Beginners and Beyond

Planning vacations around races (Read 108 times)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I'm a bigger nerd because I loved the book and had it signed by the author, plus Alberto Salazar/Dick Beardley. When Alberto came out with his book (all 3 signed that also) last year I went to see him speak on it at the Boston Expo last year, and they were there also. RWOL had the interview on their web site also which may still be around somewhere. Alberto was the first elite that I followed.

Very cool! I actually ran the Dick Beardsley HM last year in Detroit Lakes, MN. I didn't really know much about running. I think Kara G. was the guest speaker the day beforehand, but she had to take off before the race started the following day, so I never got to see her in person.

Getting back to the book, it would be really cool to get Dick to sign a copy. He's going to be at the finish line at Grandma's in Duluth, MN in June. Maybe I could buy a book and ask him to sign since I'll be running that Half as well. I'm just getting in to the running lore, so I'm excited to finish the book.

- Andrew

Just B.S.

I have no problem admitting I am a running nerd.  Everyone on our group trip to the Bermuda

Marathon knew I was determined to have my photo taken with Bart. They had orders to be on

on the lookout for him and let me know asap.

I got it but took bad it's such a sucky pic of me. Dont know what the hell I was doing with my 

head. Hubby is on the other side but he doesn't like his pic on the interwebs too much.Smile

happylily

Bart was the first person waiting at the finish line of the Bermuda marathon to shake my hand and congratulate me on my first place AG. I knew who he was, but I was too shy to let it show. Doesn't that make me a REAL nerd?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Mostly harmless

I have no problem admitting I am a running nerd...

Wear your running nerd badge proudly. I do.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Just B.S.

Bart was the first person waiting at the finish line of the Bermuda marathon to shake my hand and congratulate me on my first place AG. I knew who he was, but I was too shy to let it show. Doesn't that make me a REAL nerd?

No, sorry . You are a big nerd when you run across the infield of a track with your camera in hand

yelling "bart, bart, bart" Big grin.  The photo was taken just prior to the 10k race.

Then during the race we ran together for a few minutes.

He was walking away from the finish line of the marathon  when I was about 500 meters from

the end. He gave me a thumbs up and I am 100% sure he  remembered me.

Later that day in the hotel lobby I assured him that I was not a stalker. He did not look convinced.

RSX

Very cool! I actually ran the Dick Beardsley HM last year in Detroit Lakes, MN. I didn't really know much about running. I think Kara G. was the guest speaker the day beforehand, but she had to take off before the race started the following day, so I never got to see her in person.

Getting back to the book, it would be really cool to get Dick to sign a copy. He's going to be at the finish line at Grandma's in Duluth, MN in June. Maybe I could buy a book and ask him to sign since I'll be running that Half as well. I'm just getting in to the running lore, so I'm excited to finish the book.

I have a poster with 30+ elite signatures on it. Kara signed it last month. Anytime I hear of an opportunity I try to go. I have seen Dick twice. He is a great speaker. I found Dual at a lIbrary sale for $2 once.

happylily

No, sorry . You are a big nerd when you run across the infield of a track with your camera in hand

yelling "bart, bart, bart" Big grin.  The photo was taken just prior to the 10k race.

He was walking away from the finish line of the marathon  when I was about 500 meters from

Later that day in the hotel lobby I assured him that I was not a stalker. He did not look convinced.

I'm sure he loved it, Beth. He's paid to be there, that's his job, and he must be flattered to be recognized like that. He was probably offended that I didn't say anything to him. That, or he didn't give a crap. Probably the latter. Big grin

Just B.S.

I'm sure he loved it, Beth. He's paid to be there, that's his job, and he must be flattered to be recognized like that. He was probably offended that I didn't say anything to him. That, or he didn't give a crap. Probably the latter. Big grin

I think I was more excited about running into this guy by accident a few days after the marathon.

You might not recognize him if you are not the Amazing Race super fan that I am.  He was very

gracious and held the pose while I took his pic.

RSX

That's funny and nice picture. I sat with Roger Bowerman (RT writer and husband of Switzer). I asked if he was Bart and he brought him over to meet me which was cool.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I live local enough to the RW headquarters so it's not unusual for me to spot Bart out and about (I even live in his city). I always say hi to him - he's a class act and a super nice guy.

At a Boston tribute run a few weeks ago held by the LRS, I thought I saw Amby Burfoot. I asked the owner of the LRS "Is that Amby?" and he said "Yep!" so I went over and said hi to him like we were old friends. Then I introduced my friend to him and he thought I was the bee's knees. He was telling everyone "April introduced ME to Amby Burfoot!" LOL.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

i love AM and Phil!!!

I think I was more excited about running into this guy by accident a few days after the marathon.

You might not recognize him if you are not the Amazing Race super fan that I am.  He was very

gracious and held the pose while I took his pic.

Damaris

happylily

i love AM and Phil!!!

I have no idea who they are. I am so retarded...I spend too much time here, obviously. I should do something more worthwhile, like watch The Amazing Race. Big grin

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I meant to write AR for Amazing race, doh, but if you don't know Beth photographed Phil you are not a true fan!!!!Joking

Damaris

happylily

I meant to write AR for Amazing race, doh, but if you don't know Beth photographed Phil you are not a true fan!!!!Joking

I knew you were talking about the Amazing Race, I just thought that AM was maybe the girlfriend of Phil, or something like that. No, I'm not a fan. Not a fan of any reality type shows, in fact. Big grin

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Although it is, I don't consider this a reality show but more of a televised competition.  Something we would love to do one day.  Except we would be like Jonathan and Victoria, for those that remember.  The couple that wouldn't stop fighting.  Except we would be cursing each other in Spanish.

I knew you were talking about the Amazing Race, I just thought that AM was maybe the girlfriend of Phil, or something like that. No, I'm not a fan. Not a fan of any reality type shows, in fact. Big grin

Damaris