Beginners and Beyond

Lucky Dailies #13 (Read 21 times)

DavePNW

DavePNW, yea, it's BS. I'm sure Peacock is going to be used for lots of Olympic sports. Cool, instead of getting more people to watch, get fewer, good idea.

All those Thursday night games were on Amazon Prime, but they have 180 million subscribers. Peacock has 30 mil (including Baboon of course). I’ll be curious to see the viewership numbers afterwards. Fortunately the people in the KC & Miami markets will be able to watch on NBC.

They used Peacock for supplemental Olympic coverage last time, but the marquee events were on NBC. Hopefully that’ll still be the case?

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

They used Peacock for supplemental Olympic coverage last time, but the marquee events were on NBC. Hopefully that’ll still be the case?

Where I think the Peacock coverage comes in is pre-Olympics. I follow gymnastics. For the national champiosnhips, the first night of competition was on Peacock, 2nd on NBC. I suspect they will continue with this type of split. For the Olympics, after 2008 (I think), basically every routine got posted to the NBC Olympics site and I would just watch that on a delay. NBC's coverage sucks when compared to the world coverage. At the last world championships, a website "forgot" to geoblock the US and I watched their live feed. It was so much better than anything NBC has done. They could also take notes from ESPN. Somehow they can show every routine of a college meet.

I'd also guess track and field will see this type of split. The less marque events on Peacock for trials and then the marque on NBC.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

NBC's problem with the olympics is they seem to think we want to spend more time seeing back stories and watching announcers chit chat than actually watching sports.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Greta's Run 5k, 5/19; Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12

Baboon

delicate flower

All those Thursday night games were on Amazon Prime, but they have 180 million subscribers. Peacock has 30 mil (including Baboon of course). I’ll be curious to see the viewership numbers afterwards. Fortunately the people in the KC & Miami markets will be able to watch on NBC.

The game on Peacock is free.  You just need to load the app, and of course create an account.

I watched a ton of the Olympic events on Peacock.  Of course for marquee events that are on primetime (including tape delayed), those wouldn't be available on Peacock until after NBC aired them at night.

ETA:  I stand corrected.  You need a Peacock paid subscription to watch the game.  Kind of bullshit if you ask me.  Wife pays for this, so not an issue for me tonight.

<3

sdWhiskers

We're not paying for another streaming service. We already pay for NBC. F them. We'll check the score online or whatever. The way to put a stop to this madness is for no one to add Peacock for this. I hope their feed is super laggy or crashes the app.

DavePNW

NBC's problem with the olympics is they seem to think we want to spend more time seeing back stories and watching announcers chit chat than actually watching sports.

Yeah the melodramatic, soft-focus, inspirational backstories are pretty annoying, but that’s always been the case, and presumably how they suck in non-sports fans. 

They’re also so overly US-focused. For the last 30 years, I’ve lived close enough to the Canadian border that I’ve been able to get CBC. So that’s always a good been an option for alternate coverage to watch anything not involving the US.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Or watch Simone Biles get her ankles taped. You have 4 events you could show, and this is the best you can do?!

DavePNW

The game on Peacock is free.  You just need to load the app, and of course create an account.

ETA:  I stand corrected.  You need a Peacock paid subscription to watch the game.  Kind of bullshit if you ask me.  Wife pays for this, so not an issue for me tonight.

Yeah it’s basically a $5.99 pay-per-view. Apparently they used to have a free trial, but of course they’ve now pulled that. I certainly piss away 6 bucks on stupider shit than this, but you know, principle.

Holy shit, Flacco. 

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Joe Flacco.  Bruh.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I watched a ton of the Olympic events on Peacock.  Of course for marquee events that are on primetime (including tape delayed), those wouldn't be available on Peacock until after NBC aired them at night.

Yeah, and now Xfinity and AT&T no longer have Peacock Premium free like they used to.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah the melodramatic, soft-focus, inspirational backstories are pretty annoying, but that’s always been the case, and presumably how they suck in non-sports fans. 

They’re also so overly US-focused. For the last 30 years, I’ve lived close enough to the Canadian border that I’ve been able to get CBC. So that’s always a good been an option for alternate coverage to watch anything not involving the US.

I hate that. They used to show all the gymnasts from other countries (at least the top 5), but not anymore.

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

They’re also so overly US-focused. 

So true. If there isn't an American contending, then the sport might as well not exist.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I hate that. They used to show all the gymnasts from other countries (at least the top 5), but not anymore.

They had no choicce in 2021 but to show the Russians. I know NBC was less than thrilled about that. They also had to show more variety in the all around since it came down to the final rotation. I just don't get it. ESPN can show every single college routine in a dual meet and I think they did split screens to show as much as possible from a quad meet today. Yet NBC is in the dark ages of here are the top US athletes and no one else exists.

DavePNW

On the plus side of the Peacock bullshit—at least I’m spared from watching the cameras cut to Taylor Swift every two minutes.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

On the plus side of the Peacock bullshit—at least I’m spared from watching the cameras cut to Taylor Swift every two minutes.

Always a sliver lining. :-)