Beginners and Beyond

Columbus Marathon RR (Read 127 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats!

Damaris

meaghansketch

Wow, SIAR, what a phenomenal, inspiring race.  From not even a year ago making the goal to go under 3 hours to going under 2:50 is absolutely amazing.  It was great to read how you were feeling mile by mile.  I think one of the biggest challenges in a marathon is the mental challenge of not slowing down when your legs are feeling heavy and you still have a long way to go, and you did a really great job of powering through, not just keeping pace but actually picking it up.

I am glad you are so thrilled with the race-- take a minute to bask in that happiness, you so deserve it.  Congratulations!

DavePNW

Wow. Just wow. Great race, great report, thanks for sharing. I think even more impressive than your blazing speed is your "smooth as granite pace". And I remember that vividly from your last RR as well.

Dave

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hog...I'm not sure if I caught that feeling or it caught me, but I did hang on.

Workinprogress...Strong at the end might be over-stating it just a bit, but I was still moving pretty well.  2:45 is the big goal, so I hope it's as attainable as you mentioned.  I do need some different training for that, but I'm kinda looking forward to it.

Bplus...Thanks!  I don't know how I keep setting PRs by big amounts.  Taking 16 minutes off my marathon PR in April, and then another 6 minutes off in this one, hardly seems possible.  All credit to Brad Hudson and to loads of extra miles I guess.  I have no doubt that you can get to sub 2:50 and it will be fun seeing you train for it.

Lilac...Glad you like the smile...even though I kinda look like hell and joy combined, I think that's a picture I'll always want to hang on to.

Ric...I think that's why I usually just try to avoid the mental math and just focus on each mile.  As long as the pieces are good, the whole should be too, right?

Oski...I don't know about the confidence.  I seem to race best when I have some doubts beforehand, but I am learning to trust that I belong with some of the runners that are around me.  And your race idea sounds fun...at least the post-race beers part!  I better keep the race long or I'd get smoked by those guys.

Jack...He had to be telling the truth, right?  It really was such a great comment, and so much different than someone just saying that you're looking good.

Lily...Please!  I so appreciate your comments, but surely that's not me you're talking about.  And the only reason you know about the effort and dedication it takes is because it's the same energy you put into your own training.  But the reward certainly was sweet this time.  Thanks for always cheering me along.

Awood...thank you...and you're totally on your way to smashing some killer goals yourself.  Consistent training and thoughtful racing is definitely the way to getting there, at least in my experience.

Docket...Many gracias(es)

Meaghan...Thanks for your thoughtful comments.  I've read a lot about actually trying to run "past/through" fatigue by picking up the pace, and have been playing with it in training for a while.  It's very difficult to do, but it seems to work.  And don't worry, I'm definitely going to enjoy this one for a few days.

Dave...I do seem to do well with the even pacing.  As with anything else though, it's important not to be one-dimensional so I really am trying to learn to surge and run different paces as well.  Still, at least for now, the even strategy does seem to be giving the best results in my marathons.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

I'll have to follow your template because sub-2:50 has to be the next big goal for me.

SIAR - *high five* Beast!  Your dedication to training is an inspiration, I'm going to have to save this RR as well and break it out on those awful wintry days sure to stand between now and Boston.

Spectacular race, it's very interesting that you purposely moved away from your peers, but ended up racing with them anyway until that point where it's just you vs. the distance.  What a strong finish, grinding out that last 10K with a singular focus on sub 2:50.

Thanks for raising the bar, B+ and I have work to do now.  Wink   (And that fantasy RA pace group would be amazing, we could throw in some L&O people as well... Quinn, Fuzzy, Heidi, Goo if he wanted to sandbag, lol)

LRB

...my friends from the running club...the girl to my left ran, and is running Boston in April.  The one is red is doing her first marathon this weekend, and the blond just ran the Rock n Roll half

You keep some damn good company my man!

Congrats on a great race!  You and the other members of our group who recently joined Club Sub-2:50 are really inspiring and are the epitome of why we should never say never.

Baboon

delicate flower

That sounds like some fantastic execution!  It's more impressive considering you had your doubts but went for it anyway.  It really sounds like everything came together and clicked on race day.  Gotta love it when that happens.  Congratulations, SIAR! 

<3

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Jay...I don't see you having any trouble getting out there for some winter training, but I'd be honored if this RR gave you a little kick in the pants every once in a while.  I'm not going to lie, I did throw beating your time in there as one of my race goals!  But hey, if you can crush me in the shorter-faster races, I can have a minute or two in the marathon, right?  And I could definitely roll with that RA group you threw together there - would be a blast.

LRB...Hey, what'd you expect from me? lol  And you're right, no reason to say never.  Since my first marathon in 2010 I've taken 40 minutes off my time.

Baboon...Thanks for reading!  It's hard not to have doubts, but these felt even more "real" than ones I've had in the past.  I'm glad I risked it, but like you said, I also owe a lot to everything coming together as far as course, conditions, and people to run with.

LRB

And you're right, no reason to say never.  Since my first marathon in 2010 I've taken 40 minutes off my time.

That's what the f I'm talking about....although in my case, I would probably need to double that to make your time.  Joking

RabbitChaser

Now that sounds like an Awesome race. Congrats on getting the sub-2:50 marathon. Thanks for sharing the RR.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

SAIR, it was exciting to read your RR! I'm very happy that you surprised yourself and was able to reach such a milestone! Great job!

- Andrew

CT JEFF

SIAR - great RR - as others have mentioned, it was great to follow along in the sub 3:00 world. Smile awesome job hitting your goals. I like the photos as well. Great race support! Interesting comments people make as you're running. That "gonna hit the wall" comment would have had me thinking for a while even if I didnt think it was about me. Awesome that you were able to make it under in chip time with such a fast start after the elites.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

B-Plus

Congrats again and thanks for your comments on my race. I was definitely hoping for a SIAResque result when I picked it up around half way.

MothAudio

I thought I replied earlier.

Congrats on a textbook race. Savour these moments. I was watching as the runners passed about a 1/4 mile down from the 1 mile marker and again on their return trip. I was the only spectator [I'm sure] that was wearing split shorts! After seeing my buddie come through [he ran 3:01] I jogged down to the last aid station to volunteer and saw him finish the last 1/2 mile but you'd already flew past by that point! Seemed like the running gods provided ideal conditions for the runners with no wind and cool temps [at least for those finishing under 3 1/2 hours as it seemed to warm up around 11-12].

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Moth...Shoot, wish I had thought to look for ya down there.  And you're right, I probably could have found the split shorts among the parkas that everyone else had on.  It was cold for them, but you're right, that was picture perfect racing weather.  Whatever little wind there was, I was usually blocking it with the pack I was in.  Sounds like your friend ran a great race too!

Bplus...Your race was definitely APlus!

Jeff...Thanks for the comments.  You're right, hearing that comment about the wall was really hard to tune out.  It stuck with me for at least a mile, but I'm glad I let it go and controlled what I could.

Brr...Thanks...it was a hell of a surprise!  Nothing like waiting for the wheels to fall off and never having that happen.

Rabbit...It felt awesome.  It does kinda make me feel like I'm do for a bad one now though lol.

Lrb...If we can get you healthy you'll be there sooner than you think.