Beginners and Beyond

Tumultuary Tuesday Penguins (Read 31 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Scotty - congratulations on the 45,000.  Good luck getting home safely tonight.

Damaris - have a good run this evening.  When does your husband undergo surgery?

Jimmy - I hope it's not too cold to run tonight.  Take it easy.

Z - have a good long run tonight (or is that your MLR?)

Mitch - take it slowly on the yoga.  I find certain moves helpful, and some really kill my back.  I need to do more so that doesn't happen, I guess.

Bin - good job on the 6.

Jack - I'm sorry about the PF. It's a bear to kick.  Hopefully the lighter schedule will keep it in check.

SO42 - nice that the strap is helping.  I hope you get to finish your race without too much trouble.  Are the stretches helping at all?  Have you tried massage?

AFM:  RD here after 6 on the TM yesterday.  Between the icy wind and the snow covered road edges, I wimped out on an outdoor run yesterday.  But at least the forecast has changed for the coming week and we're finally going to get above freezing by the weekend.

Fortunately, nodules like this only require checkups every 6 months.  If it gets to a size that needs a biopsy, that is where it all start.

She Can, hope your shoulder gets better soon.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, crazy busy fly-by.  Too much working going on here today!!  Knee aches, it's fussing at me and I'm cussing at it.  I will win.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Damaris, now hubby has to have surgery? I missed it, sorry, hope all is okay.

Cherie, the Yoga will be in my living room just by reading and looking at the pictures to start some sort of routine. I told myself at the beginning of the year that I would do more cross train stuff.

Scotty, congrats on the 45,000 miles!

SO42, I sure hope the strap helps get you through the 16th. Last year, I forced myself to run outside in the cold during training for Mercedes. It paid off, bc the start temp was 23 last year. Maybe the temps will be better this year.

Jimmy, do it! I did one of them badass runs on the last cold snap we had, and I will run outside in the morning before work. Sorry again about last night. Next time we'll get in early.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hope your 7 miles goes well, Damaris, and that you are feeling better today.

Good luck with hills, Jimmy, especially in snow!

Thanks. Zelanie, lol.  Hope your 10 goes well tonite. Hope your DD had a nice birthday!

Good luck with the yoga, Mitch!  I don't even WANT to know how inflexible I am, lol.  Gail is starting her yoga class next week.  HOT yoga in a 105 degree room, yikes!

Jack, wcrunner will always be way ahead of me in lifetime miles.  He's a much better and more talented runner than I am and does way more weekly/monthly mileage than I do; and I believe he's been running several more years than I have, I didn't even start running until I was in my late 20s.    So damn sorry the PF flared up again!  You might try taping the foot, you can find how to do it by doing an online search, there is a method for taping the foot for PF.  I did that too when I had it and it did allow me to keep on running. Worse comes to worse, there is a surgical procedure for PF but, like any surgeries, there are risks.

Yeah, Bin, I was born in the year of the horse, way back when, lol.   Unfortunately, I didn't get race horse speed, instead I got mule-headed stubbornness, lol. Congrats on your 6!  Is the rainy season over now over there?

Glad the straps are working for you, SO42!

Sorry about the shoulder/neck hurting, Cherie!  Sounds like your DH needs to give you a massage!  Hope you feel better soon!  I don't know about suing the city, probably have to ask lawyer Damaris about that.  Those two folks that got killed..that was because of the fault of one of the drivers, from what I've heard.  They were on a 2-lane road, one guy behind the other. The guy behind got impatient, I guess, that the car in front of him was going so slow - probably just trying to be careful on the slippery roads - and the guy went into the oncoming traffic lane (idiot) to pass the slow guy.  He got past the guy all right, but then 'spun out' on the road and ended up hitting someone else - someone innocent, of course - head-on.  Sad.  Unfortunately, we have a lot of idiot drivers here in San Antonio, and they seem to get even worse during bad weather.

Enjoy your RD, Ginny, and yay for above freezing weather!

Kristin, your pool folks will let you into the pool with a blister?  Our pool folks won't let us in the water if we have an 'open wound' of any kind.  Does a blister count as an open wound?  And wouldn't the water sting like hell on that blister, since pools have chlorine in them?  Owww!

HsM, hope you win the battle with your knee!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

4 easy this morning. Went to the doc and x-rays did not show any fractures but did show a lot of wear and osteoarthritis.  Checking on getting an injection of gel (Synvisc) into the joint.

Hopefully that will help and get me through the HM in Feb. After that, I think I need to reevaluate my running, and limit it to shorter distances. These bones just ain't gonna make it.

Dad on the run.

Left work at noon because of weather. Takes me 45 min to get home been in my car now for 3 hours and sitting still. Probably be another 3 before I get home.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

SheCan

Sorry about the shoulder/neck hurting, Cherie!  Sounds like your DH needs to give you a massage!  Hope you feel better soon! ...

