Beginners and Beyond

Fox Cities Half Marathon RR (Read 67 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

Nice!  I'd say that was a hugely successful "fitness test"!  You really held it together well too.

Your PR is 17 seconds faster than mine.  If you were DaveP or Jack K, my Friday would now be ruined.

<3

DavePNW

Your PR is 17 seconds faster than mine.  If you were DaveP or Jack K, my Friday would now be ruined.

Thanks?

Dave

happylily

I would actually think that it is worse to be beaten by a woman than by two guys. Even if those two guys are older than you.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Damn dude.    You know you let your head get to you too much.  Maybe all those fast cycling miles helped.  (Don't tell Mr. Onemile that though!) Congrats on the PR!  I'm super excited to see how Monumental goes, but I'm even more excited to see how 2015 treats you.

Running is dumb.

DavePNW

I would actually think that it is worse to be beaten by a woman than by two guys. Even if those two guys are older than you.

And fatter. (At least for the older of the 2 old guys.) But he will be relieved to know I have no plans to lop >5 min off my HM PR.

Anyway, probably worst of all to get beaten by someone wearing a costume.

Dave

happylily

And fatter. (At least for the older of the 2 old guys.) But he will be relieved to know I have no plans to lop >5 min off my HM PR.

Anyway, probably worst of all to get beaten by someone wearing a costume.

Last Sunday, I let a woman who was wearing a pink top beat me. And she was in my AG. 

LRB

I would actually think that it is worse to be beaten by a woman than by two guys. 

In arm wrestling or pit spitting maybe, in running, not so much...unless you are an elite male.  

Baboon

delicate flower

onemile, I just stalked your log.  That 10K PR is unacceptable.  It high time you did something about that.

<3

From the Internet.

I want to run like you when I grow up! Great running, thanks for sharing with us! Smile

happylily

In arm wrestling or pit spitting maybe, in running, not so much...unless you are an elite male.  

Why would it be different at a recreational level? It's exactly the same. If you're the competitive type, of course. If you're not, then it doesn't really matter to you who is faster than you.

LRB

Why would it be different at a recreational level? It's exactly the same. If you're the competitive type, of course. If you're not, then it doesn't really matter to you who is faster than you.

I have gotten smoked enough by girls to know that it is the rule and not the exception. lol

For me there is absolutely no shame in that, none at all. But then I have never been bothered by any of those things so there is that.

happylily

I have gotten smoked enough by girls to know that it is the rule and not the exception. lol

For me there is absolutely no shame in that, none at all. But then I have never been bothered by any of those things so there is that.

I didn't say it was shameful!  But to me, it's an indication of one of two things. Either that female has better athletic genes than you, or you didn't train to your full potential and she did. I would think the same thing for a much older runner beating a younger runner. But it's certainly not shameful. Especially for recreational runners...

DavePNW

I want to run like you when I grow up!

Me too!

Dave

LRB

I didn't say it was shameful!  But to me, it's an indication of one of two things. Either that female has better athletic genes than you, or you didn't train to your full potential and she did. I would think the same thing for a much older runner beating a younger runner. But it's certainly not shameful. Especially for recreational runners...

I was speaking in general terms regarding no shame, not suggesting you said it was.

Basically the runners that place ahead of us are simply faster.  Some of the older ones we happen to beat are on the other side of their running career and were much faster in their prime.

It would be extremely difficult to know which runners in a sea of hundreds (or sometimes thousands) are our match, except for those that you race against routinely.

happylily

I was speaking in general terms regarding no shame, not suggesting you said it was.

Basically the runners that place ahead of us are simply faster.  Some of the older ones we happen to beat are on the other side of their running career and were much faster in their prime.

It would be extremely difficult to know which runners in a sea of hundreds (or sometimes thousands) are our match, except for those that you race against routinely.

I agree with that. But I would add that some of the runners who finish before us simply trained better. Others are just faster. And lastly, some are faster AND train better. In general, though, all things being equal in terms of genetics and training, men are faster than women and the young are faster than the old.