Beginners and Beyond

Monday Morning, nearly Ready Penguins (Read 34 times)

Zelanie

Morning!  Gotta run today, but I did want to share that as I was stretching last night, something popped in my knee exactly where it's been hurting, and now it feels so much better!  Still taking the week off, but I can be hopeful that it's just that simple, can't I?

Kristi- As far as soreness, I was very sore the day after, woke up the night after to take middle of the night ibuprofen, actually.  And I rarely take anything.  But two days after most of the soreness was gone.  Hoping you feel better soon!  It will have to be after work for your RR, though!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

SRD for me. This week will be light, as it is taper time. I am already drinking loads of water. Man, that course is hilly...

Have a good day.

Bin Running

4M recovery done with boss. Glad the youngster let me have an easy run today.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Morning all,

I took today off of work after my 1/2 yesterday! It seems like it was a good idea, my feet and thighs are very sore!! Is this normal? How long will I feel the effects of my race, I enjoneed the race, but I need ibuprofen now!!! Have a good Monday!

Kristi, you should, no you NEED to run a mile or 2 tomorrow or Wed, it will help with your recovery. As Awood said, don't overdo it, just take it really slow and easy. And yes it's normal to hurt. The run will hurt like crap at first, but trust me, it will help. I know a guy that did a half, he was very sore too, and he didn't run for recovery, and it took him almost 2 weeks to be able to walk normal. I love your new avi!

good morning friends,

i did 4 this am. although I haven't followed a marathon "plan" I am going to follow a hal higdon taper for the next 2 weeks.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Hola Penguins! The fun thing about being a beginner runner is I get to keep doing all these things i would have considered impossible a few months ago. My latest was yesterday...i did a relaxed, comfortable 5 mile run. WUT?!?! I've done 5 miles on Sunday each of the last 3 weeks. But this time felt much easier, I was actually relaxed and felt like I could have gone more if I wanted. Crazy talk, amirite?

I used to come on here and read about people doing a nice, easy 4 or 5 miles and think yeah, right, if by "easy" you mean it would kill me. Big grin And this was after a fairly hard run on Saturday where I beat my 5K race time without eve realizing it until the end. So yeah a good weekend for me. Perfect running weather both days too. But enough about me...good luck everyone today and the rest of the week!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

SO42 - you're quote below is absolutely perfect.  I've had that exact conversation with new runners whom are "in awe" of my running ability.  I swiftly remind them that I am no speed demon and don't see Olympic Trails anywhere in my future.  Also, how once upon a time the thought of running even a mile was totally laughable.  By that I mean hold my side cuz they hurt, laughable.  It isn't true anymore and I encourage them to keep at it; don't push so hard you get hurt; and, most importantly, compare yourself ONLY to yourself.  If you're making good progress then it doesn't matter if someone else can run twice as fast and long as you.  Keep on getting up off that couch and keep on getting healthier.

So, well done and pass the word to those of our friends and family that keep on pinning themselves down with low self esteem and "I'll never be able to do it" attitude.  Heck, my 70 year old mother in law just emailed my DW and I and told us how much we've inspired her she's up and walking every day.  For a woman with a knee replacement this is a big deal.  You just never know whom you'll inspire.

Hola Penguins! The fun thing about being a beginner runner is I get to keep doing all these things i would have considered impossible a few months ago.

I used to come on here and read about people doing a nice, easy 4 or 5 miles and think yeah, right, if by "easy" you mean it would kill me. Big grin 

Sloooow.

I was halfway done with personals, and the page jumped to my log? ARGH!

Will give it another shot in a sec! 2.2 miles this morning, followed by the first day of Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30. I actually wanted to be sick. Unfortunately I've signed up for a diet bet to lose 4% in 4 weeks. I'll be out $25 if I don't get a move on.

GinnyinPA

Zelanie - I hope the knee really is healed.  Maybe the patella was slightly off track?

SO42 - I agree, it is amazing when you realize how far you've come, from being a complete non-runner to someone who finds 30, 45 or 60 minutes an easy run.

Bin - glad you were able to get the car fixed and that your run this morning went well.

Jack - you'll do fine, despite the hills.  Just remember, everyone else has to do the same hill.

Tomas - enjoy your taper.

