Beginners and Beyond

Dumber Race Question (Read 86 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don't know how rigorously the rule is enforced, but some races specify that your bib and number must be visible at all times or you are subject to disqualification.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

AFAIK it's most important that your bib be visible when you cross the start and the finish... if the photographer can't see it, that's your loss.  Less work for them because no tagging involved!  (Pardon me, I'm a bit bitter about yet another race in which I apparently wore an invisibility cloak.)

I know how you feel, and my bib # is ALWAYS in plain sight but I am lucky if I can find 2 pics of me while finding dozens of others...lucky bastards  

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

I don't know how rigorously the rule is enforced, but some races specify that your bib and number must be visible at all times or you are subject to disqualification.

Yes.  Even if it's not a requirement, I'd make sure it's visible at all timing mats as well as the start and finish.  If the chip doesn't register, there very well may be video/photo/spotter backup plans in place to help discourage monkey business.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

You may be denied water at a water stop if the water station is manned by someone like my water partner this weekend if your number isn't visible.

I was volunteering at a half and it was pouring rain and 50 degrees with a "feels like" of 43 at the start, and the course was a series of out and backs and you go near the start/finish 2 times during the race. The first time the runners passed our water station, it appeared that several people had on an extra layer on with their bibs pinned underneath it, which they would probably shed and throw it down near the start/finish line the first time they come back near the start after they've warmed up a bit. ANYHOO, the guy at the water station with me REFUSED to give water to anyone without a visible bib and screamed at me if I tried to do so. Whatever. *rolls eyes*

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

To echo what George said, some races will pull you off the course if the bib isn't visible at all times while on the course.  Obviously, you can have it covered in the starting corral.  Hence, one more reason I like pinning my bib to my running shorts.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

AFAIK it's most important that your bib be visible when you cross the start and the finish... if the photographer can't see it, that's your loss.  Less work for them because no tagging involved!  (Pardon me, I'm a bit bitter about yet another race in which I apparently wore an invisibility cloak.)

Actually, it may create more work, since the Unknown Runners need to be identified. Tomb of the Unknown Runner .  Nice way for bandits to get called out. Part of what happened is that the bib material couldn't stand up to the rain for some people. The chips were on the back. We were told to wear them on front of chest, although many wore them on front of one leg of pants, being sure they were visible below shells. Most people knew they'd be unzipping shells or peeling.

My entire age group (all 3 of us) were missed in the early results, even though some slower runners were recorded fine.

<sigh> unknown runners got their pictures first. (not sure why the finish line pictures of others haven't been posted yet, although there's someone who was on various parts of course and is posting lots of pictures, just not of tail of pack.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Ritz at Mile 1, above (houston marathon 2012)

Ritz at Mile 9, same race.

He cut a hole in his throwaway top (in the front and back) so the bib which was attached to his singlet, would show, per the rules of this race.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                RSX

My 3rd marathon I ended up wearing a throwaway shirt the whole time with my # hidden. It was obviously meant to be discarded. At the first photo point I lifted up my shirt, and a guy said don't worry we will match you up which they did. I rarely buy pictures anyway so it wasn't a priority. The only downside was that in this race of 1,200 finishers I didn't hear my name announced as I crossed. I did lift my shirt up after finishing to get the medal so was good that way

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Looking at the forecast, I might not even need the extra layer... lol

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

Much of this is dependent on both the race's rules and your expectations.

If the race requires visibility, they're probably going to give specific instructions...  If you don't follow the instructions, then it's on you if you don't get pics, timed, and/or DQ'd.

For the photography...  That's on you as well.  If there's a photographer, and you want your picture taken, it's makes life 1,000x's easier on them if they see the number.

For the timing...  Yes, it should read through a layer or two.  However, you're already fighting a percentage game on getting read (albeit a very high percentage success), so why add additional room for error?  Just plan out your bib placement so that it's both in plain sight on base layer, and easily accessed when wearing outer layers.  Lower on the front allows for a quick lift of the layer and you've added some reassurance.

Something witty

happylily

If the race requires visibility, they're probably going to give specific instructions...  If you don't follow the instructions, then it's on you if you don't get pics, timed, and/or DQ'd.

For the photography...  That's on you as well.  If there's a photographer, and you want your picture taken, it's makes life 1,000x's easier on them if they see the number.

For the timing...  Yes, it should read through a layer or two.  However, you're already fighting a percentage game on getting read (albeit a very high percentage success), so why add additional room for error?  Just plan out your bib placement so that it's both in plain sight on base layer, and easily accessed when wearing outer layers.  Lower on the front allows for a quick lift of the layer and you've added some reassurance.

Hey you! Welcome back!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

pull a Ritz ...

hell around these parts we have a ton of 'wear the bib on the back' people...  that complain about lack of photos.  "They never take photos of me"

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I just might have found a use for the XS (got there late) zip up volunteer jacket from Chicago. Won't have to go to the Salvation Army store afterall.

Love the Half

Well hell's bells.  Look what some varmit drug in.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hey you! Welcome back!

I know right, I am just now going through this and thought WTF when I scrolled through and saw his avatar. I figured he felt he was too good for us.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)