Beginners and Beyond

10 Sports Nutrition Myths (Read 202 times)

Love the Half

Nice article from Matt Fitzgerald:

10 Sports Nutrition Myths

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Better I Leave

I would agree with much of what I perused through. I'll check it out in greater detail after this upcoming meeting.

Hip Redux

Research has shown that carbohydrate loading has no effect on performance in races lasting less than about 90 minutes.

Dammit, there goes my 5k carbo loading!

BruceD555

Research has shown that carbohydrate loading has no effect on performance in races lasting less than about 90 minutes.

Dammit, there goes my 5k carbo loading!

Yes, but you needed to read the whole article ... and in my opinion confidence improves performance ... therefore by the transitive property carbs improve performance. Case settled. Wink

Endurance athletes as successful as six-time Ironman winner Dave Scott have never carbo loaded. That said, it does no harm, so if it gives you confidence, go ahead and carbo load.

Train smart ... race smarter.

MrNamtor

until recently i did think that cramping was from dehydration. I've only cramped (my calves) after running a longer distance than i ever have.

MrNamtor

Yes, but you needed to read the whole article ... and in my opinion confidence improves performance ... therefore by the transitive property carbs improve performance. Case settled. Wink

Endurance athletes as successful as six-time Ironman winner Dave Scott have never carbo loaded. That said, it does no harm, so if it gives you confidence, go ahead and carbo load.

good point

MrNamtor

actually though if you're diabetic or in any way insulin resistant, carbo loading might cause you to bonk pretty hard in a race. But for normal people that's probably not true

GC100k

Summary: the actual details of the forms of fueling are not that important (1,2) except when they are (7,8).

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

actually though if you're diabetic or in any way insulin resistant, carbo loading might cause you to bonk pretty hard in a race. But for normal people that's probably not true

If you're diabetic then you probably shouldn't be blindly following nutrition myths from the internetJoking.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

If you're sane then you probably shouldn't be blindly following nutrition myths from the internetJoking.

FYP.

Dave

scissorbill

"

6. Muscle cramps are caused by dehydration.

The idea that exercise-related muscle cramps are caused by dehydration and/or electrolyte depletion originated from a single flawed study conducted almost a century ago. More recent science has clearly shown that there is no correlation between dehydration levels and risk of cramping.

Instead, muscle cramping appears to be a symptom of a type of neuromuscular fatigue that is caused by unaccustomed exertion (this is why muscle cramping occurs almost exclusively in races) and occurs in athletes who have some sort of innate susceptibility to cramping. Drinking more fluid and consuming more electrolytes have not been shown to reduce cramping risk in susceptible athletes in races, with the exception of one study showing that sodium-loading before prolonged exercise delayed the onset of cramping."

Nice to see this. A running friend had cramping in her first marathon and then started taking Endurolytes and didn't have cramping in her second marathon.  But she also trained more for her second marathon which is why I believe she had no cramping!

MrNamtor

If you're sane then you probably shouldn't be blindly following anything from any sourceJoking.

Fixed it even more

MrNamtor

I'm sure though that i believe hundreds if not thousands of things that are not true and completely baseless.

How many years did we all believe that water goes down the drain one way in the northern hemisphere, and another way in the southern one for example? Didn't you feel like an ass when you finally learned the truth?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Quote from Adam_McAllen on 5/2/2013 at 5:02 PM:

If you're sane then you probably shouldn't be blindly following anything from any sourceJoking.

Fixed it even more

Might as well reinvent the wheel at every step along the way. Throw out textbooks, education, libraries, and all other forms of accumulated knowledge.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MrNamtor

Might as well reinvent the wheel at every step along the way. Throw out textbooks, education, libraries, and all other forms of accumulated knowledge.

the key word there is "blindly".  You know half the "knowledge" of any age is proven to be complete nonsense by the next generations. Well, I don't know the percentage but a lot of it. Maybe with time most of it.