Vance - I'm glad your cold is better.  I've been trying to avoid nsaids since I started running, after reading about the effects on healing.  They're a standard for long distance hikers (vitamin I) so it was news to me that I'd been doing the wrong thing all those years.  That said, yesterday my back was killing me after my race, so I took a couple and a hot bath and was fine afterwards, so they do have their place.

Awood - soon enough you'll be missing the cool temperatures.

Kristi - an easy walk really does help stretch out the sore muscles.

Scotty - you earned your rest day, after the more than usually difficult weekend activity.

Jerry - any idea what's going on with the ankle?  Shoes?

Dave - we have a Run for Boston this evening too.  Only about 1.5 miles though, since they are hoping to bring in a lot of folks who aren't runners, who will attend with dogs and kids, etc.  and buy the t-shirt and donate to the One Fund.

AFM:  time to finally do something about the lawn.  We had an inch of rain last week and the grass and weeds have grown overnight.  I didn't want to mow before my race, because the grass affects my allergies pretty badly.  It's worse for my husband though, so we share the job most of the time.

SheCan

G'afternoon penguin friends!

kristiR-  great job on your HM!   Yes, it's normal to feel sore the day after your race.  Take it easy and enjoy your day off-- you so earned it after all those hills.

N-Bug might see 60 degrees today?  I so hope you do.  Everyone needs spring!

Docket-  boy with all your marathons, you tend to get back into the groove of things so quickly!  When is your next race?

HopesMom-  glad you still have a wonderful attitude, and still get out there and move!

Zelanie-- weird about that popping!  I sure hope the lack of pain means it was a good thing.

starting_over-- an "easy 5 mile run" was a big freaking deal to me, too, when I finally could do them decently  I'm glad you got to experience how pleasant the miles can be.

Coralie-- great job on the miles!  What did you think of the J.Michael's video?

I had to bring my DH to the airport first thing this morning.  He's headed to Scottieville, TX Wink so I didn't get my run in, and I'm rather enjoying it fine.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Hey pens!

Just checking in! I had a great first day as an RN!! Today, I just shadowed today since I was already employed with UPMC (Univ. of Pittsburgh Medical Center) so I join the "classroom" orientation tomorrow until next Tuesday when I am back on the floor! I can't wait!!

Tomorrow I have orientation 8-430 then I am planning on running the 5 mile loop at north park! North park is a gorgeous park that is right over the hill from where I now work, and it luckily, right on my way home! The loop circles around a lake! and they have 2 pedestrian lanes marked off beside the roadway for runners/walkers/bikers, etc!

Hope you all had a great day.

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on first day Tori.  You will do great.

Hey pens!

Just checking in! I had a great first day as an RN!! Today, I just shadowed today since I was already employed with UPMC (Univ. of Pittsburgh Medical Center) so I join the "classroom" orientation tomorrow until next Tuesday when I am back on the floor! I can't wait!!

Tomorrow I have orientation 8-430 then I am planning on running the 5 mile loop at north park! North park is a gorgeous park that is right over the hill from where I now work, and it luckily, right on my way home! The loop circles around a lake! and they have 2 pedestrian lanes marked off beside the roadway for runners/walkers/bikers, etc!

Hope you all had a great day.

tracilynn

My doctor put me on NSAIDS (mobic) for my ITB and peroneal tendonitis.  So, its bad, huh?  I havent taken it in weeks but it really helped with my pain.  Hmmm.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This weekend I have a 5K but next weekend I have a marathon.

G'afternoon penguin friends!

kristiR-  great job on your HM!   Yes, it's normal to feel sore the day after your race.  Take it easy and enjoy your day off-- you so earned it after all those hills.

N-Bug might see 60 degrees today?  I so hope you do.  Everyone needs spring!

Docket-  boy with all your marathons, you tend to get back into the groove of things so quickly!  When is your next race?

HopesMom-  glad you still have a wonderful attitude, and still get out there and move!

Zelanie-- weird about that popping!  I sure hope the lack of pain means it was a good thing.

starting_over-- an "easy 5 mile run" was a big freaking deal to me, too, when I finally could do them decently  I'm glad you got to experience how pleasant the miles can be.

Coralie-- great job on the miles!  What did you think of the J.Michael's video?

I had to bring my DH to the airport first thing this morning.  He's headed to Scottieville, TX Wink so I didn't get my run in, and I'm rather enjoying it fine.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

traci, are you getting any PT for the ITB?  Also consider checking whether different kind of shoes might help.

Tori, woot to the first day!

Damaris