Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins...let's go! (Read 24 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm getting ready to head out for my run.  Daniels seems to think this weekend's LR should be a little bit shorter, and full of tempo pace.  I'm sure by the end, I'll feel like this guy:

Thanks for that one Scotty.  Seriously though, I told P3 that we'd get some ice cream tonight.  I'm already ahead of schedule for meeting my August weight loss goal, and it's Saturday.  That's right.  I'm going to be down another 5 pounds by the end of this month.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  7 miles tonight.

Awood, enjoy your run.

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy National Mustard Day !!!!

Got my three miles in this morning. I left an hour later than usual so I actually saw the sun! Cool

Yesterday was supposed to be a rest day. I suppose it was, since I did not get up at 5am for a workout. But I was up at 2am for work, and then spent the better part of the day at medical appointments for my kids, and then went to work from 4pm-10pm. And I brought work home for the weekend. Ugh! Yesterday did not FEEL like a rest day.

But then this morning I got to run in the sun, and it was glorious. Somehow that just makes everything ok.

Happy weekend everyone!!

tracilynn

Awood,  great job on the weight loss. How much more do you want to lose? enjoy your ice cream later.

damaris, enjoy your 7  When is your next race/ marathon?

jerry happy mustard day to you too.

I skipped my run this morning due to a migraine. Which was hard to do because I have MORE NEW SHOES.  I had to buy them because they are crazy colors and only $39.95 For kinvara. Great price. Got lucky.

Waiting for my meds to kick in and going on a 4 hr kayak trip with several of our neighbors in a couple of hours.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Hey mnmickey! Your rest day sounds like hell. Ha

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Traci, next race is Chicago.  Sorry about the migraine.

Jerry, happy mustard what?  I hate mustard!

Mickey, nice 3.

I got my Sayonaras this week.  I ran in them on Monday.

Damaris

Traci - it bad, for sure. But I'll take a bad day like that in lieu of a migraine any day!! I hope you feel better quickly!

hog4life

Hiya everyone! I did a 10 mile LR this morning. We had a group of 12 people, it was so awesome. I've already had my oatmeal and coffee, and now icing my foot.

Bin Running

Damaris, your legs look long.

17M done. Woke up too late and finished my run just before 10. Scorching sun.  Took my 3hrs exactly.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Docket - I did enjoy my run.  Thank you!  Enjoy your 7.

Jerry - Mustard day?  I guess that beats ketchup or catsup day.  I'll take mustard over either of those variations of tomato condiment.

Mickey - It sounds like you need a vacation, but for now a run in the sun will have to do the trick.

Traci - Can I go kayaking too?  I love kayaking, and I don't get to do it as much as I used to.  I saw the new shoes.  I think if you tried to use a camera from the 80's, you wouldn't be able to get a clear picture of someone running in those.  You'd have giant blurs.  They're pretty awesome though.  As for my weight loss, I'm hoping to get down to 200 by November 2nd.  It's not because it's a nice round number, but because I think the 5 pounds per month is about as aggressive as I should get with weight loss while training this hard.  Too much of a calorie deficit might result in overtraining.  My long term goal will be based on how I feel at that weight.  Right now, I'm feeling great.

Docket - I think it's time for your shoe intervention.  This has gotten completely out of hand.  Seriously.  We're doing this because we care.

Mitch - 10 miles?  I thought you were still resting the foot.  I bet a 12 person group run would be fun though.

Bin - Nice job.  Are you tacking on a mile per week?

AFM - I did my scheduled run, and it was really tempting to just add on another 1.1 miles.  I could have beat my HM PR, even though all but 24 minutes were done at easy pace.  I had two 12 minute tempo bouts at 7:40 per mile.  The rest of the run was just nice and easy, and still ended with 12 miles in 1hr 46min.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

Awood, I surprised myself with the 10. I have been taking more RD's, and trying to come back easy. I "tried" a heating pad last week, and my foot is really starting to feel better. I'm not sure why the heat helps, but I will keep doing it. I'm a little concerned though about the distance of my LR's moving forward. I don't want the distance to be too much of my overall weekly mileage. Hopefully I'll be able to start increasing the number of days per week I run.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

My guess, and this is purely a guess, is that icing helps with inflammation, but also leaves the muscles tight.  The heat stimulates additional blood flow, while relaxing the muscle.  When I have some type of injury I tend to alternate the two.  That's what they used to do when I'd go to the training room in college, and it usually worked.  Treat it as frequently as possible, and hopefully you'll be back to your regular routine in no time.

Awood, I surprised myself with the 10. I have been taking more RD's, and trying to come back easy. I "tried" a heating pad last week, and my foot is really starting to feel better. I'm not sure why the heat helps, but I will keep doing it. I'm a little concerned though about the distance of my LR's moving forward. I don't want the distance to be too much of my overall weekly mileage. Hopefully I'll be able to start increasing the number of days per week I run.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

From the Internet.

Afternoon pens! Spent the morning cleaning the apartment, relaxing for a bit and then 3-4 miles whenever I feel like standing up again. My calf feels totally back to normal, still planning to do most of today's run on the track just to be safe.

D - ooh how did you like the Sayonaras?