Scotty, you know I'm spoiled.  He gave me one last night, and if I'm still whining tonight when he gets home, he'll probably offer to do it again.  Gosh, it's like I hit the hubby-lottery sometimes...and then there's other times... j/k.

PAD-- I'm glad it wasn't a stress fracture (or that they can tell.)  Still "a lot of wear and osteoarthritis" sounds painful.  Had you had previous injury in the joint?  Is that gel shot the same as a cortisone injection?

Had a nice run, and ended up with just over 9 miles.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the 45,000 Scotty.  Almost halfway to 100,000    !!!!

6 indoor track miles w/dw after work.  Struggled a little, but got it done.  DW did not struggle, just me.

Tomorrow's plan...YaxTrax in the park.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

4 easy this morning. Went to the doc and x-rays did not show any fractures but did show a lot of wear and osteoarthritis.  Checking on getting an injection of gel (Synvisc) into the joint.

Hopefully that will help and get me through the HM in Feb. After that, I think I need to reevaluate my running, and limit it to shorter distances. These bones just ain't gonna make it.

FWIW, PAD, I had the synvisc procedure done after one of my knee surgeries.  The doc told me it would help for about a year or so, but I only have had to have it done once..and that surgery and procedure was FIVE years ago!  That is the good news, it did seem to work really well for me.  The bad news is the synvisc procedure is a SERIES of THREE injections over a 2-week period. And yes, it DOES HURT LIKE HELL!  But if you can stand it, it may do you some good.  Good luck!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

PADRunner - my husband had the synvisc shots a few years ago, a series of 5.  The first time they worked really well for about 6 months, enough that he was able to hike 2800 miles on the CDT afterwards.  The second time, a year later, the shots only worked for a couple of months. He ended up with a knee replacement. My brother had the shots in his spine and they helped for about 2 years.

Cherie - ouch on the shoulder injury, but yea for husbands who give good massages! 

D - I'm glad he doesn't have to have surgery.  Will the nodule affect his running?

HM - sorry about the knee.  Could it be the big storm system?

Jimmy - so frustrating to get stuck like that.  You'd have done better to stay at work.

Jerry - some days are diamonds and some days are dust.  Hopefully tomorrow will be a better run.

Dad on the run.

I abandoned my car walked/ran about 4 miles and hitchhiked lol. Still not home though. Stuck in another traffic jam with a complete stranger.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

I abandoned my car walked/ran about 4 miles and hitchhiked lol. Still not home though. Stuck in another traffic jam with a complete stranger.

It took me 6.5 hours from B-ham to Decatur a few years ago when that storm hit us, remember? Be safe!!

PADRunner

Cherie - No previous injury really just a history of osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, tendonitis and circulation problems. It's not like cortisone more of a synthetic cartilage. Doc called it WD40 for the joint, and he's had it done himself.

Scotty, Ginny - I think they've got it down to 1 shot now. Glad to here from people who have had it and it helps, rather not have knee surgery.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris, now hubby has to have surgery? I missed it, sorry, hope all is okay.

Cherie, the Yoga will be in my living room just by reading and looking at the pictures to start some sort of routine. I told myself at the beginning of the year that I would do more cross train stuff.

Scotty, congrats on the 45,000 miles!

SO42, I sure hope the strap helps get you through the 16th. Last year, I forced myself to run outside in the cold during training for Mercedes. It paid off, bc the start temp was 23 last year. Maybe the temps will be better this year.

Jimmy, do it! I did one of them badass runs on the last cold snap we had, and I will run outside in the morning before work. Sorry again about last night. Next time we'll get in early.

No.  He did a chest X-RAy and they found a pulmonary nodule.  These are usually benign but they can turn into lung cancer, so he had a CTScan today to confirm the size and then monitor according to what's recommended (depends on the size).

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

PADRunner - my husband had the synvisc shots a few years ago, a series of 5.  The first time they worked really well for about 6 months, enough that he was able to hike 2800 miles on the CDT afterwards.  The second time, a year later, the shots only worked for a couple of months. He ended up with a knee replacement. My brother had the shots in his spine and they helped for about 2 years.

Cherie - ouch on the shoulder injury, but yea for husbands who give good massages! 

D - I'm glad he doesn't have to have surgery.  Will the nodule affect his running?

HM - sorry about the knee.  Could it be the big storm system?

Jimmy - so frustrating to get stuck like that.  You'd have done better to stay at work.

Jerry - some days are diamonds and some days are dust.  Hopefully tomorrow will be a better run.

I don't think so because he tested 100% for breathing (the fucker!).  Hoping it stays the same.

I did 7 miles.  I had problems breathing today.  The 83F and 72 dewpoint might have been why.

Damaris