and the excitement.  Plugging my recent 5K time into MacMillan predicts a 2:13 finish (10:11 m/m), which almost terrifies me -- I can't see that happening for 13 miles.  So maybe the 2:20 group (10:42 pace) is a good place to start.

I got some nice encouragement from my daughter yesterday.  We were texting back and forth, and she asked what DH and I had planned for the weekend.  I reminded her that my race was Sunday:

DD:  Are ya ready?

Me:  Yes.  I've done over 12 miles a couple of times so I know I can cover the distance.  The only question is can I do it any faster than my training runs.  And hopefully I don't have poop issues. Blush

DD:  Hahah yes, I'll be thinking of you for that one.  Well I think that is awesome mom and I am extremely proud of you and how far you've come!  And even if you don't do it faster than your training, I would still consider that a win in my book.

So as long as I finish DD will be proud. Smile

YAYpril - B-Plus

Having run this course, it's pretty impossible to negative-split due to the hills in the second half. I wouldn't recommend going out TOO slow, so it might be good for you to stick with 2:20 (or even 2:15, I think they have that group this year) and see if you can hang on through the hills.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Our DD's only comment on our debut HM.....  " BadAsses "

LJ -- I'll look for you.  I don't know yet what I will be wearing.

Now I'm tempted to go out with the 2:20 pace group and adjust as needed.  The pace of the 2:30 group is right about my typical LR pace (~11:30 m/m).  I should be able to do better than that, with a taper and the excitement.  Plugging my recent 5K time into MacMillan predicts a 2:13 finish (10:11 m/m), which almost terrifies me -- I can't see that happening for 13 miles.  So maybe the 2:20 group (10:42 pace) is a good place to start.

I got some nice encouragement from my daughter yesterday.  We were texting back and forth, and she asked what DH and I had planned for the weekend.  I reminded her that my race was Sunday:

DD:  Are ya ready?

Me:  Yes.  I've done over 12 miles a couple of times so I know I can cover the distance.  The only question is can I do it any faster than my training runs.  And hopefully I don't have poop issues. Blush

DD:  Hahah yes, I'll be thinking of you for that one.  Well I think that is awesome mom and I am extremely proud of you and how far you've come!  And even if you don't do it faster than your training, I would still consider that a win in my book.

So as long as I finish DD will be proud. Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I've used a pace group twice, and I didn't use either for the entire race.  I think it's a great way to tackle a new distance when you don't have a lot of experience at a distance.

I have heard chatter between runners and pacers, but I've never participated much.  If I say anything during a race, it's usually one or two words like, "Thank you".  The other thing is that you don't have to be right on top of the pacer.

Here's what I have done.  I line up about 20-30 feet behind the pacers flag, and leave enough people between me and the pacer that he or she doesn't even realize that I'm part of the group.  Then, I just keep that flag in my sights.  If I notice they are going a little too fast, I know they'll correct as soon as they notice it.  If they slow down for a water stop, and I don't want to I can still keep them in front of me.  Being behind them won't hurt your time because it's going to be chip timed.

If you're past the halfway point, and would like to pass them they shouldn't mind at all.  I broke away from my last pace group, and I didn't think they even noticed that I was part of their pack.  Then, after about 3 miles out on my own, one of the two pacers for the group pulled up next to me.  He asked how I was doing, and said I looked great.  He went back to the pack.  I thought that was pretty crazy.  I finished 53 seconds ahead of them...lol

Most only seem to care that you have a great experience.  They're good people, and provide an excellent service.

Noob question time.

Next Sunday is the first time I am running a race that is large enough to offer pace groups. There is a pace group available for a 2:30 finish time (HM).  This is a reasonable finish time for me, although I’m hoping to go a little faster.  I’m considering using the pace group at the beginning of the race to keep me from getting caught up in the excitement and going out too fast.

What is Pace group etiquette?  Is it okay to start with the pacer but then break away after a while?  What if I try to go out on my own, but fade and end up falling back to the pace group….can I join (or rejoin)?  What is proper behavior while running with the group – do runners chat to help pass the time or is that considered rude?  What if I don’t feel like chatting?

Part of me wants to use the pacer because it’s my first race at this distance and I wouldn’t mind the help / company.  Another part of me says that this is my race, and for better or worse I need to tackle it alone.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I didn't even see the pace group in my corral.  Do they normally gather in the relevant corral?