Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies (Read 43 times)

LRB

...if you ask me what I'm wearing I have to look down.

lol

onemile

Oh. That's correct then. Either I have been very lucky with my choices (i.e. what the LRS pushed) or just don't have very discriminating feet.

I first went to the LRS and they put me in Saucony Guides. They were fine. The next time they suggested Adrenalines. They were fine. When I first went to buy 2, the sales rep at the LRS told me she felt like the Adrenalines were bricks & I should try the Ravennas as they were a bit lighter & more flexible. They were also fine. I honestly can't tell the difference between any of them, if you ask me what I'm wearing I have to look down.

I think some of us are just more particular.

LRB

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Got stuck in court until now. Running late for my running date. I might have no time for weights tonight. Sigh.

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I ended up going to Fort Sam Houston and did hills...3.8 miles of hills - and these ain't baby hills either!  6 uphills and 3 downhills.   It was QUITE wet and rained on me the whole way.   At one point, I had a funny moment.  I'd just crested one of the hills and had come to a stop sign and there was this Army major sitting in his vehicle at the stop sign, and he had a canoe tied to the top of his SUV.  I walked over and tapped on his window and he rolled it down, and I said to him, "Jeez, Major, just how much rain are you expecting today?"  At which he laughed out loud and said "Thanks very much, I was having a bit of a bad work day and I needed a laugh!"  Glad I could help! I was quite soaked when I got back to the gym and the post-run hot shower felt GREAT.  I actually felt much better after that, so maybe I ran some of the crud out of me.  Got back home and took a short nap too, and that seemed to help also.  Back to work tomorrow.

I also got my notice from the military hospital that my annual physical is scheduled for next week (for me, it is always done in my birth month), so if there is anything going on - hopefully not - I guess they will catch it....cuz the military does not screw around...I will have all kinds of blood work, x-ray, MRI, ye olde prostate exam - thankfully, I have a very nice lady doc as my Primary Care Physician and she has small hands - ,  my orthopedic doc will check my hips, knee, and spine, my surgery doc will check my hernia mesh, etc., etc.. etc......my yearly physical takes a while....they are very thorough!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I just ate enough for two.

Two what?

LRB

Two what?

Now I am drinking enough for two.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

One of my friends got me cresting one of the hills at last Sunday's Super Bowl 7K.....yeah, I don't exactly have what you call 'good running form', lol...but I get where I want to go.

LRB

Nice pic Scotty!  Are those the train tracks to nowhere? lol

Little Blue

Scotty, you look a whole bunch better than the guy in front of you.  Looks like the hill got the best of him.

LRB

Scotty, you look a whole bunch better than the guy in front of you.  Looks like the hill got the best of him.

+1

Looks like he's calling Uncle Earl. lol

Half Crazy K 2.0

5.6 miles.

Those with more cold weather experience, I need your thoughts. If it is below about 35, I never seem to get warmed up. As in, at no point in tonight's run did I ever feel warm or loose. My legs, especially my hamstrings felt really tight, or maybe they were just frozen. The plan I am loosely following calls for short hill sprints 2x per week. My thinking has been to skip them when I feel like this to avoid a pulled hamstring (or worse). Sound logic, or should I suck it up and do them?

LRB

Sound logic, or should I suck it up and do them?

Well when you're talking muscle tightness you do not wanna screw around with that. I generally run 3 miles easy before getting into the quality portion of a workout but there have been times when I extended that to 3.5 miles or more depending on the temps and my easy pace, which by mile 3 should be fluent ad effortless.

There is also the time factor where you just do not have enough time and distance to get in the requisite workout like me today for example. 3 x 1 at tempo pace is usually an 8 to 9.5 mile workout for me but I just did not have the time for that today so I jumped into the intervals sooner than I normally would have and ended up with 6.5 miles total.

In any event when in doubt err on the side of caution.  That stupid plan will always be there but risking your good health is never worth it.

Hip Redux

5.6 miles.

Those with more cold weather experience, I need your thoughts. If it is below about 35, I never seem to get warmed up. As in, at no point in tonight's run did I ever feel warm or loose. My legs, especially my hamstrings felt really tight, or maybe they were just frozen. The plan I am loosely following calls for short hill sprints 2x per week. My thinking has been to skip them when I feel like this to avoid a pulled hamstring (or worse). Sound logic, or should I suck it up and do them?

What did you wear?   Really, at 30-35 degrees, you should get plenty toasty if dressed OK.  Unless there's something else going on...

Half Crazy K 2.0

What did you wear?   Really, at 30-35 degrees, you should get plenty toasty if dressed OK.  Unless there's something else going on...

Merino wool base layer + Nike Pro top. Light weight capris with Under Armour Cold gear tights on tops. Wool socks. Hat.

During the week, I run after work, so for the first half hour, I get some daylight, then it gets dark.