Beginners and Beyond

18 things they never told you about running (Read 190 times)

Buelligan

I've seen lots of nasty people peeing in public, but never a runner.   Not saying it won't happen, just saying.

#artbydmcbride

Things they never told you about running:

1. You WILL get an injury.  It will suddenly appear, it will fill your world with angst and misery, and it will suddenly go away.

2. You can't actually eat whatever you want and as much as you want.  Only non-runners believe that.

3.  A stupid pot-metal award on a cheap ribbon will thrill you for half a day.  Blush

4. Breaking some arbitrary personally set goal (30 minute 5k, 20 minute 5k, 2 hour half) will make you grin to yourself at all odd hours and walk like you are two inches taller.  Cool

Runners run

Also  in the evening, you will layout your running clothes before you lay out your work clothes for the next morning.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

RSX

Jocks aren't fashion statements. Guys will be sorry later if they don't make a few purchases.

While you are smiling because you want a decent finish line photo, some little kid(s) will pass you much to your spouse's amusement.

If you are trying to beat a little kid at the finish line, don't have this look of horror trying to catch up. That kid will be smiling and you won't in the pictures. (happened to a friend of mine a few times same kid)

LRB

17. The friends you make through running will become like family.

True dat.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

1. You WILL get an injury.  It will suddenly appear, it will fill your world with angst and misery, and it will suddenly go away.

2. You can't actually eat whatever you want and as much as you want.  Only non-runners believe that.

3.  A stupid pot-metal award on a cheap ribbon will thrill you for half a day.  Blush

4. Breaking some arbitrary personally set goal (30 minute 5k, 20 minute 5k, 2 hour half) will make you grin to yourself at all odd hours and walk like you are two inches taller.  Cool

How true!!! Big grin

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Jocks aren't fashion statements. Guys will be sorry later if they don't make a few purchases.

While you are smiling because you want a decent finish line photo, some little kid(s) will pass you much to your spouse's amusement.

If you are trying to beat a little kid at the finish line, don't have this look of horror trying to catch up. That kid will be smiling and you won't in the pictures. (happened to a friend of mine a few times same kid)

That's true, one race this year I totally booted it past this kid - he's enjoying himself and happily skipping along, I'm looking like I hate life!!

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

#artbydmcbride

Big grin  great photo!

Runners run

Buelligan

These are so true!  When I medal at a race though, I wake up with smile on my face for a whole week.

Buelligan

That's true, one race this year I totally booted it past this kid - he's enjoying himself and happily skipping along, I'm looking like I hate life!!

Way to rock the short shorts!  I'm old school in this regard too.  It freaks some of the younger people out when I go running in short shorts and no shirt, though.  They think I'm running in underwear.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Way to rock the short shorts!  I'm old school in this regard too.  It freaks some of the younger people out when I go running in short shorts and no shirt, though.  They think I'm running in underwear.

1"-3" splits are about all I go with in the summer, and they're definitely all I race in.  I never in a million years thought I'd be the guy out there running in those things, but they're the only way to go.

Hipfan...at least it looks like the kid was running a different (presumably shorter) race

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

DavePNW

These are good.

In #4 I would also include arbitrary personally set training milestones, e.g. weekly/monthly mileage, paces, streaks, etc.

And you will want to tell everyone, even those who have no idea what it means.

Dave

GC100k

25 years of running and it hasn't happened yet.  If the first part is true, hopefully the second part is also.

LRB

I never in a million years thought I'd be the guy out there running in those things, but they're the only way to go.

I am fighting going down that street with every fiber of my being!

I have a 5" pair of split seams and it is crazy how much leg they show.  1 inchers would probably show so much cheekage, that I would have to run with a bodyguard lol!

bobruns

Great list!  I laughed loud...at work...in a very quiet room...now everyone knows I am not doing what I am supposed to be doing...Roll eyes