Beginners and Beyond

One less MonDAILIES (Read 36 times)

onemile

Yeah if it's 29 degrees at the start you could expect it to warm up and once it does it warms up rapidly.

I would wear what One has planned to wear with an extra pair of gloves to toss after my hands warm up, but obviously you two know yourselves.

I took about 18 combinations of clothing options with me (no shit) and decided on what I was going to wear once I stepped outside.

The hourly forecast on weather.gov shows 29 degrees at 8am, warming up to 36 degrees by 11am.

DavePNW

The hourly forecast on weather.gov shows 29 degrees at 8am, warming up to 36 degrees by 11am.

What does it say about wind? I usually dress for the windchill rather than temp. Of course the sun is a factor too....

Dave

onemile

What does it say about wind? I usually dress for the windchill rather than temp. Of course the sun is a factor too....

6mph wind, wind chill temps are 23-31 degrees.  And sunny.

LRB

Sunny is the key, I think you have it nailed with what you are planning, but of course take plenty of options just in case.

The stars are aligning for perfect marathon weather in Indy, that is huge!

Dave I could not have been happier with my gear selection and our conditions.  My singlet was wet but I didn't know it until I stopped running and felt that first chill while walking to my car.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sunny is the key, I think you have it nailed with what you are planning, but of course take plenty of options just in case.

The stars are aligning for perfect marathon weather in Indy, that is huge!

Dave I could not have been happier with my gear selection and our conditions.  My singlet was wet but I didn't know it until I stopped running and felt that first chill while walking to my car.

As far as sunny goes lol, once in the sun it warms up immediately but again the start is completely shaded and freezing. I will bring everything I think I need just in case

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

Sounds like a good day anyway - as long as you are avoiding (1) excessive heat and (2) cold rain, all you have to think about is running your race.

Dave I could not have been happier with my gear selection and our conditions.  My singlet was wet but I didn't know it until I stopped running and felt that first chill while walking shuffling ever so slowly to my car.

+1 with a slight change for me.

Drive home was OK, but then actually the worst part of all was the 20-ft walk from my car to my front door. My legs had stiffened up that much more, and going back out in the chill after warming up (I did not bother to change my shirt), I must've looked like a wreck to my family when I walked in. On the plus side, I discovered looking miserable gets you waited on.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sounds like a good day anyway - as long as you are avoiding (1) excessive heat and (2) cold rain, all you have to think about is running your race.

+1 with a slight change for me.

Drive home was OK, but then actually the worst part of all was the 20-ft walk from my car to my front door. My legs had stiffened up that much more, and going back out in the chill after warming up (I did not bother to change my shirt), I must've looked like a wreck to my family when I walked in. On the plus side, I discovered looking miserable gets you waited on.

Yes, I wonder how long I can wait before I absolutely have to get to the start.....

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well, it says high of 48 low of 29 (on 14wfie), which usually means the low is at night while the high is around noon or 2 PM. I won't know exactly what the temp will be at 7 and 8 AM that day until Thursday and Friday when you can look up the hourly forecast.

weather.gov has the hourly forecast for the weekend already.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Contrary to NY, that sounds nice.  The wind chill tells the tale of how cold it will really feel.

Damaris

happylily

How windy can it really feel in NY if we're running in a mass of people, in between buildings? Is it really that bad?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Weather.gov.... I'll have to remember that, last year was just beyond perfect - sunny and like 43 degrees, it was really chilly at the start and in the shade of the buildings and I was really happy with my under armor thermal long sleeve thingy but then once we got out in the sun I was wishing I could take it off.

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

How windy can it really feel in NY if we're running in a mass of people, in between buildings? Is it really that bad?

It was windy, especially on the bridges.  It was not this windy in 2011 but in 2011 it was in the 50s, nothing too cold.  weather.gov says the windchill is 29F at your start, 44F at my finish after 3pm.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Weather.gov.... I'll have to remember that, last year was just beyond perfect - sunny and like 43 degrees, it was really chilly at the start and in the shade of the buildings and I was really happy with my under armor thermal long sleeve thingy but then once we got out in the sun I was wishing I could take it off.

If I wear thermal on anything higher than 10F I would be sweating like a pig and overheating.  And I am from the Tropics!

Damaris

onemile

Last year I wore a short sleeve shirt with arm warmers and dropped the arm warmers a few miles in.  It felt warmer than I was expecting it to and was wishing I had worn a tank top instead.

B-Plus

You people are going to break the internet.