Beginners and Beyond

Time for TuesDAILIES (Read 45 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Damn it people, I had to read a bunch of RR about marathons and now am likely going back on one & done.  So, my plan for the half on 11/25 calls for some long runs longer than what I ran for last year's full (ok, 16-18 miles, I will likely go with the lesser of that). There is a full on 2/18 that seems interesting near where I grew up. It's also not at the butt crack of dawn, so the 1 hour drive seems less annoying. So is going from a goal half in late November, recovering for a week or so, then starting a "plan" for a full reasonable? I think it's about 11 weeks, which is about 5 more than I trained for my one & only. Oh, the modest goal is under 5 hours.

The downside is winter. I could easily be donating the race fee to charity. It's $50 until the end of the year....tempting, right?

KCRuns

Damn it people, I had to read a bunch of RR about marathons and now am likely going back on one & done.  So, my plan for the half on 11/25 calls for some long runs longer than what I ran for last year's full (ok, 16-18 miles, I will likely go with the lesser of that). There is a full on 2/18 that seems interesting near where I grew up. It's also not at the butt crack of dawn, so the 1 hour drive seems less annoying. So is going from a goal half in late November, recovering for a week or so, then starting a "plan" for a full reasonable? I think it's about 11 weeks, which is about 5 more than I trained for my one & only. Oh, the modest goal is under 5 hours.

The downside is winter. I could easily be donating the race fee to charity. It's $50 until the end of the year....tempting, right?

I think the timing sounds perfect.  You can use the time from your Half to set your paces for marathon training. And since you've already built up your long runs during Half training, you should have a good foundation to jump into the marathon plan.  I usually sign up for a January or February race to help me stay consistent over the holidays and then I have no excuses when it's cold. If I pay money to do it, I'll be at the starting line.

Baboon

delicate flower

But also, if you're Rupp, you can probably do race pace in your sleep. I'm sure with all the mileage & specific training he puts in, his body just knows what speed to go.

Probably some truth to that but I also don't see a lot of other elites sans watch...not that I have really gone through a ton of photos to look.  I just found it impressive and a little nuts that he can win a marathon on feel.  I can't even pace a 5K properly with a watch.

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

I need to do some googling on the subject, now I am curious. But I remember reading an article about some of the non-elites who managed to qualify for the US Olympic Trials, just based on time. Some were saying what their "favorite workout" was. One guy said he likes to do a 30x400m workout. JHC.

I tried to find some info on Usain Bolt's training program just to see what the fastest human ever does for training.  Not a lot of info out there, other than some canned workouts he put together for everyday slobs like us.  Seems that the elites like to keep a tight lid on specifics, which I can understand.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

I think the timing sounds perfect.  You can use the time from your Half to set your paces for marathon training. And since you've already built up your long runs during Half training, you should have a good foundation to jump into the marathon plan.  I usually sign up for a January or February race to help me stay consistent over the holidays and then I have no excuses when it's cold. If I pay money to do it, I'll be at the starting line.

I'm lower mileage, so I don't think there will be a lot to gauge from my half time to my full time. I'm hoping the half will be under 2:05.

DavePNW

So is going from a goal half in late November, recovering for a week or so, then starting a "plan" for a full reasonable? I think it's about 11 weeks

Yes. Now sign up.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I like 10 week plans so it sounds perfect.

Damaris

Probably some truth to that but I also don't see a lot of other elites sans watch...not that I have really gone through a ton of photos to look.  I just found it impressive and a little nuts that he can win a marathon on feel.  I can't even pace a 5K properly with a watch.

That means you're doing it correctly Wink

oldfartrunner

Got my last workout in before the race this Sat!  Legs were a little tired so I shortened it by a 400, and dumbed it down.

4.5 up 2X800@ 3:12-10/400JR, 3X 400 @ 1:37-33/200JR, 3 DN= 10ish.

About the Elites, a great book that shows you how the former pros trained is, "The Lore of Running" by Noakes.

https://www.amazon.com/Lore-Running-4th-Timothy-Noakes/dp/0873229592

This is like the "Bible" of all things running. Slightly outdated in parts, but an excellent read, and I based a lot of my training on what I've read in there.

Elites aren't doing nothing any different that back in the 80s, I mean Salazar is coaching Rupp, but Rupp is a much better and faster runner than he was. He just needs to let it out. The no watch is what racers do. When you want to win a race, you stay up with the field and rely on your conditioning to win the race with tactics the last 1/4 or so, like surges off race pace until your competitors can't respond. Or you do a sneak job and go out so fast they won't go with you, and you hope you can hold on.

Frank Shorter who won the Gold and silver in the marathon, use to say, 20 miles or two hours, whatever comes first. He would run easy out, 10 miles @ goal MP back, every week. He would also do 2 other Q days-long intervals, and short, and of course he ran 10k easy, 6 days a week in the morning, and at least 10k as a second. Plus he might do a race on Sat. So the Q is there, and the volume. They just don't wear their selves out in one workout usually, but spread it out, getting 3-6 miles in a session, and maybe a longer hilly sustained medium distance effort, if they run their LR easy.

The basics of all Elite training, is V02 Max, LR, and Tempo type work, as should be ours too-just in lower doses for our mileage base. They get 100 miles in like most runners would get 50-80 mpw, in terms of time spent training, cause many average like 10 MPH.

Cyberic

Extended my commute back to 5, for a total of 10 miles for the day.

oldfartrunner

I like 10 week plans so it sounds perfect.

I agree, esp. coming off a nice Half plan, there will be less redundancy and more forward motion.

oldfartrunner

Hi OFR thank you for your suggestions!!!

• Regarding 12ers - that is really close to the 13 to complete the half. Daniels always tries to somehow avoid injuries and gives the advice of max 30% of weekly mileage on the long runs if you total less than 30mpw. Anyways I will do 11.5 which is a loop around a lake at RP plus 15 seconds per mile next Sunday. I will report back. I run this fast because I do my weekly long runs with a friend who's heck of a triathelete. Somehow I get carried a way when I run with him.
                          • Actually I have another quality session on Friday were Jack D. suggests something like 10min Easy 2×10min Threshold pace with 1min jog 20min easy followed by 2×10 min threshold which is roughly 20 sec per mile faster than goal pace for the half. Lets see how that goes. I will do an ice bath at home to recover.
                          • I do 100 different squats every other day along with 100 lunges and calf exercises plus planks and side leg lifts to prevent the IT band to flare up again. I will continue though and see how it goes until race day.

Thank you - I really appreciate your help!!!

Good luck!  That's one way to make you faster LoL!

Half Crazy K 2.0

7.5 with 3 x 1 mile at tempo-ish pace. Supposed to do 30 minutes at tempo, but with the high humidity, I know there is no way I can handle that.

oldfartrunner

7.5 with 3 x 1 mile at tempo-ish pace. Supposed to do 30 minutes at tempo, but with the high humidity, I know there is no way I can handle that.

Nice work!  And nice job listening to your body. Easy to say, hard to do.

oldfartrunner

Extended my commute back to 5, for a total of 10 miles for the day.

Nice job CY!